Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Buying 1986 240 GL wagon

Views : 1257

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 31st, 2003, 16:15   #1
nixcatt

I'm planning on buying a 1986 240 GL station wagon from a friend. I'm going to have a mechanic check it out before I buy it. From what I've read so far on-line, I know to ask him to look at the wiring harness. Are there other issues I should be particularly concerned about in this era Volvo?

Thanks for your help!
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 14:26   #2
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Default RE: Buying 1986 240 GL wagon

There are 3 important things to check - rust, rust, and rust. All mechanical defects can be rectified fairly easily and cheaply if you are reasonably handy and have access to breakers or spare cars.
From experience of maintaining or breaking 6 cars I'd check:
Under the rear wheel arch at the top of the shock absorber. Also view inside by tilting the rear seat
At the back of the cills near the jacking point
Under the turned edge of the rear wing/wheel arch
Front of rear wheel arch low down by door pillar
Tailgate - lower lip, and inside around rubber seals
Body section across rear of car partly hidden by bumper and trim

Look for evidence of unchecked windscreen and other leaks, letting water drip onto fuse box. It can also run down inside the door posts causing rotting inside and on the floor of the car.
I hope this is of some help.

Good luck
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 18:26   #3
andykem

Default RE: Buying 1986 240 GL wagon

Hi,
I agree with all that Clifford has said, except I'd add a 4th thing: RUST! Make sure you or your mechanic take a really good look under the carpets in the region under the front seat especially. My kast two 200's have both had quite severe rust where the sills join the floor pan and the floorpan is welded to the 'box' section that the front seats sit on.

Good luck,
Andy
andykem is offline   Reply With Quote