Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > Trader's Offers & Discounts
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Trader's Offers & Discounts A forum for discussing special offers that are available to VOC or Forum members. Commercial organisations must first seek permission to post details of products.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

UK's car insurance premiums on the rise again.

Views : 2799

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 17th, 2017, 14:33   #11
ChrisKnottIns
Trader

Insurance is all about assessing the risk. How is it discrimination if a particular demographic consistently performs poorly? Answer me this - if it was your own personal money that had to pay for all claims how would you decide what to charge for a premium?

Wouldn't you start applying risk criteria quite quickly?

VOC Insurance is administered by Chris Knott Insurance

Simply call the VOC dedicated quoteline on 0800 023 4374 for your free no-obligation quote and see how much you could save.
ChrisKnottIns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 15:20   #12
Dancake
Premier Member

I would have considerably more moral fibre than insurance companies, and therefore would never find myself in a position where I would be ripping people off. You cannot argue that insurance companies don't rip people off, otherwise they wouldn't be bragging about their immense profits. I don't see insurance companies offering rebates because of drops in risk. The risk criteria is undoubtedly discriminatory. How can you tell me that particular demographics perform poorly, and are therefore subject to increased premiums without admitting discrimination? Are insurance companies not aware of who the offenders are? Surely you're all in cohorts with each other to protect your 'investments'? Therefore you should be able to discriminate against those who actually cause the issues, rather than the innocent majority.

What about hiking peoples premiums due to non-fault accidents? How do you explain that one? People would be absolutely stupid to inform their insurance company about a non-fault accident, because it will inevitably lead to a black mark against them when it comes to renewal.
Dancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 16:56   #13
ChrisKnottIns
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancake View Post
I don't see insurance companies offering rebates because of drops in risk.
It happens when you notify changes such as change of address or change of vehicle and the risk has improved. I see it all the time.

Quote:
Are insurance companies not aware of who the offenders are? Surely you're all in cohorts with each other to protect your 'investments'? Therefore you should be able to discriminate against those who actually cause the issues, rather than the innocent majority.
Until they 'offend' there's no way of knowing who they are. By the time one finds out the damage has already been done. There's no better model for assessing the risk that a particular driver is likely to present than comparing them to others like them as closely as possible.

Why don't you propose a foolproof model and we can examine it together?

Simply call the VOC dedicated quoteline on 0800 023 4374 for your free no-obligation quote and see how much you could save.
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 17:01   #14
Dancake
Premier Member

My proposal would be a government run insurance scheme, with price brackets for different vehicles based on performance and actual repair costs. Bring an element of equality back into the equation.
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 17:03   #15
ChrisKnottIns
Trader

Quote:
Brokers, i.e. the middle men, adding additional cost to peoples premiums that doesn't need to be there.
Just spotted this comment too - that's also incorrect I'm afraid. It's a different route to market for insurers so they pay us commission OUT OF the premium rather than having to pay advertising for example - there's no extra cost. Indeed some insurers only deal via brokers.

Old Mar 17th, 2017, 17:10   #16
ChrisKnottIns
Trader

Quote:
My proposal would be a government run insurance scheme, with price brackets for different vehicles based on performance and actual repair costs. Bring an element of equality back into the equation.
So you wouldn't differentiate between young, inexperienced drivers and older, experienced drivers for example?

Old Mar 17th, 2017, 17:11   #17
Dancake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKnottIns View Post
Just spotted this comment too - that's also incorrect I'm afraid. It's a different route to market for insurers so they pay us commission OUT OF the premium rather than having to pay advertising for example - there's no extra cost. Indeed some insurers only deal via brokers.
Do you think the commission payments aren't recouped (and then some) by increasing the price of individual policies?
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 17:16   #18
Dancake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKnottIns View Post
So you wouldn't differentiate between young, inexperienced drivers and older, experienced drivers for example?
No, because you don't have any proof of individual skill levels, particularly when it comes to hazard perception and reaction times.
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 17:25   #19
ChrisKnottIns
Trader

Quote:
No, because you don't have any proof of individual skill levels, particularly when it comes to hazard perception and reaction times.
OK, so presumably young drivers would start paying less than now and older drivers more - to level it out? Straight away you're making older drivers pay for the mistakes of the younger ones.

One in five newly qualified young drivers will have an accident within six months of passing their test, figures show.

In 2015, while 17 to 19-year-old drivers made up only 1.5% of licence holders, they were involved in 12% of deaths or serious injury accidents. That's just a 2 year age bracket. In serious injury cases the compensation payouts are higher because they have a higher number of years of life expectancy ahead - care costs or loss of earnings are calculated for a longer period.

I don't think you've yet proved you have a better model.

I've only commented on the young driver risk. We can move onto mileage and use next if you like. Though it'll be Monday now.

Old Mar 17th, 2017, 17:37   #20
Dancake
Premier Member

You work in the industry, so you're naturally biased. What about the 4 out of 5 young drivers that don't have accidents? You're happy for them to foot the bill even though they've done nothing wrong? As for older drivers paying for the mistakes of younger drivers, from what I can see it's a case of all drivers regardless of age are paying to line the pockets of shareholders and stakeholders. Insurance companies crying about increases in taxes is a joke.

Last year as an example, Admiral made pre-tax profits of £193 million in the first 6 months of trading. With an average of 4 million customers, that's an extra *£48.25 per customer. So last year my policy cost nearly an extra £50 because Admiral wanted to boost their profits. Did I get any extra cover for it? Not a chance.

*Total yearly profits would obviously increase this price.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dancake For This Useful Post: