Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C70 Insurance??

Views : 1644

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 6th, 2015, 23:37   #1
02Anders

Default C70 Insurance??

So as a newbie, I've got my introduction out of the way in The Lounge...
Now I can start all the questions!

First of all, as I'm in the process of moving to the UK and haven't lived there since 2004, I'm wondering what to do about insurance for the '99 C70 T5 GT that I've just bought??
Being 39 years old with a clean license and a ton of NCB, how much should I expect to pay per year? Oh yeah, post code is in Glossop, Derbyshire just west of Peak District.
Any insurance companies that I should stay clear of? Any real world experience would be much appreciated...
02Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2015, 09:43   #2
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Is this your main car or is it a second + car? How many miles do you expect to do in a year?

If it's a second + car and you expect to do less than 5,000 miles a year you can insure it as a classic with Peter Best (very good company) at nearly a half of what you will pay for "normal" insurance.

If that doesn't work then the normal search in the insurance search engines will be the way to go IMHO.
Old Nov 7th, 2015, 17:05   #3
brickman
Premier Member

Unfortunately your at the mercy of the insurance gods, the prices they offer for the same cover literally change by the hour. Got mine on a V70 TDI 9yr NCB for around £220 per annum, although when checking prices the same company on the same details was around £740 just a few hours later, mental.

Watch with NCB as they rarely are accepted if you haven't had a vehicle insured in country for 2 years. My friends fell fowl of this, returning from working overseas to discover they were back to 0 NCB and ended up paying a LOT for their first year back in the UK even though they had NCB from another commonwealth country.
Old Nov 7th, 2015, 17:24   #4
DouglasWicker

You guys have got it easy!
Just turned 19 when I bought my Standard 2.4 v70, it cost me nearly £1300 to insure! Still its better than the £1500 I had to spend for my first year in a 900cc fiat siecento... I don't think I could have inflicted £1500 worth of damages driving that even if I really really tried haha

1999 V70 2.4l Auto
DouglasWicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2015, 20:00   #5
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Fully comp, + agreed value cost me just £150 with PB this year, but then I'm 56 - the benefits of getting older!
Old Nov 7th, 2015, 20:08   #6
LXA 36G

Mine was a bit over £200 for the 2.0 version it's my main car but I do most of my driving in a company van.
LXA 36G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2015, 21:35   #7
ijmorrison

If it's any help I insured a 1999 S70 T5 earlier this year for £680 for the year .. it was a new policy (my NCB is on my daily driver - approx 15 years or so ) so it is a good guide line .. it was with a rapidly crashing supermarket that does a clubcard

I am 38 , no points but on a 3 year medically restricted license.

I am also in an insurance "hot spot" so i pretty much qualify for a free jar of Vaseline whoever I renew with

Iain
ijmorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2015, 16:38   #8
brickman
Premier Member

One thing to watch out for is the comparison sites, by firing all your details in there you'll prob get the best deal the first time you do it, every time you revisit the website or go to competitors and come back, the price seems to change (not always up!).
SO if you spot a good one, write down the reference number as the insurer will 'loose' the quote unless you have evidence of its existence.

Also make sure everything on the quote is bang on first time, slight slip of profession can cost you massively even though both options fall into the exact same risk bracket.

Last thing, if you can put your start date back a few weeks, having it on today for start date seems to get the vultures circling, maybe they think you are desperate so give poorer quote?
Old Nov 8th, 2015, 20:01   #9
krussel
Premier Member

Depends on age , postcode and milage.

I am 48 yrs C70 2.4 GT T 6yrs NCD, 4000 miles = £223
krussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2015, 21:28   #10
02Anders

Thx guys for all your input! Much appreciated...

As stated I am 39 years old.
My C70 will be my main car though. Probably expecting to cover around 10k a year - maybe marginally more.
And yes, while I have a ton of NCB, it is all from abroad. So thx for the heads-up on that one brickman.
I've tried punching in my details on gocompare. Do you guys recon it'll make much difference on the quote whether I give them my drivers license number?? Right now I couldn't, as my drivers license isn't a UK drivers license yet. I'll obviously get that sorted with the DVLA once I'm in the country, but as of yet I'm unable to provide that info. Big deal or no difference??
02Anders is offline   Reply With Quote