Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Burping or bleeding coolant system

Views : 11878

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 27th, 2018, 14:23   #11
fanvol

thanks guys. will follow the advice given here. however my problem now seems to be that the temperature gauge when i position turn the key im possition 2 is in red overheathing. No message on the display anymore but that after living the car still for 1 and half hour. Last time i try to start the car there was a rattling noise so I switch it of.

Last edited by fanvol; Jul 27th, 2018 at 14:29.
fanvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2018, 14:54   #12
cheshired5
Premier Member

Have you damaged the coolant temperature sensor wiring?
Old Jul 27th, 2018, 15:02   #13
fanvol

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Have you damaged the coolant temperature sensor wiring?
How can i know? I haven't touch in any wiring as far i am aware of
Old Jul 27th, 2018, 15:20   #14
oragex
Premier Member

From what I've seen, the coolant capacity on the non turbo petrol sits at about 5.8 liters. This is what I've measured, and also a Volvo tech confirmed (but again, Volvo techs can get it wrong on many occasions).

My understanding is that there's 5 liters in the block/radiator/reservoir that can be removed, plus an additional 0.8 liters inside the heater core that will stay in there (some may try to blow into the hoses to remove it but it won't work, most of it will still be trapped inside the heater core).

On the other side, the owners manual talks about some 7-8 liters, my guess is this a misprint (there was also a mistake with the power steering type so not unheard to have an error in the manual).

As someone else here, I'd warmly recommend genuine coolant concentrate (really not much more expensive that aftermarket ones) always mixed only with distilled water (see on pharmacies) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbelwS03tX4
Old Jul 27th, 2018, 15:21   #15
cheshired5
Premier Member

Do you have a workshop manual of any kind or are you just doing jobs and asking questions as you go?
Without a manual or an understanding of the area you're working on, you're going to come unstuck.
Old Jul 27th, 2018, 15:31   #16
fanvol

the problem was the radiator hose that had a crack i have now replaced the hose. The issue now could be air pockets inside system.
I can see also coolant split over the alternator as the broken radiator hose is just above. Could that explain the overheath issue with the temperature gauge permanently on red even after the car has been parked for 3 hours?
What can I check for the temp gaunge?

Last edited by fanvol; Jul 27th, 2018 at 15:35.
Old Jul 27th, 2018, 15:32   #17
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oragex;2430361[url
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbelwS03tX4[/url]
I'm not sure of the point you're making in this video as water is actually better than coolant at absorbing and moving heat.
This is why you must never have too high a concentration of coolant as your engine would be in greater danger of overheating than with water on its own.

The problem with water is that it's too volatile for a cooling system because it will freeze at low temperatures, boil at high temperatures and corrode the internals of the engine and cooling system.

The job of coolant is to lower the freezing point, raise the boiling point and provide corrosion resistance.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 27th, 2018, 15:39   #18
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanvol View Post
the problem was the radiator hose that had a crack i have now replaced the hose. The issue now could be air pockets inside system.
It couldn't.
The only thing that would blow a radiator hose would be a stuck closed thermostat, an incorrectly fitted thermostat, a defective thermostat wobble pin, a physical blockage in the system, excess pressure from a faulty expansion cap, damage to the hose from contamination or cutting, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanvol View Post
I can see also coolant split over the alternator as the broken radiator hose is just above. Could that explain the overheath issue with the temperature gauge permanently on red even after the car has been parked for 3 hours?
No.
Old Jul 27th, 2018, 16:09   #19
fanvol

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
It couldn't.
The only thing that would blow a radiator hose would be a stuck closed thermostat, an incorrectly fitted thermostat, a defective thermostat wobble pin, a physical blockage in the system, excess pressure from a faulty expansion cap, damage to the hose from contamination or cutting, etc.

No.
OK. now we are getting somewhere. The rubber of the hose that was damaged to me look as it was in good condition. It seems to me that this hose was under excessive pressure and eventually failed. Why would the thermostat fail during the change of coolant ? I took from the advice that I wouldn't need to worry about trapped air in this car but I believe this may have been the cause of this issue.
Any other theory?

Last edited by fanvol; Jul 27th, 2018 at 16:12.
Old Jul 27th, 2018, 16:19   #20
cheshired5
Premier Member

The advice you've had is tried tested and sound so any problem will be with the car or something you've done.
Diagnosing from distance isn't straightforward.