Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 2.0 D5 vs 2.0[390] T8 Momentum Pro

Views : 8213

Replies : 68

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 5th, 2018, 15:54   #21
Haldex
Premier Member

Driven as a city commuter, with a feather-light foot, connected to a charger day & night - yeah, I'll buy it - as you're essentially driving an 86hp €80K electric car.

In virtually ALL tests I have seen T8s averaged 30-ish mpg and worse.. Get real.. perpetuum mobiles do not exist..
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2018, 19:52   #22
MaDProFF
Master Member

I do not understand how some people cannot accept some facts, I can understand there is a lot of crap said on the internet, but I am sure some of you can actually decipher what is fairly reliable, and what is crap.

I drive my XC60 T8 varied, yes I can and do drive conservatively a lot of the time, but that is basically driving at the speed others are in front of me.

2 images of journeys:-

One image varied duel carriage way, and traffic etc. single carriageway, no one overtook me at any time. I overtake everyone.

The other, travel to Hackney in London at 4-30 ish to 5-30 ish AM, note distance and journey time, does not take a genius to work out a rough average speed, and that is 10% journey on 50 Average (not that you need to drive at 50) that is time I start the car to turning off, drive etc. it is loaded with say 80 kg in the boot.

If you set the car up in individual and switch engine charge and not charge at times you can get a decent mpg return over a journey. I do charge it daily if not more.

Quite frankly, I bet far more wish they have got a T8 than anything else.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image-1.jpg (89.2 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Image-1 2.jpg (87.4 KB, 30 views)
MaDProFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2018, 20:24   #23
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldex View Post
Don't know how you people drive but my average (almost constantly..) is 8-8.5 l/100km (34-35mpg?). And that's with very little urban driving (maybe 20%) and mostly highway (130-150km/h - 80-95mph). It is IMPOSSIBLE to get it under 8l/100km (ie. more than 35mpg..), but then strangely enough it stays under 9l/100km (above 31mpg) even in heavy urban cycle in Paris. It's an XC60 D5 PP with 17K+ kms on the clock btw.

So (with all due respect..) numbers like 56mpg (5l?!), which are lower than the ridiculously low factory numbers- borderline science fiction.

Yeah, if I had time on my hands to play and try my best - at 18C ambient temperature, flat road driving, with no traffic/no stopping, keeping it under 90km/h in Eco mode, and with no passengers/empty trunk - sure, the numbers would get better- but how often do you drive like this in the real world? And secondly- who drives a 400hp SUV like this? I've tested a T8 for a weekend - not on a track - but in real world conditions - the way I drive my D5 - and I averaged 10-11l/100km (21-23) - which is still great for a 400hp gasoline-powered SUV. Granted with very little charging- but I suspect charging wouldn't raise the mpg by 30+mpg..

Let's not kid ourselves - 2 tons of Swedish steel racked 1.8 meters high, with aerodynamics slightly better than HMS Titanic - averaging the same as a 3-cyl VW Lupo?.. C'mon..
With the greatest of respect you dont have a T8 so are not in the most informed position.

A few other points to note:-

1. Charge at home and your electric is not free so improved MPG is not delivered for nothing.
2. Dont trust the cars readout. I have 68k miles of data and the car over reads by about 2mpg.
3. I do a 92 mile motorway commute every day. I only charge at work. I do a few other bits and occassional long journeys. I only ever charge at work. I dont hypermile. I do maybe 35mpg avg in Summer. More like 32mpg in Winter.
4. Also having driven both I reckon the T8 is actually flatter in the corners. The low batteries help to make the car more planted. It can take the bend at the end of the M181 to the Westbound M180 faster than my old A6 s line.....
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2018, 21:01   #24
MaDProFF
Master Member

I think that is why it reads 150 MPG when used on electric, cost is minimal electric, when off peak is used.

I might add I am not renowned for driving slow, but I drive economically. oh and I live out in the sticks (not in a City) well sticks as in South East England
MaDProFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2018, 21:41   #25
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDProFF View Post
I think that is why it reads 150 MPG when used on electric, cost is minimal electric, when off peak is used.

I might add I am not renowned for driving slow, but I drive economically. oh and I live out in the sticks (not in a City) well sticks as in South East England
I reckon cost of electric is basically 20% of cost of petrol.....
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2018, 21:55   #26
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deman77 View Post
Not sure where that figurefor T8 comes from. This looks more like a track day type mpg for that car.
T8 people have been reporting low 30s on long runs without charging for t8 like Europe trips etc. Don’t forget that soft hybrids lend themselves to hypermiling techniques much more than diesels. So if you really wanted to you can get more out of it.
I've been following Kris Rifa from Norway on Youtube and his consumption with his T8. Driving 'normally' on nice roads he manages around 32mpg on his T8, while I get between 42 and 44mpg on similar journeys.

Driven fast from mid-Wales to Edinburgh and back, averaging 80mph for hundreds of miles but having to be diverted to Manchester and back due to the M6 being closed on a stormy night last Autumn, I still averaged within a tenth of a mpg of 40.
Driving at that sort of pace, Kris gets around 12l/100kms which is under 24mpg. That's over 15mpg worse than I get on a similar fast long mixed motorway and rural A road trip.
On any journey of at least 30 miles in traffic, I seldom get less than 38mpg on stupidly awkward/bendy/undulating West Wales roads.

