Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Coolant Low Message

Views : 19811

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 30th, 2012, 18:28   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exasperated View Post
I've got a 4 month old car - was in for its 3 month check 3 weeks ago and now this am it's saying coolant low, stop safely. Checked coolant and it's well below the minimum level. How can this happen?
Top it up to MAX when cold , you now have a datum point then let your dealer know what you have done so that they can log it . If it gets towards minumum again let them know .
Old Mar 31st, 2012, 22:20   #12
baldur

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotgc View Post
Personally I would just monitor the situation, if there are no visible signs of leakage and the loss is minimal there is nothing to worry about.
My friend with his about 9 months old car got coolant low message recently. He went to the garage and they found a leak - but nothing was visible under the car. Mechanic said that if a leak is small, coolant could stay on the protection located under the engine and evaporate from it when driving, so be careful and it's not a bad idea to go to the garage for checking if you have coolant low message.
baldur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2012, 08:39   #13
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldur View Post
My friend with his about 9 months old car got coolant low message recently. He went to the garage and they found a leak - but nothing was visible under the car. Mechanic said that if a leak is small, coolant could stay on the protection located under the engine and evaporate from it when driving, so be careful and it's not a bad idea to go to the garage for checking if you have coolant low message.
coolant doesnt evaporate as you will discover if you spill some . Leaks will leave a very noticable white/blue stain .
Anyone with a recent D5 with low coolant message should let their dealer know , it is in their own interests to get any problem fixed in the warranty period ...
Old Sep 22nd, 2017, 09:15   #14
xc60ed

Had a low coolant warning this morning and I have checked and the level is just below minimum. Car was only serviced 1500 miles ago and I wound hope the coolant level was checked then. Anyone else had this issue? XC60 MY 16 D5 Geartronic 37500 miles. I will get it into dealer as soon as I can.
xc60ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2017, 09:58   #15
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
coolant doesnt evaporate as you will discover if you spill some . Leaks will leave a very noticable white/blue stain .
Anyone with a recent D5 with low coolant message should let their dealer know , it is in their own interests to get any problem fixed in the warranty period ...
And the white stain is caused by the evaporation of the coolant leaving the residue which is the stain ...
Old Sep 22nd, 2017, 17:11   #16
ianrmz250

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc60ed View Post
Had a low coolant warning this morning and I have checked and the level is just below minimum. Car was only serviced 1500 miles ago and I wound hope the coolant level was checked then. Anyone else had this issue? XC60 MY 16 D5 Geartronic 37500 miles. I will get it into dealer as soon as I can.
Yes same problem here with my new to me MY 12 D5 XC60 49000K. Found coolant leak from bottom right corner of radiator (when sitting in car), only small drips and needs topping up every 2-3 weeks or so.
New rad in my garage and genuine Volvo coolant ready to fit when i get time before winter.
And yes white stains all over the lower engine cover, probably been leaking for months.

Last edited by ianrmz250; Sep 22nd, 2017 at 17:14.
ianrmz250 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ianrmz250 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2017, 08:22   #17
Worthingmike

It is interesting that other people have a problem with low coolest. I had a xc60 2009. My problem started in Italy in holiday. I was up in the mountains when low coolant warning came on. I had to top it up about every 4 to 5 miles. I used about 4 litres of water. So was losing water but couldn't see where it was coming from. The next day I drove to the Volvo garage which was 25 miles away. No water loss on the way. The garage could find no leak. I drove back to the house all fine. The next day I had gone about half a mile and low coolant warning. When I tried to top up the top of the expansion cap came off. Volvo break down collected the car and took it to a different Volvo Garage . They said water pump leaking and slight leak from radiator. Both changed. A year later back in Italy the same warning came on. It was wet around the expansion tank. A new expansion tank was fitted. I was keeping a good watch on the water level. All was fine 600 miles each day on the way back home. Two weeks later, low water level warning after 30 miles. Topped up and 20 miles later again the warning. We then did a holiday to Scotland which is 450 miles each pulling a caravan. No water loss. I would have thought if you are losing water you normally continue to lose it. The only think I noticed was when removing the expansion cap was it was often under a vacuum. Once the vacuum was released the coolant level would often rise. All the cars I have had i have never had a intermittent water leak. So I will be interested in what people find wrong. I have since sold the car, but still have a xc60 d5
Old Sep 24th, 2017, 12:12   #18
xc60ed

Dealer couldn't find a leak so topped up the coolant and see if it drops again. Apparently there's no known problem with the D5 so I'll see how it goes.
Old Sep 24th, 2017, 14:37   #19
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc60ed View Post
Dealer couldn't find a leak so topped up the coolant and see if it drops again. Apparently there's no known problem with the D5 so I'll see how it goes.
They should read their service bulletins more thoroughly ...
Old Sep 24th, 2017, 16:12   #20
xc60ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
They should read their service bulletins more thoroughly ...
I will keep a close eye on the level then and book it straight back in if it drops at all.