Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Chinese S90s stuck on trains in Poland...

Views : 6912

Replies : 80

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 1st, 2017, 11:23   #11
Lexman8
Premier Member

^^ My thoughts too.
Old Sep 1st, 2017, 11:33   #12
Jimrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustaff View Post
It appears that we have the same problem in Sweden. I was expecting delivery of my S90 T5 Inscription next week but today it has been changed to delivery week 40
Being in Sweden, that must be particularly annoying!
Jimrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2017, 11:41   #13
Matt2e

Quote:
It appears that we have the same problem in Sweden. I was expecting delivery of my S90 T5 Inscription next week but today it has been changed to delivery week 40
I'm sorry for my ignorance ... when is delivery week 40? Is it just the 40th week of the year (W/C 2nd October)?

Have you been offered any 'apology gifts' by Volvo for the delay? With an Inscription you'll already have most of the toys....

Good luck in any case.

Cheers,
Matt.
Matt2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2017, 12:09   #14
Matt2e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippy View Post
I would have thought they would have been shipped here? Quicker, cheaper as well.
The theory is that the cars are 'shipped' on the One Road, One Belt rail infrastructure ... takes 20 days (when it works), is supposed to be quicker than shipping (which takes 30 days) and less prone to delay through bad weather (for example). You are right though using marine traffic is cheaper.

I am laughing my head off thinking of the meeting where a 'business brain' suggested that shipping can be delayed so letting the train take the strain is much better.

I ordered mine in March to be with me by the end of July (that is 4 months to get it built and delivered) and now it is going to be AT LEAST 2 months later than that. 6 MONTHS to get a car ... sheesh!

And just imagine being Gustaff ... he lives in Sweden for goodness sake and is having to wait for the car to be delivered from Daqing in China. What a flippin' shambles.

We'll get them in the end ... BTW does anyone know what the enhancements will be in a MY19 model, I've seen the MY17 come and go while I've been waiting, am currently waiting for a MY18 version?

You just have to laugh eh?

Cheers,
Matt.
Matt2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2017, 12:28   #15
Gustaff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2e View Post
I'm sorry for my ignorance ... when is delivery week 40? Is it just the 40th week of the year (W/C 2nd October)?

Have you been offered any 'apology gifts' by Volvo for the delay? With an Inscription you'll already have most of the toys....

Good luck in any case.

Cheers,
Matt.
Yes, that would be the 40th week of the year. Please forgive any 'swenglish' expressions from me

Although I would appreciate any 'apology gifts' from Volvo I'm sure I will be happy enough once the car is delivered.

Ordered: S90 T5 Inscription FWD 2018
Gustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2017, 12:55   #16
Jimrod

Quote:
Yes, that would be the 40th week of the year. Please forgive any 'swenglish' expressions from me

Although I would appreciate any 'apology gifts' from Volvo I'm sure I will be happy enough once the car is delivered.
Mine's due 16th of December but I'm wondering now if there will be a knock-on effect - I'd want more than an apology because 4 months seemed plenty of time to build a car and my current lease runs out then so I'd need to find another car to tide me over! :|
Jimrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2017, 13:05   #17
Gustaff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrod View Post
Mine's due 16th of December but I'm wondering now if there will be a knock-on effect - I'd want more than an apology because 4 months seemed plenty of time to build a car and my current lease runs out then so I'd need to find another car to tide me over! :|
The railroad from Germany to Italy that is the root cause of this problem is said to be repaired first week of october. I would not be too worried in your case.

Ordered: S90 T5 Inscription FWD 2018
Gustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gustaff For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 19th, 2017, 16:29   #18
ianmkirk

Firstly - hello everyone - finally joined after much researching on the site as a guest.

I have the same issue..

Ordered my S90 from Mill Volvo Stockton on 05/08/2017. Knew what spec I wanted but the build times meant near a November delivery. So was advised of pre-built cars, one of which had a similar spec with just a few extras that I would have to pay up for - but would be ready for new registrations (01/09/2017) even if it wasn't the colour and leather colour I really wanted.

Went ahead with it, and then has just turned into a bit of a mess... I have been given 7 different delivery times, swinging to and forth by about 2 weeks each time. Latest I heard was that it was this German rail issue causing hold ups and all blame was put on Car Supply.

Volvo provided a V40 for me to get around in after advising me to sell my car. This I accepted as for 2 weeks until collection of the S90 it was a good gesture and wasn't too fussed about what - just that I needed a vehicle.

I was told I would be kept updated if the delivery date changed by even a day...

I call up on Friday just gone to confirm still ok for me to collect the car the following Sat (23/09/2017) - only to be told "you're kidding aren't ya.." by the dealership before being advised it now shows 28th October!! So much for being kept up to date. Furthermore the loan car they have provided expires on 4th October!

