Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

AN IMMACULATE 240 GLT SALOON.

Views : 1086

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 16th, 2004, 20:24   #1
240 TURBOR.

Hiya,

I have had a 244 GLT for the past two years and have totally rebuilt it. On the 16 of august this year I was travelling along a dual carrage way and a elderly women reversed out of her drive at speed and right in front of me. I coulden't swerve because a big truck was in the other lane. The nearside wing and inner wing and bonnet were bent back, nearside lights and te bumper were smashed. The insurance company said its an economical writeoff. I took it to my mechanic, he said it will cost about 1,750 and thats without spraying. I simply don't have the money, to say im gutted is an understatement. I have spent over 3,500 pounds on the car it was looking and driving ltke brand new. Parts replaced (all brand new) include:

-suspension all round,
-steering rack,
-brakes,
-bushes,
-and many more.

Nothing in the engine bay was damaged or any of the body panels apart from the ones mentioned. Black leather intertior.

I had the five speed (M47) gearbox rebuilt at a cost of well over 800 all parts were replaced using genuine volvo parts. Each one of the bearings cost 50 plus. The bushes in the linkage were all replaced including the clutch. I would only sell this if I got a good offer due to the cost. All receipts were kept. Everything on the car is mint including alloys, apart from a slight tear on the drivers seat.

The engine is supurb, at my local volvo dealership I was told by one of the old mechanics that it is the best glt he has driven, it pulls like a train. I was also told that this is due to the engine never being hammered.

If you need a part to keep your pride and joy going let me know.
All offers considered.

All the best,

Steve.

Old Oct 19th, 2004, 07:08   #2
morsing
Premier Member

Default RE: AN IMMACULATE 240 GLT SALOON.

I had the same problem with the insurance company writing off my car. Does anyone know if it's possible to insure cars for more than the market value when you drive more than the 5000 miles per year most insurance companies set as the limit?

Cheers
'70 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
'95 Saab 9000 CSE 2.0 Turbo Auto
morsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 14:10   #3
vjck_uk
Premier member

As you have spent so much on it mechanically,then have you considered repairing some if not all yourself.
Most of the repair costs would be labour,you could get the panels and bumper yourself second hand (good ones are available) and even if you did a lot of the work it would drasticly reduce the costs.
Most of the parts you mention are only bolt on.
The spraying would cost a heck of a lot less if you prepared it and masked it yourself.
vjck_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 17:00   #4
240 TURBOR.

Hiya Henrik,

To be honest I don't know. All I know is that there is some confusion at the moment as to the value of mine. It looks like I will be getting next to nothing. However if you need anything for your 240 let me know.

All the best

Steve.
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 17:11   #5
240 TURBOR.

Hiya,

Yes I would like to do this but the chassis leg is bent and the inner wing has been ripped away so this would would need cutting out and a new one welding in. I had the car looking so nice and know it wont ever be the same again. Thanks for your reply.

Regards,

Steve.
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 08:16   #6
morsing
Premier Member

> It looks like I will be getting next to nothing. However if you need
> anything for your 240 let me know.

Hi,
I got £300 as a write off when someone dented my wing and door. Cost me £800 to fix.

I would like to insure it for more but I drive 20000 miles a year so I don't think it's possible.
'70 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
'95 Saab 9000 CSE 2.0 Turbo Auto
morsing is offline   Reply With Quote