Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What did you do to your 850/X70 today???

Views : 145192

Replies : 922

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 3rd, 2020, 10:01   #441
happy diver
Active Member Moment

I just can't get enough silver

20,000 leagues under the sea diving to adventure
in a silent world with my ceiling the waves...Emile
happy diver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to happy diver For This Useful Post:
Old May 3rd, 2020, 11:05   #442
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

I was told off by a Magistrate for not having number plate lights, well actually it was my mate D at work who also serves as a magistrate when he followed me into the car park . I took a look and both bulb holders had a lot of corrosion on the contacts, now without totally disassembling the tailgate wiper and lock mechanisms it's impossible to replace them so I used some brute force to break them out and will replace them with LED units coming from ebay. Having spent some time messing about soldering extensions onto the wiring I realised while watching telly later it would have been miles easier to just replace the whole wire from the connector inside the tailgate , oh well that can wait til the LEDs get here. (replacement trim fixing clips also on order)

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2020, 12:12   #443
sda2489

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4 View Post
Happiness is the service reminder indicator lamp extinguishing on start-up

I just took the bulb out when I was fixing the odometer gears....

It is very nice not having it on.... Not an ideal method obviously but I change the oil every year and only do at 1000 miles so don't really need it.
sda2489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2020, 12:14   #444
sda2489

Fixed the driver's heated seat.

It had burnt out the heater wire yet again.

Not that big a job when you've done it previously.....
sda2489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2020, 14:42   #445
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sda2489 View Post
I just took the bulb out when I was fixing the odometer gears....

It is very nice not having it on.... Not an ideal method obviously but I change the oil every year and only do at 1000 miles so don't really need it.

Have a look at this "sticky"
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=28858

Worked for me, but if its pre OBDII try this sequence
1. Press and hold odometer reset button.
2. Turn ignition switch to Position II.
3. Service Light flashes and then when it has stopped flashing , release odometer reset button.
4. Confirm reset by turning your ignition to pos 0 off, then on back to posn II.

I think this variation was posted on the ipidusa website
https://www.ipdusa.com/blogs/103/how...98-2009-volvos some years ago
Reset Service Reminder Indicator on 1998-2009 Volvos
2001 Volvo S80 / V70 / S60 Models (May apply to S40/V40 also)
• The service reminder indicator lamp illuminates for 120 seconds when the ignition is first switched on.
• Insert key and turn Ignition Switch to position I
• Press and hold in the reset button for the trip odometer
• Turn the Ignition switch to position II (within 5 seconds)
• The service reminder indicator starts flashing when the reset button for the trip odometer has been pressed for 10 seconds
• Release the reset button for the trip odometer within 5 seconds. The instrument gives an audible signal when resetting has succeeded.
• If the trip meter reset button is not released within 5 seconds the indicator is not reset, but the indicator will stop flashing.

2002-2007 All Volvo Models

• The service reminder indicator lamp illuminates for 120 seconds when the ignition is first switched on
• Insert key and turn Ignition Switch to position I
• Press and hold in the reset button for the trip odometer
• Turn the Ignition switch to position II (within 2 seconds)
• Hold the reset button for the trip meter pressed in until the original trip counter value blinks and is redisplayed
(For all vehicles 2003- a general yellow lamp will light when the reset button must be released.)
• Release the reset button for the trip odometer within 4 seconds. The instrument gives an audible signal when resetting has succeeded
• If the trip meter is already reset the reset button should be held in for a minimum of 10 seconds and a maximum of 14 seconds.
• If the reset button for the trip odometer is not released within 4 seconds, the service reminder indicator (SRI) is not reset.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2020, 15:34   #446
4x4
I roll

1996-1997 are the awkward years to reset service lights. They need to be done through the OBDII port under the coin holder and need some form of software to reset them. Draper 69007 was the one most owners used back in the day but they are difficult to find now. The 850 OBD-II app from Google Play costs £1.69 and if you can get a compatible bluetooth dongle then it's easy enough to reset the service light, check the mileage and I'm lead to believe it will reset ABS and SRS lights
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4x4 For This Useful Post:
Old May 3rd, 2020, 16:36   #447
ASt85
Premier Member

Wink

Quote:
1996-1997 are the awkward years to reset service lights. They need to be done through the OBDII port under the coin holder and need some form of software to reset them. Draper 69007 was the one most owners used back in the day but they are difficult to find now. The 850 OBD-II app from Google Play costs £1.69 and if you can get a compatible bluetooth dongle then it's easy enough to reset the service light, check the mileage and I'm lead to believe it will reset ABS and SRS lights
Try the alternative key reset methods - they do work, you just have to find the correct sequence for you model - I'm sure you are right about the ABS light reset.

The SRS warning can't usually be reset using an ELM327 variant or the Torque Pro type software because of Volvo's make Specific CanBus System Codes which don't form part of the normal OBDII database.
However, there are variant "counterfeit" copies or various Autel Maxiscans that will do it.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2020, 17:50   #448
Wackopaco

Drove through bridge of Weir and Kilbarchan in my black c70 cabrio to see a red c70 in front.

Hello fellow Renfrewshire resident if you're on here 👋
Wackopaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2020, 20:30   #449
Clogs
Clogs

Default Summer wheels back on - 1999 V70 T5

Today I took my steel winter wheels off with their winter tyres and replaced them with alloy wheels and normal tyres. A bit late as this isn't usually a May but an early April job. The winter tyres (Vredestein Wintrac XtremeS) are now over 4 years old and probably will only have another winter left in them after about 18,000 miles. We've had hardly any snow and few icy days this winter and we didn't go to Austria this year with the car, where there was snow and the hire car had winter tyres. Hired a Mercedes C Class in Austria - hard uncomfortable seats, not much room in the back... and for a new car it compared poorly with a 21 year old Volvo.

The summer Hankook Ventus Prime2 tyres are almost 5 years old and have some more wear in them. They'll last another three years with 15,000 so far, and probably are good for another 10-12,000..

Next lot of tyres may well be all season ones, which a neighbour has. I'll see how they wear. Honest John is plugging them... which for safety in winter is OK, but some tyres only last under 10,000 miles (e.g. Dunlop Sport Maxx which I had previously... good grip and quiet, but not hard wearing) and I do not have a leaden right foot.
Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2020, 10:31   #450
turboboy
Master Member

Default Service Light Reset

Quote:
My V70 is a 1998 and needs a tool to reset the service light. Previously tried all the usual suggestions of pressing various buttons etc. in many combinations and also have professional level diagnostic software on a laptop which works on every other make and model (including trucks), but not my V70.

Eventually managed to get a used Sealey VS333 reset tool with the correct application card and leads for a reasonable price through ebay. Have occasionally seen new old stock ones for sale but at prices of up to twice what they originally retailed for!

Current: 1998 Volvo V70 2.3 T5 Auto.

Previous: 2000 Volvo V40 T4; 1981/2 265 (x2); 1988 740 Turbo Estate.
turboboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to turboboy For This Useful Post: