Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Amazed!

Views : 623

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 23rd, 2017, 00:08   #1
Jcbrown

Red face Amazed!

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/owners...BoPWjQ#image=1

Volvo joint equal most dependable brand!

Amazing that when I was having all the fun-and-games with both of my S90s, how many BM/Merc/Audi/Jag... owning friends of mine drolled on and on about how their marques are always #1 in reliability surveys (yet changed the subject when asked to back that up with proof). How they do 70K+ a year without a single issue (unless you count that thing that went wrong, oh then the other thing broke, and didn't your whatsit snap last week ...). How they have never even had to replace a bulb (no YOU haven't, you pay the garage to do it because you are mechanically inept)....

Despite all the troubles I had, over both S90s, I am still glad I stuck with it. I see 10's if not 100's of 5s, Es, A6s, XFs every day, yet still only seen about 3-or-4 other S90s in the 8 months I've had mine.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not slating the 5s, Es, etc, they are damned fine cars in their own right, and some are no doubt better in a multitude of ways over the S90. But I like to be different (just like everyone else does )

Last edited by Jcbrown; Sep 23rd, 2017 at 00:14.
Jcbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2017, 06:43   #2
FauxSven

Imagine what the forums look like if you have a beemer!
Ours is bad enough and we are #1.
Maybe now we should all start enjoying our highly reliable vehicles and thank god that we dared to be different...
FauxSven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2017, 09:13   #3
Roosterb

I'm amazed at those stats too. I had to request Volvo on call within 24 hrs of buying my MY17 XC90 due to complete Sensus failure.
Roosterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2017, 10:19   #4
Lexman8
Premier Member

I'm a bit sceptical about these types of surveys as they are based upon unverified opinions (not necessarily from actual owners) rather than certifiable facts and are therefore open to abuse. A couple of things in particular struck me about this survey. Why do the they use the word dependability rather than reliability? Weasel word, perhaps? And Lexus doesn't make it into the top 25 most 'dependable' brands. Really?

The link below shows reliability by manufacturer based upon actual claims made to a warranty company. Of course as most cars come with a 3-year warranty (at least) these stats are for cars older than that. It'll be interesting to see figures for the current XC90 in a few years time.

http://www.reliabilityindex.com/manufacturer

These rankings should also be viewed with some scepticism (for example, do they allow for sample size in the analysis) but in general the rankings feel about right based upon real-world experience.