Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 600912

Replies : 2692

Users Viewing This Thread : Lojzek

Old Jan 7th, 2020, 10:59   #2331
Bendolfc
Premier Member

If high Cetane is the most important aspect, better stick to Shell Fuelsave rather than V Power as the fuel save has a higher Cetane rating according to Shells datasheets.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2020, 12:30   #2332
mark2456

2 x recall items fixed last week (EGR cooler thermostat addition and the inlet manifold I think) and EGR cooler replaced, zero cost.

I've managed to stall it a couple of times so wander if the software changes have had some effect, hard to say for sure but it seems not too bad.
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 15:44   #2333
Styl3r

Hi all, first post so be gentle. Bought my 2015 xc60 D4 2.0 r design auto in July 2017 from a Volvo dealership, full Volvo service history with 59000 on clock( now has 70000). Also took out service agreement with them at time of purchase. Roll forward to July 2019 dreaded engine management light on and diagnosed EGR cooler problem. egr cooler and hoses replaced and software updated all FOC, even though now out of warrant, which was nice but no paperwork given. I did ask, but Volvo rep said i didn't need any, fair enough, but not sure if this is true. Anyway next day after repair(warn day) pushed aircon button, nothing happened, tried again nothing. Pressed the auto climate button on the fan control dial and aircon came on, thought great just a blip. turned climate off and tried aircon button again still not working. Turned on and off a few times, started and stopped engine a few times but to no avail. Couple days later aircon button now working so didn't think anymore of it. Noticed engine still seemed under powered at low revs and pulling away (turbo seemed reluctant to kick in). Monitored for a few days and noticed that MPG was still poor, before egr problem was getting 34mpg around town now only 28-30MPG. Then whilst driving all instrument panel just went blank car still driving fine, minute later instrument panel came back on, weird, but ok all good now. I tow with this car and usually have it in manual. now after EGR replacement when i pull away on a hill and change gear i can get up to 5 gear and it still sounds like 1st gear turbo and revs just stay high just constantly boosting the engine, again weird never did this before. Oh yeah other strange problems rear drivers side window opened about an inch on it's own a couple of times, giving voice commands to satnav is pointless as it never seems to get it right, now, i know i'm from the west country, but worked before. I live at the bottom of a long hill and before update car would go up 3rd gear now only changes to second gear wuth the same revs, even my wife noticed it and believe me that is saying something. Car also comes up to temp faster and all engine radiator fans seem to be running, never did before update. May all just be coincidental, but i do not like coincidences. It's in for a service Jan 27 and have reported all these observations to Volvo staright after repair and since other issues. They will be looking at them at service time( they pointed out at my expense) Then today this happened, MPG and average MPH are locked (ø) see images. I have checked other forum groups and have heard other users saying they have had strange things happen with this software update, after egr replacement. Does anyone have any ideas on this before i take it in for service or has anyone one else had issues like this?

Thanks in advance

Styl3r
Styl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2020, 09:11   #2334
Styl3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styl3r View Post
Hi all, first post so be gentle. Bought my 2015 xc60 D4 2.0 r design auto in July 2017 from a Volvo dealership, full Volvo service history with 59000 on clock( now has 70000). Also took out service agreement with them at time of purchase. Roll forward to July 2019 dreaded engine management light on and diagnosed EGR cooler problem. egr cooler and hoses replaced and software updated all FOC, even though now out of warrant, which was nice but no paperwork given. I did ask, but Volvo rep said i didn't need any, fair enough, but not sure if this is true. Anyway next day after repair(warn day) pushed aircon button, nothing happened, tried again nothing. Pressed the auto climate button on the fan control dial and aircon came on, thought great just a blip. turned climate off and tried aircon button again still not working. Turned on and off a few times, started and stopped engine a few times but to no avail. Couple days later aircon button now working so didn't think anymore of it. Noticed engine still seemed under powered at low revs and pulling away (turbo seemed reluctant to kick in). Monitored for a few days and noticed that MPG was still poor, before egr problem was getting 34mpg around town now only 28-30MPG. Then whilst driving all instrument panel just went blank car still driving fine, minute later instrument panel came back on, weird, but ok all good now. I tow with this car and usually have it in manual. now after EGR replacement when i pull away on a hill and change gear i can get up to 5 gear and it still sounds like 1st gear turbo and revs just stay high just constantly boosting the engine, again weird never did this before. Oh yeah other strange problems rear drivers side window opened about an inch on it's own a couple of times, giving voice commands to satnav is pointless as it never seems to get it right, now, i know i'm from the west country, but worked before. I live at the bottom of a long hill and before update car would go up 3rd gear now only changes to second gear with the same revs, even my wife noticed it and believe me that is saying something. Car also comes up to temp faster and all engine radiator fans seem to be running, never did before update. May all just be coincidental, but i do not like coincidences. It's in for a service Jan 27 and have reported all these observations to Volvo straight after repair and since other issues. They will be looking at them at service time( they pointed out at my expense). I have checked other forum groups and have heard other users saying they have had strange things happen with this software update, after egr replacement. Does anyone have any ideas on this before i take it in for service or has anyone one else had issues like this?

