Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to detail properly!!

Views : 4022

Replies : 47

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 14:41   #11
cheshired5
Premier Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 675rrr View Post
That made me laugh.
I for one, appreciate your input and what you're trying to do to help fellow members.
We're all grown up enough to make our own decisions when tackling a new job and we're all grown up enough to decide whether a job is beyond our skill level.
If the answer to every question was, "seek professional advice", there'd be no need for a forum.
If it worked for you and you recommend it, I say thank you for bringing it to my attention.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 14:42   #12
watchboy

675rr, I completely get that you are offering advice and pointing people in the direction of a video guide and potentially a suitable polisher. Whilst it may well help people understand the process Ninja is merely pointing out that whilst it may look straight forward there are certain considerations that we should be aware of if we are going to have a go at machine polishing.

I trained as an apprentice panel beater, sprayer and mechanic, my father had his own accident repair business for many years before moving in to paint, consumables and panel supply so I would hope I have a reasonable idea of what us involved.

Ninja makes a valid point regarding the differences between a DA and Rotary polisher. Anyone looking to invest in a polisher that has never done it before would be advised to try a DA first and a training / Taster day would be invaluable!

I'm not taking sides just trying to add what I can based on my knowledge and understanding. You both make valid points and have provided sound advice, is it really worth falling out over?

Paul
watchboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to watchboy For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 14:46   #13
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Personally I would rather pay someone else to do the mind-numbingly boring task of detailing a car, wash and polish is as far as I go and if I can find someone to do it for tenner then they will get the ten quid - my time is better spent doing other things
The Following User Says Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 15:34   #14
675rrr

ahh bollocks

Ruined a good thread

Admin delete it
Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 16:44   #15
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
That made me laugh.
I for one, appreciate your input and what you're trying to do to help fellow members.
We're all grown up enough to make our own decisions when tackling a new job and we're all grown up enough to decide whether a job is beyond our skill level.
If the answer to every question was, "seek professional advice", there'd be no need for a forum.
If it worked for you and you recommend it, I say thank you for bringing it to my attention.
Nice to see things are still the same from your point of view since the DPF thread...
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 16:58   #16
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja59 View Post
Nice to see things are still the same from your point of view since the DPF thread...
Huh?
I don't understand what you're implying.
Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 19:55   #17
m2srt

A DA is not idiot proof! Prevention is better than cure. Washing your car with a lambswool mitt and the 2 bucket method is the best way to avoid swirls and RDS's. The xc60 has an Aluminium bonnet and under 100 microns of paint depth. I am planning a correction this summer with the help of a professional detailer (Matt @ obsidian detailing).

Also, its worth pointing out that the type of pad used will make a huge difference! To a beginner who insists on 'diving in', I would suggest using something like Lake Country Constant Pressure pad and maybe a polish with only a small amount of cutting power. If you need more insight, Detailing world is a great forum with a lot of friendly people.

Previously, MY2013 XC60 SE LUX D5 Geartronic.
m2srt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 20:01   #18
m2srt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
Personally I would rather pay someone else to do the mind-numbingly boring task of detailing a car, wash and polish is as far as I go and if I can find someone to do it for tenner then they will get the ten quid - my time is better spent doing other things

Trust me, a £10 wash will ruin your paintwork. This is my paintwork after 18 months. 1 or 2 swirls (correcting this summer) but no where near the amount I would have by using a 'hand scratch wash'.
POP2.jpg

Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 21:35   #19
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2srt View Post
A DA is not idiot proof! Prevention is better than cure. Washing your car with a lambswool mitt and the 2 bucket method is the best way to avoid swirls and RDS's. The xc60 has an Aluminium bonnet and under 100 microns of paint depth. I am planning a correction this summer with the help of a professional detailer (Matt @ obsidian detailing).

Also, its worth pointing out that the type of pad used will make a huge difference! To a beginner who insists on 'diving in', I would suggest using something like Lake Country Constant Pressure pad and maybe a polish with only a small amount of cutting power. If you need more insight, Detailing world is a great forum with a lot of friendly people.
I never said it was not idiot proof just less so.

As for DW being friendly hahaha!
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 11:37   #20
m2srt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja59 View Post
I never said it was not idiot proof just less so.

As for DW being friendly hahaha!

Lol, let me rephrase that. Friendly with strong opinions! lol

The Following User Says Thank You to m2srt For This Useful Post: