Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Guide to Pollen Filter change

Views : 69863

Replies : 201

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 9th, 2014, 16:13   #51
VenomS40
08 Volvo S40 SE Sport R-D

I was going to ask is there a better way as I couldn't get the CEM out the way enough to get to the bracket. I thought about disconnecting things but wasn't sure or not?

Is this the done thing to do is to just disconnect the battery and disconnect cables from the CEM?

Volvo S40 SE Sport R-Design + Winter Pack
VenomS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 10:13   #52
Welton
Premier Member

I lowered the CEM with the cables still connected (the floor carpeting must be pulled down though) don't get me wrong it's still very awkward and some would just unplug everything first.

Having just changed my Battery at the weekend I can report that apart from resetting the clock and the Audio Bass/Treble settings then there were no ill effects by disconnecting the power. The manual says to wait at least 5 mins after removing the key before disconnecting the battery, fine by me as I got busy removing the strut brace etc.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2014, 12:03   #53
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

Proud to join the ranks of those who have changed a pollen filter.

I removed the glove box which for me was worth the extra few minutes just to see what needs to be done. As others have done, I also removed the bracket holding the CEM.

So pleased to have the information from this forum as a guide before attempting this job.

Actually changing the filter was quite easy once all the above was removed
Missing Lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Missing Lincs For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2014, 08:28   #54
firozb

Thumbs up

Thank you very much!!

I cheated though - I didn't do it myself.
I gave my (very reasonable) mechanic these detailed instructions, and he didn't even battle with the pollen filter change, it was a piece of cake for him.
firozb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2014, 10:43   #55
Trabant Dave

I did mine this morning.....

A truly ghastly job, but made infinitely easier with your pics and walkthrough - without these I would probably have bitten off my own ear in frustration!

Many thanks

Dave
Trabant Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 11:29   #56
mir0k

Here we have the steering on the left side. Guess how ridiculous it is to change the pollen filter in these cars.
The filter is located behind the gas pedal, you have to remove the pedal and there isnt room for doing anything.. now the filter "door" has only 1 screw - not gonna try to get the other 2 back in there.
mir0k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2015, 15:59   #57
Haste

Thank you for this guide! Apart from dropping one of the nuts from the brackets down under the carpet! It went without a hitch! About 30-40 minutes to get the old filter out and put everything back together (minus any filter!)

Once I could see which filter it was I bought a new filter and took 10 minutes to fit the new filter...it's easy when you know how! But no way could I have done the job without this guide.
Haste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2015, 15:36   #58
julianps
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loskie View Post
supposed to be done at every dealer service; I wonder how often that it actually is!!
Mine's certainly been through two services without a change (despite them charging for the labour component).

So, in my experience they miss at least two out of every five changes.
julianps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2015, 15:40   #59
julianps
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mir0k View Post
Here we have the steering on the left side. Guess how ridiculous it is to change the pollen filter in these cars.
The filter is located behind the gas pedal, you have to remove the pedal and there isnt room for doing anything.. now the filter "door" has only 1 screw - not gonna try to get the other 2 back in there.
I saw a demo on Youtube where the mechanic removed the closest peddle to gain better access.

Isn't this problem common to Ford/Focus too; certainly the local car-parts sites (ECP/CP4L) list them as the same part. The problem of cars without clean filter's must be fairly ubiquitous.
julianps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2015, 17:43   #60
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianps View Post
Mine's certainly been through two services without a change (despite them charging for the labour component).

So, in my experience they miss at least two out of every five changes.
The pollen filters are dated so easy to see roughly when they were last changed ,, some can look clean after 3 years , some filthy in one year in the city or countryside with leaves and dust being sucked in ...

Tags
vaiotag