Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to detail properly!!

Views : 4009

Replies : 47

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 21st, 2014, 19:30   #1
675rrr

Default How to detail properly!!

Everycar I own has always had this treatment!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP-eAddv2sk

I bought this off ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PLATINUM-C...item1e866cc76b

The rest you will see off the videos.

Enjoy
Old Feb 21st, 2014, 20:24   #2
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

His videos (having viewed some of them in the past) are okay.

As for the polisher I won't comment.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2014, 20:31   #3
675rrr

Of course you can buy a polisher for 500 pounds if you want.
Old Feb 21st, 2014, 23:20   #4
Ninja59

I never said 500 pounds in fact a decent rotary or DA is not much more, but your backing plate, pad selection and polish selection is far more critical.

Additionally a rotary for people without testing it without trying a DA and with unproven pads is asking for trouble.
Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 06:55   #5
675rrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja59 View Post
I never said 500 pounds in fact a decent rotary or DA is not much more, but your backing plate, pad selection and polish selection is far more critical.

Additionally a rotary for people without testing it without trying a DA and with unproven pads is asking for trouble.
Hold on a minute pal

I put this on here to help people look after their cars.

If they follow the video that i have posted then its impossible to do any damage, do you think i would put a link on this site to let people damage there cars?

Relax a bit imho
Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 07:50   #6
Ninja59

Quote:
Originally Posted by 675rrr View Post
Hold on a minute pal

I put this on here to help people look after their cars.

If they follow the video that i have posted then its impossible to do any damage, do you think i would put a link on this site to let people damage there cars?

Relax a bit imho
A video is only okay to learn basics of how to machine polish, it is no way a replacement for actually trying out machine polishing itself (under guidance or with scrap panels), machine weights vary, how they operate vary there are lots of variables.

Stating it is "impossible to do damage" is a load of tosh you hit one bit of an issue you could be through the clear coat in no time needing a respray of the affected panel (experience tells me and the number of professionals that do this day in day out that cars are forever getting less factory paint) and in a section with 20-30K plus cars a video is never going to be a replacement from learning from someone nor is it going to be a replacement for trying out the machines. It does not matter to you if they go through the clear and anyway this forum has a disclaimers it is at the owners risk anyway.

Why do you think so many detailing product traders run machine polishing training days and taster days that are almost always fully booked? Some of them are even free, some will probably even let you use the gauges and have some tuition on your own car a taster day is a lot cheaper than a respray and buying items where you know to an extent some of quality is really where it is at.

Last edited by Ninja59; Feb 22nd, 2014 at 07:56.
Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 13:06   #7
675rrr

Obviously your a detailer and dont want people to do it themselves.

You obviously havent looked at all the videos.

Nevermind I was only trying to help other people.

Ill delete this thread
Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 13:29   #8
Ninja59

I never said that I am a just a passionate hobbyist who has spent lots of my own time around professionals and manufacturers, seeking the right advice, asking questions and where necessary trying machines out on spare panels etc. Thanks to that I have a lot of people who I can contact should I need to (or they can help me get in contact with X).

I have looked at those videos to know that the machine he is using is a DA and the machine you are recommending in the link above is a rotary. Which IMO for someone that has not been behind any machine is not the way to go, first as I said I would go to a taster day and try things out and see what suits and ask lots of questions. It is alright for someone with experience to say I will use a rotary for this and DA for that. But initially a DA is far less aggressive than a rotary, however the DA's of old are less smooth although this is changing. Ultimately what I am saying is use your head for a novice getting the right advice and trying machines out is the way to go rather than jumping straight in. (I would like to know how that leads to your conclusion that I don't want people to polish, I never said that I just want people to be honest that there inherent risks with machine polishing and get the right advice to avoid disasters and instead of being scared they have actually got some experience and confidence to machine).

Ultimately though it is anyone's choice on here but if they want to take that huge risk and start polishing without any advice from professionals, trying machines out etc. that is their own choice. But as I said originally only a small amount can be learnt from reading and watching as nothing can prepare you for the physical nature of polishing, technique, resolve issues or stop them from occurring at all.

Last edited by Ninja59; Feb 22nd, 2014 at 13:33.
Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 14:27   #9
675rrr

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Meguiars-g...item1c3cb163f4

Better
Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 14:32   #10
Ninja59

Quote:
Which IMO for someone that has not been behind any machine is not the way to go, first as I said I would go to a taster day and try things out and see what suits and ask lots of questions
Helps if you read my post.