Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General > 850/x70 S1 Wants
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

850 cambelt refit

Views : 1530

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 10:27   #1
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Default 850 cambelt refit

Chaps
I am on the hunt for urgent help yet again !
For those of you who have been laughing at my woes I managed to get the new belt through and on to the bottom pulley in 2 mins.

Trouble now is despite routing the belt correctly it is too short to fit onto both exhaust cams and I am lost for an answer ! I made a drawing pre removal and confirmed with Robert DIY

The obvious answer is that the belt is not quite sitting on the bottom sprocket but it appears to be once I get my hands past the aux pulley.

I am 99% sure I checked the length of both belts but confirm the markings are the same. The pin remains in place on the haudraulic tensioner.

HELP PLEASE !!!!!!!!
Bigfella666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 11:26   #2
stevebikescars

dont know if this is of help, i had a simular problem the timing belt 20valve and 10valve have a different amount of teeth also the idler is smaller on 10valve. i did order correct kit but it was for 10v not 20v as invoice showed, best of luck steve
stevebikescars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 14:15   #3
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Steve
No use whatsoever I am afraid !

Took the belt off again - as I thought it is identical in length to the old belt. Now ****ing down so I think the bigfella is gonna give up for the day and give up full stop. I have every confidence that I am not getting the belt over the pinion which Volvo have cleverly placed between the oil pump and aux pulley so you cannot see or feel it - if you have hands as big as me.

I do not give up easily but if any forum member or Volvo mechanic who has done the cambelt on an 850 is in the Barrow area of Suffolk is able to help please call 01284 811284 !! I think I have now had my fill.

On the bright side has given me the opportunity to flush the coolant through and actually find the engine block drain plug - so Pnut if you wanna learn where it is you of course know where I am !
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 17:22   #4
PNuT
MaDMaN

Weather doesn't look favorable tomorrow! Early looks better though!
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 17:59   #5
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Talking

P
It is not the weather I am worried about if is my sanity !

If there is a dry Half hour tomorrow I shall have a last ditch Go before enlisting the help of somebody who knows the trick
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 18:09   #6
PNuT
MaDMaN

I will be over in the morning
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 18:50   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfella666 View Post
Chaps
I am on the hunt for urgent help yet again !
For those of you who have been laughing at my woes I managed to get the new belt through and on to the bottom pulley in 2 mins.

Trouble now is despite routing the belt correctly it is too short to fit onto both exhaust cams and I am lost for an answer ! I made a drawing pre removal and confirmed with Robert DIY

The obvious answer is that the belt is not quite sitting on the bottom sprocket but it appears to be once I get my hands past the aux pulley.

I am 99% sure I checked the length of both belts but confirm the markings are the same. The pin remains in place on the haudraulic tensioner.

HELP PLEASE !!!!!!!!
have you got the belt above the projection at the bottom of the crank pulley toothed wheel ? also i assume you have compressed the tensioner and pegged it in with a 2mm pin ? A steel pop rivet stem is a good thing for this .
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 19:29   #8
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Clan
Thanx for your reply. In short I do not think the belt is tight on the cam gear so no I cannot get it past the projection which I think is at the bottom of the crank.

Haudraulic tensioner still has 2 MM drill bit in it, are you able to stop me from going insane - subject to getting the da,n belt on I am 30 mins away from completing the task after non stop aggravation mostly caused by a lack of concentration following muchas ales and late nights !!

I have reached the conclusion that this is one of those tasks for which you have the knack or you don't - and I know which box I fall in !
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 19:31   #9
Bigfella666
Premier Member

PNut
If you can make it look forward to seeing you, but if the weather is bad there is always next week !
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 21:06   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfella666 View Post
Clan
Thanx for your reply. In short I do not think the belt is tight on the cam gear so no I cannot get it past the projection which I think is at the bottom of the crank.

Haudraulic tensioner still has 2 MM drill bit in it, are you able to stop me from going insane - subject to getting the da,n belt on I am 30 mins away from completing the task after non stop aggravation mostly caused by a lack of concentration following muchas ales and late nights !!

I have reached the conclusion that this is one of those tasks for which you have the knack or you don't - and I know which box I fall in !
Ok so you know about the projection and the belt isnt caught around the outside of that and shortening the belt ? Yes this projection is on the 6 0 clock position .

You need to pull the belt up on the right hand side tight over the inlet pulley , then hold it whilst to pull up the right side , it will be just too tight to get over the exhaust pulley so you pull up on the left side and it should just fit over the exhaust pulley , you may need a third hand !