So I have been back in touch with Volvo UK and advised there is a reason I ordered an S90 - I have a family that requires a big car (huge car seats, that don't even fit in the V40!) and a job where I often travel to meetings for which a V40 hatchback isn't really the image I would hope to portray at my age / role (don't meant that to sound snobby - but there is a reason I ordered the S90). As such, have advised that as this is a Volvo UK supply issue (even if one that is beyond their control, it is an issue in their supply chain and not any of my doing) - they, having advised me to sell my car with the confirmation of being kept mobile - have a legal obligation to do so - and that providing a vehicle not of similar standard and that is not fit for purpose is not fulfilling that obligation.

They have confirmed they should be collecting the V40 later this week and swapping out with a more suitable sized vehicle - such as XC60/90 or V90.
(Will keep you updated if this promise is kept.. many of theirs have not)

I have advised that this car buying process (my first with Volvo) has been nothing short of abysmal. Especially so in comparison to my previous experiences with Mercedes that have been nothing short of luxury and effortless.

It annoys me as the bottleneck on the rail lines is set to clear early October, meaning Nov dates car deliveries are likely not affected. Hence I could have ordered the spec I wanted and received the car likely only a matter of days after I will be receiving my "pre-built-ready by Sept 1st" car.

So, in response to the OP, I have been advised of the same issue and it does indeed look like it is a genuine (albeit preposterous) reason for significant delay.

I shall keep you up to date with how I get on and what redress is provided (already been offered £250 Vovlo Care vouchers when it was delayed 3 weeks, so not sure what that will settle on as/when the car is finally delivered up to 7 weeks late).
ianmkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2017, 22:32   #19
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmkirk View Post
Firstly - hello everyone - finally joined after much researching on the site as a guest.

I have the same issue..

Ordered my S90 from Mill Volvo Stockton on 05/08/2017. Knew what spec I wanted but the build times meant near a November delivery. So was advised of pre-built cars, one of which had a similar spec with just a few extras that I would have to pay up for - but would be ready for new registrations (01/09/2017) even if it wasn't the colour and leather colour I really wanted.

Went ahead with it, and then has just turned into a bit of a mess... I have been given 7 different delivery times, swinging to and forth by about 2 weeks each time. Latest I heard was that it was this German rail issue causing hold ups and all blame was put on Car Supply.

Volvo provided a V40 for me to get around in after advising me to sell my car. This I accepted as for 2 weeks until collection of the S90 it was a good gesture and wasn't too fussed about what - just that I needed a vehicle.

I was told I would be kept updated if the delivery date changed by even a day...

I call up on Friday just gone to confirm still ok for me to collect the car the following Sat (23/09/2017) - only to be told "you're kidding aren't ya.." by the dealership before being advised it now shows 28th October!! So much for being kept up to date. Furthermore the loan car they have provided expires on 4th October!

So I have been back in touch with Volvo UK and advised there is a reason I ordered an S90 - I have a family that requires a big car (huge car seats, that don't even fit in the V40!) and a job where I often travel to meetings for which a V40 hatchback isn't really the image I would hope to portray at my age / role (don't meant that to sound snobby - but there is a reason I ordered the S90). As such, have advised that as this is a Volvo UK supply issue (even if one that is beyond their control, it is an issue in their supply chain and not any of my doing) - they, having advised me to sell my car with the confirmation of being kept mobile - have a legal obligation to do so - and that providing a vehicle not of similar standard and that is not fit for purpose is not fulfilling that obligation.

They have confirmed they should be collecting the V40 later this week and swapping out with a more suitable sized vehicle - such as XC60/90 or V90.
(Will keep you updated if this promise is kept.. many of theirs have not)

I have advised that this car buying process (my first with Volvo) has been nothing short of abysmal. Especially so in comparison to my previous experiences with Mercedes that have been nothing short of luxury and effortless.

It annoys me as the bottleneck on the rail lines is set to clear early October, meaning Nov dates car deliveries are likely not affected. Hence I could have ordered the spec I wanted and received the car likely only a matter of days after I will be receiving my "pre-built-ready by Sept 1st" car.

So, in response to the OP, I have been advised of the same issue and it does indeed look like it is a genuine (albeit preposterous) reason for significant delay.

I shall keep you up to date with how I get on and what redress is provided (already been offered £250 Vovlo Care vouchers when it was delayed 3 weeks, so not sure what that will settle on as/when the car is finally delivered up to 7 weeks late).
What exactly is the image portrayed by the v40?

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Exec, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2017, 23:04   #20
ianmkirk

Firstly - may I preface my commentary with absolutely no negativity towards the V40 or any owners of the model.

Personally, for work I have to often travel with colleagues to present to boards where a larger exec saloon would be the norm. Additionally sheer practicality means it is not as pleasurable to travel across the region with colleagues / clients in the back of the V40 compared to something more accommodating in the back seats such as the S90 I have ordered - that is just matter of fact - it's a far far smaller car in the rear.

That also goes for luggage and inability to accommodate luggage for overnight stays if there are 4 of us travelling on work.

And my youngest child's car seat doesn't fit in the V40 rear seat without me moving uncomfortably close to the steering wheel.

So - not a practical car FOR ME - but that is why I wouldn't order one.
ianmkirk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
china, one belt, one road, s90