Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 Park Assist Pilot retrofit questions...

Views : 3230

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 4th, 2015, 22:29   #1
KrisJ

Default V40 Park Assist Pilot retrofit questions...

Hi guys,

I am actually hoping some people with inside knowledge of Volvo operations might be able to comment (or anyone els of course).

I have a new MY2016 D2 (the 2.0l, 120 hp engine).

The car comes equipped with the rear park sensors but seeing how I come from a 10 year old Ford focus with better visibility all around and given the fact that the front bumper on my V40 is so nice but also sticks out quite a bit, I would feel much more comfortable having front sensors as well, particularly in garages where you sometimes want to move the care as far into the spot as possible ...

It is a bit daft that Volvo only offers front sensors as part of the park pilot system (which I really do not need, I just need some help in sensing the space in front) but nonetheless, it is offered as a retrofit accessory:

PAP accessory page

The quote I got from the dealer is actually quite reasonable and not much higher than the price of the factory fitted version.

However, looking at the installation instructions, the upgrade requires:

1) Punching holes in the bumper (obviously)
2) running a loom from the engine compartment through the passenger floor

Regarding the hole punching I am worried that doing something like this on an already painted bumper might somehow result in roughly edged holes and chipped paint. Or that these punched holes might lead to paint chipping off over time.

How do they do this in a factory install: are these holes normally pre-moulded (i.e. are these bumpers a special part no.) or are they always punched?

Secondly, the instructions mention that, to get the loom into the car, cuts need to be made in the insulation and the wire needs to run through a grommet. The necessary cuts seem to be quite large and the finish on the wire running through the grommet needs to be done with tape. I am somehow worried that, if the installer is not careful or inexperienced this might lead to poorer insulation of the cabin or even moisture eventually getting in.

The dealer obviously tells me this will all not be a problem but that is what they always say.

Therefore, if some of you have experience with this, I would love to hear. Am I worrying too much? If not, I'd rather have no sensors than a brand new car that would never be "right" again after a botched install...
KrisJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2015, 11:15   #2
volvo for ever
Premier Member

there is 2 special hole cutters 2 different sizes ,ive fitted this to v40 before easy enough to get wire into cab there is a rubber grommet on nsf bulkhead if you can imagine it being lhd where steering gear would go throug bulk head thats where you get access ..you need correct cutters to be perfect

regards.
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2015, 10:53   #3
KrisJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo for ever View Post
there is 2 special hole cutters 2 different sizes ,ive fitted this to v40 before easy enough to get wire into cab there is a rubber grommet on nsf bulkhead if you can imagine it being lhd where steering gear would go throug bulk head thats where you get access ..you need correct cutters to be perfect

regards.
Thanks for the reply. However, my concern mainly lies with the act of punching those holes with the Volvo supplied accessories: I am a bit worried that this might not be as nice as with a factory installed system where the procedure for installing the sensors in the bumper probably is done differently.

I was hoping someone could provide feedback on whether or not the punches that are supplied with the accessory kit will be able to produce nice, clean results as opposed to having a scruffy looking result somehow...

Cheers,

Kris
KrisJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2015, 21:32   #4
volvo for ever
Premier Member

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by punches.when I fitted them I used 1/8 drill as pilot then 3/8 drill to open up hole which then allows me to get vvo special tool bolt through hole it makes perfect hole you need to sizes of cutters I wouldn't use anything else but these tools .it should give you part numbers with instructions..
Regards
Old Jun 10th, 2015, 09:11   #5
civilservant

We had parking sensors retrospectively fitted in a previous Volvo by the dealer. You could not discern any difference between those fitted at the factory or our retrospectively fitted sensors. Very professionally done.
civilservant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2015, 20:10   #6
volvo for ever
Premier Member

this is coz they used proper tools to cut holes ,i fitted 3 sets they look good
Old Jul 26th, 2015, 15:44   #7
chiptivo
Premier Member

Easier and cheaper to reverse into your garage.

Tags
park assist, retrofit, v40