Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil level check

Views : 8673

Replies : 46

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 29th, 2019, 19:08   #41
RS3100

Hi Piotrek. I'll have a look tomorrow if I get time. I won't be able to take readings with VIDA as my car is too new for it to connect, but I get identical readings from Torque and my Launch kit, and by measuring the amount of oil drained from the engine and replaced incrementally, I am happy that the readings are consistent with the VIDA stated figures for oil level vs volume.
RS3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RS3100 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 30th, 2019, 17:21   #42
RS3100

Ok, I've connected to the car with Torque, Car Scanner and Launch diagnostics, and this is what I got. Bear in mind that I was only able to read off the current values, as I'm not going to start draining and adding oil to take various readings!

Readings obtained, in the order Oil Level, Oil Temp and Coolant Temp:

Torque: 39.8 mm, 6.2C, 7C
Car Scanner: 39.84 mm, 6.32C, 7C
Launch: 39.83 mm, 6.43C, 7C

So all pretty much identical.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RS3100 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 30th, 2019, 18:48   #43
ELLA123

Good news as I have car scanner pro. Now have new dongle but still reading Ca 11mm. So something wrong somewhere. Need to wait to next week for VISD hook up
ELLA123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2020, 21:14   #44
ELLA123

Default oil level

have now visited Volvo who have check out sensor and volumes etc.. apparently all ok with no issues found.

VIDA apparently cannot display mm depth of oil despite that OBD units can ! can any one advise how VIDA can do this,

oil level at level 2 , 4.8 lt which is quoted as including 0.4 lt in filter, I added 4.75 lt excluding filter ? looks as if error in Volvo print out

left Volvo with garage reading MAX, after 20 miles back to reading MIN low level again.

I am only reading 15mm with 4.75lt, this did drop to 11.7mm with 4.45lt.

apparently this can go as low 4.2 lt for add 1/2lt warning and 3.9 for add 1 lt.

even then loss of pump suction would not occur until about 3.5 lt.

RS3100 - I am getting nowhere near your readings, mine is a D3 VGA ( 2016 ) any ideas ?

Dash 300 -tried PID with formula provided but did not work for car scanner pro, can any one provide actual settings to put in for PID in car scanner pro for oil level please.

I was hoping my readings would provide the ca 45mm mark as apparently sensor is working ok, but at 15mm looks as if I am a factor of 3 out ??

any help would be appreciated.

NOTE : apparently the plug where the dipstick used to be fitted in still in this engine, has anyone done any reverse engineering to fit a real dipstick ?
Old Jan 8th, 2020, 09:09   #45
RS3100

Although I use VIDA as an offline workshop manual, I can't connect it to my car as it is too new to be recognised by the 2014 version, which is the last available unless you can somehow obtain (and are willing to pay for) a Volvo subscription.

So whilst I can't say from personal experience that I have seen VIDA display oil level in millimetres, I would question why it instructs the technician to fill to specific oil levels using that measurement if it is incapable of doing so.

VIDA also states the following in its description of the parameters available in the ECM:

Engine oil level (mm) The value regards the current oil level. The signal comes from the directly connected engine oil level sensor which provides information about the oil level in the engine's oil pan. Measurement range: 0 – 65 mm.

Aftermarket diagnostic equipment is only taking values from functions provided by Volvo in their software and hardware. Why would Volvo include that ability and not allow VIDA to make use of it, particularly as they describe the function and its use within the software?

The oil volume obtained from VIDA is a calculated value, obtained from the oil level and current temperature readings and rebased via a software algorithm to the calculated volume at a temperature of 20C. Whether that makes it entirely accurate I couldn't say, but it is obviously calculated that way to provide a level of consistency across a range of actual oil temperatures without requiring the oil temperature in each vehicle to be raised or cooled to a particular level to obtain a reading.

None of this actually helps you though, and I have no idea why you are getting the readings that you have. I can only say what levels are quoted in VIDA and that I have found them to be consistent with the oil volumes and levels measured in my own (T2 VEA) engine.

But, you now have a known oil quantity and a known level reading which, ven if it does not match the level described in VIDA, will at least allow you to monitor the reading for any deviation and give you a level to aim for in future oil changes.