Thanks in advance

Styl3r
Just a quick update on my issues. Contacted the Volvo dealership i purchased the car from and who i have a service agreement with, and explained that many people are talking of issues over the egr replacement and subsequent software update. To my amazement he said i shouldn't listen to those posts as they are "keyboard warriors" that write a load of rubbish. I did explain that it is a Volvo forum with owners, mechanics and dealership engineers. Not sure what to make of his comment whether just covering his own (volvo) backside or purely ignorant.

Last edited by Styl3r; Jan 15th, 2020 at 11:45.
Old Jan 15th, 2020, 09:28   #2335
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Just a quick update on my issues. Contacted the Volvo dealership i purchased the car from and who i have a service agreement with, and explained that many people are talking of issues over the egr replacement and subsequent software update. To my amazement he said i shouldn't listen to those posts as they are "keyboard warriors" that write a load of rubbish. I did explain that it is a Volvo forum with owners, mechanics and dealership engineers. Not sure what to make of his comment whether just covering his own (volvo) backside or purely ignorant.
Just to be clear, your car does have the VEA engine? If it has the 5-cylinder engine (which I believe some AWD XC60s continued to use for some time) then this thread does not apply.

It can be hard to find anyone at a Volvo dealer who can properly answer your questions. If you keep questioning the desk staff then, if you're lucky, they'll drag someone out from the back who might know what's going on. I did once get to talk to an incredibly knowledgeable Volvo tech who did a great job of fixing a really odd problem on my cars communication systems.

Last edited by Zebster; Jan 15th, 2020 at 09:32.
Zebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2020, 11:53   #2336
Styl3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
Just to be clear, your car does have the VEA engine? If it has the 5-cylinder engine (which I believe some AWD XC60s continued to use for some time) then this thread does not apply.

It can be hard to find anyone at a Volvo dealer who can properly answer your questions. If you keep questioning the desk staff then, if you're lucky, they'll drag someone out from the back who might know what's going on. I did once get to talk to an incredibly knowledgeable Volvo tech who did a great job of fixing a really odd problem on my cars communication systems.
hi thanks for the reply, yeah it's the 4 cylinder FWD xc60 r design 2.0 2015. Since the software update there have been odd things occurring, as i pointed out. it ha such lack of power now and when pulling out into traffic you just have to hope the thing gets off the mark. Trouble is, sometimes when it does it goes like a bat out of hell. Gear changes have altered slow to move up the box. At normal running temp you can now hear all the fans kick in from within the car. Almost sounds like the aircon unit becomes active, but it's not. After update aircon button would not light up only way to activate aircon was the auto climate button on fan control, but after a couple of days it decided to work correctly by pressing aircon button. Just weird things and doesn't now drive the same. Hoping this new ecm r29948 software update might address some of the issues, without adding anymore.

Styl3r
Old Jan 15th, 2020, 13:18   #2337
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
hi thanks for the reply, yeah it's the 4 cylinder FWD xc60 r design 2.0 2015. Since the software update there have been odd things occurring, as i pointed out. it ha such lack of power now and when pulling out into traffic you just have to hope the thing gets off the mark. Trouble is, sometimes when it does it goes like a bat out of hell. Gear changes have altered slow to move up the box. At normal running temp you can now hear all the fans kick in from within the car. Almost sounds like the aircon unit becomes active, but it's not. After update aircon button would not light up only way to activate aircon was the auto climate button on fan control, but after a couple of days it decided to work correctly by pressing aircon button. Just weird things and doesn't now drive the same. Hoping this new ecm r29948 software update might address some of the issues, without adding anymore.

Styl3r
Having received a raft of software updates on Monday during service #6 (including the R29948 ECM update) the only thing noticeable is that the e-dipstick now becomes available whenever the engine is off (no need for a 2-hour wait, which was unnecessary for an average indication of the last 30km).

When I had problems last year with a loss of power when pulling away (actually quite serious problems when in traffic) it was the first sign that my EGR valve was sticking open, however the problem rapidly worsened until the car became completely undriveable.
Old Jan 17th, 2020, 15:05   #2338
Styl3r

hi how do you check e dipstick, oil symbol on my screen unable to select, sort of greyed out. I had the scary pulling away, or should i say, not pulling away problem. Right up until engine management light came on and dealership replaced the egr cooler and pipes. Still doesn't pull away well in traffic. Still a bum clencher .

Styl3r
Old Jan 17th, 2020, 15:09   #2339
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
hi how do you check e dipstick, oil symbol on my screen unable to select, sort of greyed out. I had the scary pulling away, or should i say, not pulling away problem. Right up until engine management light came on and dealership replaced the egr cooler and pipes. Still doesn't pull away well in traffic. Still a bum clencher .

Styl3r
So they didn't replace the EGR valve?

To access the e-dipstick you hold down the start button WITHOUT pushing the clutch until the ignition is fully on... Then when you scroll though the options you should find that the oil level symbol is active
Old Jan 19th, 2020, 12:56   #2340
Styl3r

As far as i am aware they replaced the efr cooler and pipework, never received any paperwork. I did query this and was advised its all on the system now.
Thanks for explaining how the e dipstick works, i have about 90% oil. In for service 27th January so will be asking for confirmation of what was carried out for the egr.
will update when i have further information.
Did you receive paperwork for egr replacement? Should i insist on having documentation to prove work was carried out?

Styl3r

Last edited by Styl3r; Jan 19th, 2020 at 13:32.
The Following User Says Thank You to Styl3r For This Useful Post: