Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Paint 94 Colour difference...

Views : 1120

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 7th, 2017, 22:32   #1
omc 47
VOC Member

Default Paint 94 Colour difference...

Hi everyone,

I am giving my Amazon a good refurb before putting it back on the road after 30 years in a dry garage,my problem is after replacing the inner wings and stripping out the engine bay I decided to give the whole area a good rub down and a coat of paint, I got code 94 mixed and today being a warm day sprayed the area only to find the colour is slightly greener that I'd hoped.
94 does have a habit of changing in different lights but it's definately not right and I've asked another paint mixer company this afternoon and they came back with an even greener shade...................so I've decided to have a mix made from the top inner door panel which will mean the mixer will be adding shades to the original menu, has anyone else had probs with shade matching? and no the car has not been resprayed.

thanks all, Andy
omc 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2017, 09:43   #2
tdz840
VOC Member

Yep exactly the problem i had. In the end they used some sort of comparitor slide to get the correct mix.
Normally available at good paint shops
Russ
tdz840 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tdz840 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 9th, 2017, 09:48   #3
Palmer 221

this happened to me when i painted the engine bay (i bought paint from the same place he did), after talking to the guy who sprayed the car, he used a black a black primer to give a deeper paint finish.
Compared with the grey primer, the finish was noticalbly darker in indirect sun light. and over all looks less green.

I personally prefer the darker finish

Last edited by Palmer 221; Jul 9th, 2017 at 10:10.
Palmer 221 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Palmer 221 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 9th, 2017, 10:41   #4
omc 47
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer 221 View Post
this happened to me when i painted the engine bay (i bought paint from the same place he did), after talking to the guy who sprayed the car, he used a black a black primer to give a deeper paint finish.
Compared with the grey primer, the finish was noticalbly darker in indirect sun light. and over all looks less green.

I personally prefer the darker finish
Thanks Russ and Palmer for the feed back,it's reasurring to know I'm not alone. Yesterday I added a touch of black to my mix and with careful increments eventually got very very close so I've resprayed the engine bay again and I am pleased with the result.
Now this week I will be picking up some "matched" mix paint which should be spot on.................

Andy
Old Aug 30th, 2017, 14:24   #5
wowoguy

Default 94 green

Had exactly the same problem with 94 green. Got mine from CARS at Ipswich; the guys there are very good and advised 50 years or wear does things to paint. As there are a number of small rust issues around the car I have taken the plunge and will be stripping off all the chrome and getting a full body overhaul by a guy who has done two Amazons and a P1800 (green, blue and red respectively). I parked mine by the green resprayed Amazon at the Cranleigh Rally a couple of weeks back and agreed that car was good enough. the renovator is going to match the paint off the inside of the doors. Keeping everything crossed.
wowoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wowoguy For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 30th, 2017, 17:49   #6
omc 47
VOC Member

the renovator is going to match the paint off the inside of the doors. Keeping everything crossed.
Thanks for that, yes I ended up using the door panel top for a match and it does work, although in certain lights you could be fooled by this colour.
When I first bought the car I though it was an original colour all over but now I can see darker shades in places where some accident damage was remedied on the rear including a new panel.............and I thought Silver Grey Metallic was bad enough (for those familiar with modern finishes they will know what I mean)
Anyway good luck I'm sure it will be OK ..........

Andy
The Following User Says Thank You to omc 47 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 3rd, 2017, 14:42   #7
wowoguy

Default 94 Green

Last weekend I went to a classic car meet in a field by a Sussex pub (good location) and about 70 cars turned up. I parked my green Amazon near a number of green cars. There were two old Jags and two not so old MGs, all described as British Racing Green and all very clearly different colours. The oldest Jag had at least three BRG colours on different panels of the same car.
Old Sep 3rd, 2017, 22:18   #8
Uncle Benz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowoguy View Post
Last weekend I went to a classic car meet in a field by a Sussex pub (good location) and about 70 cars turned up. I parked my green Amazon near a number of green cars. There were two old Jags and two not so old MGs, all described as British Racing Green and all very clearly different colours. The oldest Jag had at least three BRG colours on different panels of the same car.
Queens Head, Barns Green?

I had planned to attend, but work got in the way. Good turnout by all accounts.

Might have seen your car in the Waitrose car park in Horsham? Not many green ones 'round these parts...
Uncle Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Benz For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 12:56   #9
wowoguy

Smile Queens Head meet

Yes, Queens Head at Barns Green. It was a really good turn out. Even though it wasn't a car the guy on the gate let the Army track driven armored personnel carrier in; he said he thought he shouldn't argue!

There were two great American trucks there off the Wheeler Dealer TV show owned by a guy in Chichester. Excellent turnout. There was a good mix of Volvos, a white 440, a blue 245 and a white P1800 plus my Amazon.

Yes, I'm not proud, I do admit to shopping at Waitrose so I am guessing it was my green 131 you saw. I didn't realise there was another Amazon owner in Horsham.
The Following User Says Thank You to wowoguy For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 15th, 2017, 21:51   #10
Uncle Benz

You won't see mine about for a while! I bought a '67 Amazon estate from member John Smith in Portsmouth. Had been partially stripped, and in his garage since about 1981. Requires a bit of sorting and a coat of paint, but no rot in the body at all! When I start on it I will post up some pictures. Hoping to look at it over the winter...
Uncle Benz is offline   Reply With Quote