That's the true difference, whether people like it or not.

Out of interest and for comparison, my wife took my CR-V automatic to Cardiff and back the other day and averaged 49.9 mpg over just over 200 miles in four hours ten minutes total driving time, three on board. The XC90 does the same journey with me at the helm, usually in four hours exactly, at just over 40mpg

Last edited by Quacker; Sep 5th, 2018 at 22:27.
Quacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Quacker For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 5th, 2018, 22:27   #27
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
I've been following Kris Rifa from Norway on Youtube and his consumption with his T8. Driving 'normally' on nice roads he manages around 32mpg on his T8, while I get between 42 and 44mpg on similar journeys.

Driven fast from mid-Wales to Edinburgh and back, averaging 80mph for hundreds of miles but having to be diverted to Manchester and back due to the M6 being closed on a stormy night last Autumn, I still averaged within a tenth of a mpg of 40.
Driving at that sort of pace, Kris gets around 12l/100kms which is under 24mpg. That's over 15mpg worse than I get on a similar fast long mixed motorway and rural A road trip.
On any journey of at least 30 miles in traffic, I seldom get less than 38mpg on stupidly awkward/bendy/undulating West Wales roads.

That's the true difference, whether people like it or not.
Let’s not also forget that the t8 engine is as complex as any diesel option and after 8 years you are up the creek regarding battery pack replacement which will be shot by then and cost a fortune.

I have to say if I were spending that money however it would be t8 all the way as you will never have a 400bhp car that size which is that efficient.

Be interesting to see what the residuals are once the battery packs give up and cost a fortune...
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 5th, 2018, 22:32   #28
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
Let’s not also forget that the t8 engine is as complex as any diesel option and after 8 years you are up the creek regarding battery pack replacement which will be shot by then and cost a fortune.

I have to say if I were spending that money however it would be t8 all the way as you will never have a 400bhp car that size which is that efficient.

Be interesting to see what the residuals are once the battery packs give up and cost a fortune...
Yes it sounds nice, but what exactly would you do with the 400hp? The D5 gets to 60 in under 7 seconds and is certainly powerful enough for me. Indeed I'm quite happy at license-losing speeds in my [daughter's] 1.5 litre diesel Qashqai which is seldom found lacking in performance. It returns just under 60mpg on the 200 mile Cardiff round trip, which is indeed what was showing on the trip computer for the last 800 miles, mainly being my daughter's 40 mile round commute to work on the A487 and through Aberystwyth town
Old Sep 5th, 2018, 22:38   #29
Rojah

My travels today in my T8 battery on zero charge ie empty

Sorry but quicker to write than faff about copying from on device to another.

Start BL1
End DN14 8JS

Duration 1.17 h
Distance 76.4 mi
Fuel Consumption 1.6 gal (45.3 mpg)
Electric Consumption 1.9 kWh
Electric Regeneration 2.3 kWh
Started 05/09/18 11.43
Ended 05/09/18 13.00
Odometer 84,500

Start YO25 6XN
End PR4 6SN

Duration 2.42h
Distance 131.1 mi
Fuel Consumption 3.0 gal (43.2 mpg)
Electric consumption 7.3 kWh
Electric regeneration 7.6kWh
Started 05/09/18 16.31
Ended 05/09/18 19.14
Odometer 84,664

Real world driving. Try getting that out of your petrol Polo!

Happy days

Rojah
1975 Suzuki GT500A & TS125J x2
1962 BSA Rocket Gold Star
Rojah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2018, 22:44   #30
Haldex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDProFF View Post
I do not understand how some people cannot accept some facts, I can understand there is a lot of crap said on the internet, but I am sure some of you can actually decipher what is fairly reliable, and what is crap.
Your numbers, for example, seem reasonable- a 100km (61.2 mi) trip, averaging 6.5l/100 km (43mpg) + 11kWh of electricity.. it goes along the basic laws of pysics.. 60mpg is bollocks- and being and engineer- I can decipher that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDProFF
Quite frankly, I bet far more wish they have got a T8 than anything else.
Bahahah.. Now that’s a typical hybrid (and EV..) owners’ snobbism.. Let’s not turn itinto a stupid argument- that’s what swedespeed is for

For starters- unlike most T8 owners- I actually own my car Buying a car is not like buying a drink in a bar.. at least not for me.. you don’t just ask for whatever comes first to your mind.. There’s a thought process involved. I configured my car from scratch (and have never bought off-the-lot vehicle in my life..), so before I signed my name on the p/o I knew exactly what I wanted. The decision was based on extensive research (tests, comparisons, forums, etc) and back-to-back test drives (I actually tested T6, T8, and D5 in both XC60 and XC90, before I made my mind..). I narrowed it down to T8 and D5- for their power/performance- but in the end I opted for the diesel- for several reasons mentioned above (I require proper AWD, I ride my bike in the city most of the time- so my volvo mostly serves for long-distance, extra urban driving..), but also out of fear of the overly complex hybrid drivetrain, overclocked (turbo+s/c) petrol 4-pot, and volvo’s lack of experience with this new technology. I’ll allow it a few years- most of the bugs with PHEVs will be gone by then, and with the anti-diesel hysteria- my next car just might be a hybrid But for now- you can keep your T8
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
colleague car, hybrid, pch, xc90