Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Indicating

Views : 1280

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 15th, 2019, 10:15   #1
Scotia64

Default Indicating

My XC90 hasn’t arrived yet (hopefully be here this week) but I was wondering what indication you have when you’re towing a caravan that the indicators on the van are working?
My current has a trailer symbol on the dash that flashes but all previous cars had a buzzer.
Scotia64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2019, 10:26   #2
RoscoMac
Scottish Section Chair

Will be interested to see the replies to this. I have recently acquired a used xc70 which didn't seem to have any alert to suggest caravan indicators are working. My previous v70 with volvo towbar had the additional green flashing light in dash binacle however this newer xc doesn't appear to have... or it's not working.

Thanks
RoscoMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2019, 16:50   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

The car will tell you when they are NOT working , so it works the other way around ... just like the monitoring of the other bulbs really :-)
Old Sep 15th, 2019, 19:59   #4
Barneywood

Having towed my caravan from the east coast of England to the west coast of Wales today, i concur with Clan, there is no tell tale to show they are working but when it does its lamp check before setting off I presume it will tell if there are any faults.
Barneywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2019, 07:44   #5
petey
Master Member

My 2005 V70 has a non-Volvo tow kit fitted and that does NOT use the towing connection on the REM but instead patches into the turn signal nearby. As a result, the towing lamp on the instrument panel does not illuminate but there is a buzzer which echoes the indicators.

Note also that the operation of the rear fog lamp operation changes from two stage (on - off) to a four stage (car and van on - car and van off - van only on - car and van off). This is to stop the car’s fog light uselessly shining on the front of the caravan and glaring in the rear view mirror. There is a periodic audible warning that beeps every minute or so when you think you’ve turned off the rear fog light but actually the caravan only is illuminated. If that makes any sense.
petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2019, 16:27   #6
Peter86
Pete

After market wiring systems have a audible beep, my V70 has a Volvo wiring system and does a bulb check, it just warns when a bulb is out otherwise nothing. Only downfall is you don't know if you have left the caravan/trailer unplugged by accident so double check before driving off unless you can see your marker lights on then you know its plugged in.
Volvo dedicated electrics also adapt abs etc for stability when towing, basic aftermarket electrics don't offer this.

2011 V70 D5 [215] Rdesign - currently owned.

Peter86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2019, 16:48   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter86 View Post
After market wiring systems have a audible beep, my V70 has a Volvo wiring system and does a bulb check, it just warns when a bulb is out otherwise nothing. Only downfall is you don't know if you have left the caravan/trailer unplugged by accident so double check before driving off unless you can see your marker lights on then you know its plugged in.
Volvo dedicated electrics also adapt abs etc for stability when towing, basic aftermarket electrics don't offer this.
they also look after the rear fog light and reversing sensors and no doubt a few more things we do not realise
Old Sep 16th, 2019, 21:49   #8
Scotia64

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info guys
Scotia64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2019, 22:23   #9
Billggski

My Volvo system lets me know if any lights aren't working, isolates the reversing and fog lights when a trailer is connected, and also activates the anti-sway system.
It's a 13 pin socket.
Billggski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2019, 13:13   #10
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

It's all been said - if it's a genuine Volvo system then the trailer (when connected) is added to the normal bulb failure warning system. The trailer assist function of the cars stability control system is also activated (if relevant) - something that does not happen on aftermarket kits.

However... I had an issue on the MY17 XC60 with phantom alerts when using a trailer fitted with LED lights - this was fixed by using the genuine Volvo 13 pin to 7 pin adapter that came with the car (rather than the Hella one I had...)

No idea what could explain that but it restored working order...
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote