Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

T5 economy?

Views : 1166

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 22:53   #1
bgeake

Default T5 economy?

I've been offered a 54 V50 T5, 1 owner, FSH, 84k miles for £5,500. Dealer is husband of a workmate of my wife's so should be kosher. Seems a good deal, but is it right for me?

Major point is this: is the T5 a full on fast car or can it pootle? I am looking to replace a tatty Mondeo 1.8 and do not need the power. Would prefer something softer, but the attraction of a good quality car in good condition is strong, and the T5 seems not to hold its value as well as the diesels. I'm a low insurance risk / good NCD, which helps.

Can the T5 be driven gently and smoothly and get over 30 mpg? I have seen accounts of people getting 19-25 which is not good enough for me. Opinions?

Thanks all,

Bill.
bgeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 23:09   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

you dont buy a T5 if you dont need the power, you'd be better off with an 1800 petrol or one of the diesels .. Yes the T5 can be driven as gently and smoothly as any other car in the range but its not going to be efficient around town and yes you could get 30 mpg on runs .. If you buy the T5 its going to be the wrong car you dont want a car capable of 0-60 in 7 seconds and 150 mph .. insurance , tax , tyres , running costs are going to be very high , and its very easy easy to do 20 mpg in it .. its the wrong car for you .. There are lots more around similar even if you have to pay £500 - £ 1000 more You could get a very nice V70 D5 for that kind of money around 2004 which would go VERY well and do over 40 mpg every day every where ..
Old Jul 4th, 2010, 00:32   #3
t5_monkey
Monkeying Around

I've got an S40 T5.

never went below 30mpg when standard, got 34 on a run.

Nowadays, drops to about 28 around and about, and 34 on a run.

If you drive it gently, you'll get fairly good economy.

can be a bit heavier on tyres etc... and insurance, but not so bad really - mines done 24000 miles over 3 years and no major problems (touch wood) just tyres n petrol.

They're better on long runs, if you do short runs the economy will suffer significantly.

A Stock V50 T5 will be smooth, quiet, very refined, quick - not a full on sports car, a swift saloon - sounds ideal for you

you'll need some upgrades to really bring it to life tho (strut brace, IPD rollbar, remap)
t5_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2010, 13:03   #4
iainmd

The T5's a beutiful car to drive. Smooth, refined and quick when you need it but I average 28mpg with a combination of in-town driving and A roads. It doesn't do much motorway cruising these days but when it did it average a couple of mpg higher.

Iain

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2010, 23:23   #5
bgeake

Thanks to all for this - it kind of confirms what I had thought. My (lowish) mileage does have quite a lot of short trips, a few 50 milers and a couple of 300+ milers a year. So I think even being careful, 30 mpg will be a good result.

This would give me a fuel bill of about £1000 a year, and I can probably save 25-30% of that with a small petrol or a diesel, and 95% of the time I will not be bothered about the power difference. So a lesser model will make more sense, depending on the price (it seems that thirsty petrol cars are unpopular and hence cheap so there might still be some logic).

Thanks again - what a nice forum this is!

Bill.
bgeake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg, v50 t5