Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50/S40 DPF or FAP filter removal

Views : 60641

Replies : 133

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 16th, 2010, 22:58   #11
7050man
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nallen132 View Post
Will the car still pass it MOT on emissions?
No, it will probably fail the particulate test.
7050man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 11:30   #12
faffi
Motorcyclist

Getting rid of the DPF will only to the engine good. Should give more power and a little reduction in consumption. I would most certainly not retain the DPF once the warranty was out and a replacement was needed. Thanks to Stew for sharing his findings
faffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 21:55   #13
markt1
Trader

All these filters dont make sense to me and yes im old school i was at a dealers the other day a vauxhall site to be precise and a new vxr astra cost £550.00 to tax come on Goverment you are taking the pee cars are more ECO then ever the goverment are taxing our/your butts to death and getting manufactures to fit more stupid filters that are costing us hundreds/thousands of pounds to mantain its time we stopped this goverment dictating to us as what tax bracket our cars belong in they are playing GOD and using green taxes just to pay their wages and to spend it how they seem fit what right have they got to say you car belongs in the £200 bracket they should be one set tax for all vehicles be them a 107pug or a s80 d5 they all take the same amount of road surface so again what right have they to screw us all the time im sick of it and the french have the best idea when they are sick of things with their country.
markt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2010, 21:57   #14
s40s

It seems I been talking too much on this matter and guess what my car got into limp mode with no warning of any kind. These were faults from generic ELM327 reader: P242F Diesel particulate filter Restriction – ash accumulation P2458 Diesel particulate filter regeneration duration. So I got my drill ready when realized that 1,6 diesel has particulate filter and catalyst in one in which case drilling is impossible unless you can cut it open and weld it back. I had only one option try to wash it and according to vida diagnostics I was successful ( Not only vida, cars pulls so well, I did not know it can be such fun until I cleaned DPF). Not to claim early successes I will write how I cleaned it if I manage 1000 miles. If not I’ll clean it again and bye bye Volvo (Use to be good make until ford got their hands on it).
s40s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2010, 23:05   #15
faffi
Motorcyclist

I know my Mondeo Mk3 will easily pass MOT without catalyst (there is no DPF) and many remove them because it gives them more power and a little reduction in consumption. What I'm trying to say is that perhaps you could replace the whole unit with a straight pipe?
faffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 22:37   #16
Bryan271

Does this still work??
Bryan271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2011, 13:53   #17
grimweasel

Mine is up for renewal so I'm thinking of getting it cut out and having the ECU remapped? Will it still pass the MOT? I reckon it will becuase the same engine in the same year was shipped without the DPF and that must still pass the MOT?
grimweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 00:52   #18
7050man
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimweasel View Post
Mine is up for renewal so I'm thinking of getting it cut out and having the ECU remapped? Will it still pass the MOT? I reckon it will becuase the same engine in the same year was shipped without the DPF and that must still pass the MOT?
I'd check this out before using this arguement as basis for an MOT pass.

Each engine type (E3 early cars without DPF or E4 with DPF) may have different smoke emmission specification.

If your E4 engine suddenly becomes an E3, then more smoke may be emmitted that is outside specification.

I may be wrong of course, but my advice is to check this first.
7050man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 08:48   #19
Gel

Red face AA on avoiding DPF's!

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...e-filters.html
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 22:26   #20
grimweasel

Makes me wonder if the 60K diesel fuel saving over 60K on petrol is worth it once you take the DPF into account. Seems like another con that the motorist is expected to pay for. My mechanic said all modern diesels now have them and that they are a pain in the ar$e -better to go for a modern petrol engine was his advice!
grimweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to grimweasel For This Useful Post: