Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

oil in air intake from air filter box to bottom of inj...

Views : 1723

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 24th, 2003, 15:40   #1
245diesel

Default oil in air intake from air filter box to bottom of inj...

Hi Just doing yearly service on 1989 glt and have found oil in air intake from filter box to injection unit bottom of air filter wet with oil. engine has done 67K any ideas please. thank you.
245diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 01:18   #2
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Default RE: oil in air intake from air filter box to bottom of inj...

Check that your PCV system is clear. The PCV filter sits just below the inlet manifold in the area of numbers 3 & 4 cylinders. A large pipe comes vertically to the bottom of the filter "Y"-piece from the oil seperator box on the side of the block. The filter is in the top end of the "Y"-piece which can be replaced (the whole "Y"-piece) for a small sum from G, S & F. The "Y"-piece has a small branch with a small bore pipe going to a brass fitting on the inlet manifold (usually on top). The small bore pipe gets hardened and brittle and easily clogged with time. This needs to be replaced and the brass fitting needs to be thoroughly cleaned. After this work has been done the engine will no longer throw oil all over the place. G, S & F also do the kit which raises the "Y"-piece above the inlet manifold for much easier access.

Also thoroughly clean the inlet tract (from air filter box to inlet manifold). This task should be done every two years to preserve the smooth running.

All the best, Peter
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 06:59   #3
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Peter has described the set up for a petrol engine - but yours is a diesel I presume, 245diesel? May be different, but I am sure the general principle applies - clean out the ventilation system, oil traps, manifold nozzles, etc.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 00:35   #4
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

I thought that at first Clifford, as he gave his name as 245diesel. But on closer inspection of his message I noted that he said "a friends 245 GLT" which is a petrol engined model, I think with B21 engine. Still, we can be comforted by "great minds think alike, but fools seldom differ". Not that I consider anyone a fool until they prove it. You, certainly, are not a fool and I will fump the first one to say you are.

All the best, Peter
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 02:41   #5
245diesel

Default RE: oil in air intake from air filter box to bottom of...

Thank you for the information I cannot find the items you refer to, are they under the injection apparatus,Do you have to remove same to get at the items.In my first post I did not refer to a friends car?.The car is a 1989 GLT petrol.I got the GLT as a weekend car along time ago, To answer the second post I do have a 1992 K reg 245 fitted with a Nissan 6 cylinder diesel engine mated to a auto box this was fitted in 1996 by Excalibur of Derby and is still giving good service. Thank you for your help.
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 22:32   #6
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

It is quite fiddley but can be reached without removing anything. Look for the oil seperator box which is bolted just above the sump line on the block skirt towards rear of block. Coming out of the top is a short thick hose ending in a plastic body which thickens at the top end (where the filter is) there is a small pipe attached to a stub on the filter housing which goes to a brass stub on top of the inlet manifold. These are the items that need cleaning/replacing. The brass stub may need to be removed to ensure it is clean. The items are under the manifold very near to numbers 3 & 4 cylinders.

All the best, Peter
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 17:02   #7
245diesel

Thank you Peter.it was awkward but I did find all the parts that you described, will invest in a replace one from GS>F, also the kit to raise it.Thank you very much for your information.Much appreciated.
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 12:02   #8
alain6qd

morning,

had this a year and a half ago,maybe two years?? and after much debate on this forum best decision was change the lot, new y piece, filter and did the oil trap. the lot came to £24.00 from a volvo main agent.
unbolted the injector from manifold but not much room to manouver so just took it off. whole job about an hour and a half.

never had a problem since, tho' i change the oil/filter twice a year and flush as well,

hope that this helps, everyone here helped me. thanks for that
alain