Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Buying a 240 Estate - What should we know?!!

Views : 1258

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 30th, 2003, 00:05   #1
Joe440Andrew460

Default Buying a 240 Estate - What should we know?!!

HI All!

We are thinking of buying a 240 Estate (as if our 440, 460, 480 and S40 weren't enough trouble!!).
It's to be used as a load lugger, general workhorse and, when we get to use it - (will be shared with brother in Southampton so needs to be good for long distance too!) - it'll also be asked to tow a 1000kg Caravan!!

Now we're not asking much from one of these cars (are we?) BUT, what we'd like to know is...........

WHAT SHOULD WE KNOW BEFORE BUYING ONE!!!????

What are the major (and not so major) downsides and what kind of things should we be checking - rust and its most likely locations, problems etc etc etc?

What engines last best (and gearboxes too!)?

and

What kind of prices should we be looking at for a good example?

Plus anything else you feel would be useful we'll take on board.

Thanks in advance for all your help on this

Joe & Andrew
;)

Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 07:05   #2
Beardy Rich

Default RE: Buying a 240 Estate - What should we know?!!

A lot will depend on how well the car has been kept. Has it been regularly serviced for instance?
I've owned two 240's over the past 17 years and problems I have encountered include rusting of the front suspension strut spring pans. Fuse box corrosion. Leaking windscreens. Water pump leaks.
Rear suspension bush wear, especially on the 245's.

Engines are basically sound, of good design and will last a very long time but I would recommend regular oil and filter changes.

For towing I would suggest a manual gearbox rather than an auto.

If you look around on this site I seem to remember reading an article about the 240 series somewhere which will cover most of your queries on this model.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 17:44   #3
Joe440Andrew460

Default RE: Buying a 240 Estate - What should we know?!!

Thanks for the advice - the brother in Southampton managed to pick up a "really nice one" (a 240), his way and so we're off to see it this weekend - we're just glad we've got another member of the family switching from a Saab to a Volvo! Only one to go now!

This message could be informative so just cos we've found a car doesn't mean someone else isn't looking and could do with the info, its what a forum's for!!

Thanks