Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

PCV System with aftermarket Webers Help please.

Views : 1189

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 11th, 2019, 10:37   #11
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The 123 tune uses the vacuum signal direct from the manifold as fitted so that would be right. It is not an advance mechanism but a MAP sensor for ignition mapping
classicswede is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2019, 10:52   #12
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
The 123 tune uses the vacuum signal direct from the manifold as fitted so that would be right. It is not an advance mechanism but a MAP sensor for ignition mapping
well that stand to reason but a new question arises .. Why fit a programmed ignition system ?? Unless there have been other changes in the engine such as performance camshaft . :-)

I would keep those webers if this is the case ...
Old Sep 11th, 2019, 12:11   #13
Bugjam1999
Master Member

Quote:
Ah- of course that makes sense, it needs to read something...
Bugjam1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2019, 22:07   #14
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
well that stand to reason but a new question arises .. Why fit a programmed ignition system ?? Unless there have been other changes in the engine such as performance camshaft . :-)

I would keep those webers if this is the case ...
1) the factory dizzy can not use the vacuum advance/retard so the curve is now wrong
2) even if you had one without a vac connection the curve is now wrong for the change in air flow
3) modern fuel does not burn the same
4) logic would say with fitting webers you would also have gone for a cam with more lift/duration and a increase in CR further changing the burn
Old Sep 11th, 2019, 22:26   #15
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
1) the factory dizzy can not use the vacuum advance/retard so the curve is now wrong
2) even if you had one without a vac connection the curve is now wrong for the change in air flow
3) modern fuel does not burn the same
4) logic would say with fitting webers you would also have gone for a cam with more lift/duration and a increase in CR further changing the burn
cross purposes here , it is said it has a 123 distributor which must have been programmed to the present engine specification .. so no problem after all with using the Webers .
In my case of driving "old" cars for the last 47 years both standard and high compression tuned doing over 600,000 miles , i have found that when the unleaded was introduced in the 1980's it indeed was affecting things , hence the Renix mod on some of the 340's , However , today's unleaded is a fine fuel ...
Old Sep 12th, 2019, 00:54   #16
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I am not sure if its better or we just got more used to it
Old Sep 14th, 2019, 14:16   #17
spease1984

I am not sure what modifications have been done to the cylinder head bit it's not the original that's for sure it's date stamped 84 and the previous owner told me it had been ported and polished.

Regardless this is to be a daily driver and with the twin webers I would be lucky to see 20mpg, they would go out of sync more often then I would have the interest to balance them and I couldn't work out how to get the choke cable to pull on both carbs.

So they are off the car now and a single weber which arrived yesterday is going on.

I've set the advance cure to same Bosch number as the old distributor and I'll see how I get on. Assuming the 123 distributor can be connected to the vac port on the Weber and it doesn't need to come from the manifold?

As for modern petrol it's horrible stuff. Stinks gives me a headache and rots rubber. Wasn't like that 10 or so years ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190913_192914.jpg (123.3 KB, 7 views)
spease1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2019, 16:30   #18
Bugjam1999
Master Member

A brand new single carb sounds like a good option for what you’re going to use the car for- are you going to have the car set up on a dyno? I’m curious what power it’ll make.

Cheers
Bugjam1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2019, 16:57   #19
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
I am not sure if its better or we just got more used to it
well i always use it on my 11:1 compression ratio engines which used to like 5 star and no valve problems and good power , only problem it can "go off" if left a year or so , the active spirit must evaporate off more easily .
Old Sep 19th, 2019, 01:41   #20
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The 123 Tune should have the vac signal connected to the manifold rather than the carb.

Modern petrol has a life of about 3 months before it starts to go off