The PIDs I quoted are for entry into the Torque app. For CarScanner you should not need to add anything manually. From the settings menu, select "Custom Sensors" and "Choose Connection Profile", then add "Volvo 2014+ VEA Engine (not SPA)" which will add a predefined range of specific sensor readings to the app, including the oil level reading.

There is a short dipstick tube at the front of the engine, near the centre of the block, fitted with a rubber or plastic bung. It is quite difficult to see and access, and I think is described in the parts diagrams as an oil extraction tube, presumably intended for oil extraction using a suction pump instead of the sump plug.

I'm not aware of a physical dipstick being available for the VEA engines, but there is a "police dipstick kit" available from Volvo which is intended I think for the older 5 cylinder engines.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...olice+dipstick

There is a guy on a German forum who had this kit fitted to his V40 with a VEA engine, but he had the assistance of a friendly dealer technician who took time to modify the dipstick and tube to provide accurate readings for the VEA engine by calibrating its position against known oil levels using VIDA (another indication that the software allows the oil level to be read). How long this would take and what the end cost would be at chargeable hourly rates through a UK Volvo dealer I have no idea!

Regarding your DIM oil level reading, did the dealer calibrate your oil level before you left? If not, as you know what quantity of oil is in the engine and can monitor the level for any deviation, I would be tempted to wait a while and see if the DIM indication stabilises after more journeys. If he did, then the indication does seem to suggest an issue with the software determination of the oil level in the car.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RS3100 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 8th, 2020, 18:56   #46
ELLA123

RS3100. very many thanks for your reply - appreciated.

as far as Volvo tech are concerned from what I saw they have a level gauge which only displays level 1 to 3 and overfill not actual mm
they have two methods of checking

1. level 1,2, 3 overfill which is a simple step measurement - they usually fill to 2 or 3 from what I gathered.
2. volume check which includes apparently the filter volume. however for the physical drain downs I have done and measured the VIDA reading was the same as mine without 0.4 lt ?? some confusion here as also measured level 2 ie somewhere between 2 and 3 - assume 3 is max ( 5.2 lt) as next is overfill.
all very confusing.

Interesting comment about temperature compensation because I have concluded the mm readings are very temperature dependent, ie sensor is temperature effected ( Not the oil actual volume- coefficient of expansion would not effect to this amount) really need to drop to ca 25-30 deg before stabilisation.

Agree while I have lower readings I seem to be beginning to gain some rough consistent data for ca 8 - 10 deg C with both 4.45lt and 4.75 lt drain downs. its all I have to go on at present.

The further frustration is the level gauge is very erratic ? when I refilled from first drain it read max and then overnight when to MIN, second drain down same happened. at Volvo garage after check and recal showed MAX, drove 20 mile home and back to min !.
Think I will just have to ignore this I only hope that the level warnings are not derived from the gauge but from ECU separately on CanBus ?

With respect to Volvo recalibrate - well sought off ? they ran a routine of some sort which should I think resets the base line for max readings ?? unfortunately don't have more data on this.

Thanks for link to police dipstick - I am informed this can only be fitted to the 5 cylinder engine ?? - not sure if this is true or only a " to difficult - don't want to open that can of worms box"

I think its time to start calling Volvo to account on this whole electronic dipstick issue. Especially the read out or lack of on the level gauge which it seems it is not. I shall be compiling a "technical deviation design error report" on this one - any one wishing to add / contribute would be welcome. As I have noted before this would fail any design review I have chaired.
The Following User Says Thank You to ELLA123 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 16th, 2020, 18:07   #47
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

After 106k and 6 years I have had my first 'low oil message add 0.5ltrs.' In spare wheel well had a bottle of Volvo spec 0-20 Castrol Edge oil (masquerading as water) and added said 0.5ltr and light went out. Never had to add any between services before just missed my next service by 3 weeks! Still quite happy with that level of oil consumption on approx. 20k per year. The Landy has been in a constant state of oil change all its life.

Maybe the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about!
Dash300 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dash300 For This Useful Post: