Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Disable boot kick possible?

Views : 2183

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 3rd, 2017, 22:51   #11
Rooster
Speed freak

It can be disabled with a software download,

Ive done one to a customer that didn't like it
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2017, 09:29   #12
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
So far I've found it to need quite a deliberate sweep of the foot under the car, about a third of the way across from the left hand side.
It's not a sideways sweep but a kick forward to activate it. Once you get it right it works 100% of the time.
Old Mar 4th, 2017, 20:27   #13
nu11eaf
Premier Member

http://support.volvocars.com/uk/cars...ker;2242998]So far I've found it to need quite a deliberate sweep of the foot under the car, about a third of the way across from the left hand side. I can't imagine it opening while washing the car, as I certainly don't intend to do the motion while doing so.

Will certainly look out for errant opening, now that you have made me aware of the possibility.[/QUOTE]

http://support.volvocars.com/uk/cars...=2017&sw=16w46

watch the video on locks and alarms, it shows how to operate the tailgate with your foot. Other useful instruction videos there too.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Mar 4th, 2017 at 20:34.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 4th, 2017, 21:47   #14
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
http://support.volvocars.com/uk/cars...ker;2242998]So far I've found it to need quite a deliberate sweep of the foot under the car, about a third of the way across from the left hand side. I can't imagine it opening while washing the car, as I certainly don't intend to do the motion while doing so.

Will certainly look out for errant opening, now that you have made me aware of the possibility.
http://support.volvocars.com/uk/cars...=2017&sw=16w46

watch the video on locks and alarms, it shows how to operate the tailgate with your foot. Other useful instruction videos there too.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I found them long before delivery of the car though.
Quacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2017, 19:38   #15
172navigator

I removed the fuse and everything seems ok. No error messages were generated - so if you want to disable the foot mechanism simply pull fuse 15 in the rear.

You need to lift and remove the covers in the boot to reveal the spare tyre, pull the plastic storage box on the right side of the boot and then open then fuse box cover. There is a fuse removal tool inside the fuse box cover lid. Fuse 15 is a 5 amp fuse. A two minute job!
Old Mar 21st, 2017, 20:28   #16
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 172navigator View Post
I removed the fuse and everything seems ok. No error messages were generated - so if you want to disable the foot mechanism simply pull fuse 15 in the rear.

You need to lift and remove the covers in the boot to reveal the spare tyre, pull the plastic storage box on the right side of the boot and then open then fuse box cover. There is a fuse removal tool inside the fuse box cover lid. Fuse 15 is a 5 amp fuse. A two minute job!
So taking it one step further it wouldnt be too difficult to install a small rocker switch connected back go the fuse and voila a boot kick isolation method.......
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2017, 23:27   #17
172navigator

That is a great suggestion if the cable to the senor could be isolated then that would be a very neat solution. Not sure how easy it would be to identify the correct wire. A job for a warm day!
Old Mar 22nd, 2017, 00:01   #18
Quacker
Premier Member

I'm still not sure why anyone would bother. It hasn't yet opened or closed for me unless I have intended it to do so, but can see that it it is a distinct possibility.

If its for cleaning the car, the same applies as for doors locking. Just keep the key away from the locks. That is, not in your pocket. It could be left in the front of the car or in the house or whatever, but the kick to open and close just doesn't work unless the key is within literally a couple of feet of the door. Just like the other door locks.
That must be less bother than wiring a switch that isn't needed into the rear door circuit.

Unless I'm missing something fundamental of course?
I haven't tried leaving the key in the trunk yet to see if it stops the gesture close or open feature, or even the locks working. I'll try tomorrow while I have a spare key in the house, just in case it is possible to lock the key in the boot.

Last edited by Quacker; Mar 22nd, 2017 at 00:09.
Old Mar 22nd, 2017, 09:04   #19
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
I'm still not sure why anyone would bother. It hasn't yet opened or closed for me unless I have intended it to do so, but can see that it it is a distinct possibility.

If its for cleaning the car, the same applies as for doors locking. Just keep the key away from the locks. That is, not in your pocket. It could be left in the front of the car or in the house or whatever, but the kick to open and close just doesn't work unless the key is within literally a couple of feet of the door. Just like the other door locks.
That must be less bother than wiring a switch that isn't needed into the rear door circuit.

Unless I'm missing something fundamental of course?
I haven't tried leaving the key in the trunk yet to see if it stops the gesture close or open feature, or even the locks working. I'll try tomorrow while I have a spare key in the house, just in case it is possible to lock the key in the boot.
It can happen quite easily. The most likely occasions are when you're sitting on the boot to change shoes, when you're connecting trailer electrics (electrics are on the same side of the hitch as the boot opening mechanism, if one of the children just stands a bit too close and put a foot under or if you drop something in the area and reach under the bumper to retrieve it. The boot has operated on more than one occasion in all of these situations. I still love the feature and use it regularly, and generally speaking know when to put the key out of the way so it doesn't happen.

If it were any less sensitive I'm sure it wouldn't be as easy to operate when you want it to, so I don't see this as a flaw. However a feature to disable it when we're out walking and want to sit on the back to change boots, or when hitching up a trailer or bike rack would be most welcome. A check box to disable this feature under the door and locks setting section in Sensus would be ideal.

:wq
Old Mar 22nd, 2017, 09:59   #20
Quacker
Premier Member

In which case an isolator switch, along with a built in storage slot for the luggage cover, are things that Volvo might usefully consider to include in a future upgrade. They, or some enterprising individual, could even sell a kit for retrofitting a switch in the boot. There is a market for many cars, not just Volvo I imagine.