Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Guide to Pollen Filter change

Views : 69892

Replies : 201

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 21st, 2012, 20:01   #31
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvozx6r View Post
After nearly 6 years of being a volvo tech i can do it in under 5mins.
by bending the bracket no doubt
Old Dec 22nd, 2012, 00:54   #32
volvozx6r

Haha yes! How did you guess
volvozx6r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvozx6r For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 22nd, 2012, 09:27   #33
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvozx6r View Post
Haha yes! How did you guess
see my signature :-)
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 15:39   #34
sdraper90

Question

Does anyone know what the difference is between the two filters listed for the car, apart from one containing carbon and one not, are they both the same size? Mines a 2006 (56) if that makes any difference? Started getting a funny smell on start up, with the fans on

Cheers
sdraper90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 15:51   #35
Clan
Experienced Member

yes same size , the charcoal one is the standard fit and this filters out smells , Are you sure it is not stale wash fluid you can smell ? take a sniff down the wash filler tube ...
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 15:57   #36
sdraper90

Cheers ill get the carbon one, its due a change, ill check the washer fluid smells, but it's been filled up a few times over the last few weeks due to the salt
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 15:57   #37
sdraper90

On another note how much are you selling them for clan? Couldn't pm you sorry
Old Oct 4th, 2013, 20:12   #38
EricMe
V50 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welton View Post
Here's how I changed my Pollen Filter (multi filter):

It is also possible to do without disconnecting the battery or unplugging the CEM which prevents possible faults later.
Many thanks

I did this job today - possibly for the first time ever though it might have been done by the indy who did my 1 year service. Old filter wasn't quite as bad as I'd been expecting.

In spite of Welton's caveat in last para I disconnected battery then unplugged fusebox & removed it completely. Perhaps a bit soon to brag but I think everything is working again now that I've put it all back together.

One slight 'improvement' : when removing fusebox support bracket I used a 13mm box spanner as a standard socket just wasn't deep enough. No doubt a 'deep socket' would have been even better but I don't have one of them.

One problem with job was that I just couldn't fit both fusebox retaining screws. LH one was fine but RH one seemed to have a chewed up socket. I'm hoping that one will be sufficient.

Earlier in this thread, I mentioned that I thought my C-max pollen filter looked the right size. I can now confirm it's identical. Anyone wanting a new pollen filter might therefore find it in stock and cheaper at a Ford dealer rather than waiting for a Volvo dealer to order one.

Last edited by EricMe; Oct 4th, 2013 at 20:17.
EricMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2013, 20:22   #39
EricMe
V50 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricMe View Post
Good show ! Late 2008 ought to be one of the easier (or less hard anyway) models to work on.

Will perhaps have a go at it next month.

Meanwhile, I'd still appreciate knowing if dimensions of the Volvo pollen filter do match my spare Ford ones.
"Next month" proved a bit optimistic - I put it off for 18 months

I can also confirm that my 58 plate model did indeed have the 'new improved wing nut' rather than 3 bolts.
Old Oct 6th, 2013, 15:23   #40
EricMe
V50 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricMe View Post
In spite of Welton's caveat in last para I disconnected battery then unplugged fusebox & removed it completely. Perhaps a bit soon to brag but I think everything is working again now that I've put it all back together.
Getting somewhat OT I know but I think I've identified one new electrical fault that removing & replacing fusebox might have caused.

Originally, if you pressed (or lifted any) of the window operating switches for more than half a second (or thereabouts), that window would fully open (or close) on its own. This morning I've noticed that the drivers window motor only operates whilst switch id pressed (or lifted) and stops when I let go. Other three windows work as they used to.

Can't say that I'm exactly heartbroken at that; I've always found it very distracting to try & open my window by an inch or two - now that's dead easy ! However, the other result is that a long press on keyfob now only opens (or closes) three of my windows. Not yet decided if new benefit outweighs the new snag but if anyone can tell me which of the many plugs on the box I need to wiggle to try & cure it I'd be very grateful. No doubt wiggling the wrong one might introduce a new fault !

Tags
vaiotag