Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 Cambelt

Views : 2208

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 1st, 2019, 18:18   #1
gray 3

Default D5 Cambelt

Hi All
See if you can help me.
Putting my XC70 in for a Service it’s 6 years old 72000 miles.
It’s got a full Volvo history with the same Dealer.
When going to book it in was
told it needs a Cambelt service.
I was thinking it’s 10 years or 108000 miles
And with the service it’s going to be a eye watering
£900.
What do you lot think.
Thanks for your Help
Gray
gray 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2019, 18:28   #2
green van man
Premier Member

My 59 plate xc70 is 5 years 54,000 auxiliary belt 10 years108,000 cam belt and auxiliary belt according to the handbook.
As mine doesnot do the milage the belts get changed on time interval. I change the tensioner with the belt. The air con belt also needs changing as it's a stretch belt one use only.

Auxiliary belt was changed at 5 years on 45,000 miles and this year auxiliary belt and cam belt are due with 75,000 miles on the clock.
Given the cost of failier then I consider preventative maintenance value for money.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2019, 19:52   #3
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray 3 View Post
Hi All
See if you can help me.
Putting my XC70 in for a Service it’s 6 years old 72000 miles.
It’s got a full Volvo history with the same Dealer.
When going to book it in was
told it needs a Cambelt service.
I was thinking it’s 10 years or 108000 miles
And with the service it’s going to be a eye watering
£900.
What do you lot think.
Thanks for your Help
Gray
The trouble with the D5 seems to be that it is not the belt but the idler/tensioner, and much more likely the aux belt that goes so I would have no confidence in just having the belt done, get it all done. I did mine at 80k and the belt showed no wear.

I will say you must be simply insane to take this to a Volvo dealer. It is one of the simplest belt changes you could do. T60 Torx has the aux belt off (the cover has 2 bolts) that’s an easy 15 minutes.

Off with the front wheel and the wheel arch liner moves to the side, 15 minutes.

Advance the crank round and align the cam, there are marks on both from the factory, 15 minutes.

The idler and tensioner are a bolt, 1 each with 25Nm, 15 minutes. The idler/tensioner for the aux belt is pulled up with 60torx and an Allen key held pushed in to hold. 15 mins.

You could buy cam belt, aux belt, idler and tensioner from a volvo dealer for £200 quid and a garage could fit in 2 hours with a tea break. That’s 350 quid max.

I would have a trusted independent do that. Unless you have a impact wrench and a trolley jack in which case I would do it myself.

900 quid. My goodness, don’t pay that!!!
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2019, 19:59   #4
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
The trouble with the D5 seems to be that it is not the belt but the idler/tensioner, and much more likely the aux belt that goes so I would have no confidence in just having the belt done, get it all done. I did mine at 80k and the belt showed no wear.

I will say you must be simply insane to take this to a Volvo dealer. It is one of the simplest belt changes you could do. T60 Torx has the aux belt off (the cover has 2 bolts) that’s an easy 15 minutes.

Off with the front wheel and the wheel arch liner moves to the side, 15 minutes.

Advance the crank round and align the cam, there are marks on both from the factory, 15 minutes.

The idler and tensioner are a bolt, 1 each with 25Nm, 15 minutes. The idler/tensioner for the aux belt is pulled up with 60torx and an Allen key held pushed in to hold. 15 mins.

You could buy cam belt, aux belt, idler and tensioner from a volvo dealer for £200 quid and a garage could fit in 2 hours with a tea break. That’s 350 quid max.

I would have a trusted independent do that. Unless you have a impact wrench and a trolley jack in which case I would do it myself.

P.s I did do mine myself, aux belt, cam belt, aux idler and tensioner and cam belt idler and tensioner. Water pump and coolant change. It was about 300 all in and 4 or 5 hours. I have no mechanical qualifications.
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 2nd, 2019, 06:50   #5
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post

Don't you need to lock the cams?

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2019, 14:53   #6
andyg
S80 D3 Geartonic 2013

I've had a couple of D5s. They were both aux belt at 54k / 5 years and cambelt at 108k / 10 years. Since you have the full Volvo history of your XC70 you should see that the aux belt has been done already? I suggest that you discuss the cambelt schedule with the garage. Seems a tad early to me.
2000s: 1 x S60 diesel. 1 x S80 diesel.
2010s: 1 x S80 diesel.
andyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2019, 18:55   #7
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
Don't you need to lock the cams?

Paul.
No,

Once you have the wheel liner pulled back you simply turn the 30mm nut clockwise on the crank to align both the crank and cam shaft (they both have timing marks on them from the factory. Then you remove the belt and fit new parts.

It is possible to move the cam (not easily ) so you move it back or forth to fit it back into place. They are rigid with the belt off so you will not turn it will just move a small amount.
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 2nd, 2019, 20:33   #8
Scooser

Just had my 58 plate V70 cambelt done at 10 years at my Volvo Indy at a cost of £250.

If you want to use a stealer, head down to Snows in Winchester or Southampton.
£299 for a cambelt change or £399 for cambelt plus aux belt change. All inc. VAT. Or try to get a price match from your local dealer.

https://www.snows.co.uk/volvo/afters...m-belt-change/

Bargain for a stealer!
Scooser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scooser For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2019, 19:29   #9
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooser View Post
Just had my 58 plate V70 cambelt done at 10 years at my Volvo Indy at a cost of £250.

If you want to use a stealer, head down to Snows in Winchester or Southampton.
£299 for a cambelt change or £399 for cambelt plus aux belt change. All inc. VAT. Or try to get a price match from your local dealer.

https://www.snows.co.uk/volvo/afters...m-belt-change/

Bargain for a stealer!
Trouble is the cambelts don’t fail, at 80,000 miles I could still read the writing on mine! The aux belts fail but by far the worst parts are the idlers and tensioners. I would see that as 299 quid down the drain to be honest.
Old Apr 3rd, 2019, 20:11   #10
gray 3

Default D5 cambelt

Hi All
Thanks for your comments.
Phoned Volvo HQ very helpful.
Cambelt needs Changeing at 10 Years 108.000 miles.
So will be changing my Volvo Dealer.
And yes Snows Volvo are a good Price on Cambelts.
But I Don’t need one.
So just putting it in for a Service at a new Volvo Dealer.
Happy Days
Gray 3
gray 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gray 3 For This Useful Post: