Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Safety recall for fire risk

Views : 86103

Replies : 468

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 14th, 2020, 17:39   #341
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash300 View Post
I have a service coming up shortly at approx 108K. Just wondering if the change of intake manifold might be a positive thing to get done. If so I might start smelling a bit of burning on occasions and noticing bit of reduced performance
Worth a try! I did report that my mpg was a bit lower than it used to be, but apparently that's not a trigger issue.
Old Jan 16th, 2020, 14:22   #342
mattster

Hi all,

Possibly my first post here

Bought a 2014 V60 D4 start of Dec '19 - noticed there were 2 recalls outstanding on the DVLA website, so got it booked into Volvo Hilington yesterday to get the work done.

I was told when I arrived that it was actually just one recall, a software update. that one is listed on the paperwork as R29948.
Also as part of the recall work, they have noted:
EGR Rebuild
Clean up T Map & E Map pipes

Sounds like some dealers are just inspecting pipes for damage, others may be cleaning out the EGR system....
mattster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mattster For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2020, 10:02   #343
marsdalebear
I've Been Banned

Reply from Volvo to my request for information.

Good morning Mr *****

I can reassure that we are still working on this issue and because of the number of vehicle involved we had to release the fix in batches so our retailers are not overwhelmed number of vehicle they will need to attend at a given time.

The first two batches have already been released and these vehicle have already had the fix implemented. We are now working to release the third and finally batch which you will receive the letter about soon.

Kind regards

Anyone on here fixed in the first 2 batches??
marsdalebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2020, 14:10   #344
CDean

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsdalebear View Post
Reply from Volvo to my request for information.

Good morning Mr *****

I can reassure that we are still working on this issue and because of the number of vehicle involved we had to release the fix in batches so our retailers are not overwhelmed number of vehicle they will need to attend at a given time.

The first two batches have already been released and these vehicle have already had the fix implemented. We are now working to release the third and finally batch which you will receive the letter about soon.

Kind regards

Anyone on here fixed in the first 2 batches??
This is my first post and I will share my recent experience. My XC90 2016 was recently completed 16th Jan 2020, with a few drawn-out issues. Not sure which batch I am on.

The car was checked in Jan 3rd, the mechanical elements were completed but the dealer called to say that one of the software components would not install (which means the recall repair could not be completed. At that time, they were cheeky to ask me to pay for the software update - it wasn't much but on principle, I refused!).

After some to/fro-ing and because the XC90 is still under a Selekt warranty (bought from another franchised dealer- which complicated things- but that is another story), this dealer garage decided to look into the problem and it was diagnosed that the telematics unit was faulty.

The process took a while, nearly two weeks for what I thought was going to be a day's work -- doing a full install & facing issues, contacting Sweden for assistance, waiting for the a telematics new unit, and arrangements with the Seleckt warranty insurance.

It seems like the repair requires quite an extensive upgrade of the car's operating software (if not the whole OS?) - if there are faulty components which stop the software upgrades from completing, this could delay the recall repairs. If mine wasn't under extended warranty, I presume I would have needed to pay for a new telematics unit.

Perhaps there is a silver lining in being part of the later batches after Volvo irons out all the kinks...

Last edited by CDean; Jan 22nd, 2020 at 14:14. Reason: Include car model
CDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 14:41   #345
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrp140 View Post
Thanks for reply Clan. I have only had the car a few months so don't know what letter was sent out last spring.

The email I received today is as follows :

IMPORTANT - VEHICLE SAFETY NOTIFICATION

<snip>

What we have done?
Volvo has completed their investigations, working with the appropriate authorities, and has concluded that your Volvo will require a software upgrade to the Engine Control Module, and fitment of additional hoses to re-route the cooling system of the exhaust gas recirculation system.
Interesting - I've just had my letter today, & have booked in for next Thursday for an hours work to have a software upgrade to the Engine Control Module....

....but mine makes no mention of any additional hoses needed.

These are letters from the dealers, I believe: I wonder if they have 'carte blanche' to chose to examine hoses separately and deal with it, or whether there really is a difference between the models.
Anyone feel it is something I should perhaps ask them about in advance?

Mine is an early (2014) D4 auto unit.

& yes, mine also has Polestar: the service fella assured me very confidently this would have zero impact on that side of things.
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 16:42   #346
Deadloak

Not had a letter, but my annual service was done yesterday, plus a safety recall. But no statement to what it was.
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 22:51   #347
K5 Gus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeIOW View Post
Interesting - I've just had my letter today, & have booked in for next Thursday for an hours work to have a software upgrade to the Engine Control Module....

....but mine makes no mention of any additional hoses needed.

These are letters from the dealers, I believe: I wonder if they have 'carte blanche' to chose to examine hoses separately and deal with it, or whether there really is a difference between the models.
Anyone feel it is something I should perhaps ask them about in advance?

Mine is an early (2014) D4 auto unit.

& yes, mine also has Polestar: the service fella assured me very confidently this would have zero impact on that side of things.
My letter only mentioned a s/w upgrade, but when I phoned to book it in they said they needed it for 3-4 hours. Took it in yesterday and when I queried why so long for a s/w upgrade they said major s/w update plus new hoses. All working fine after, no probs and mpg about usual
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 00:20   #348
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K5 Gus View Post
My letter only mentioned a s/w upgrade, but when I phoned to book it in they said they needed it for 3-4 hours. Took it in yesterday and when I queried why so long for a s/w upgrade they said major s/w update plus new hoses. All working fine after, no probs and mpg about usual
I’m certainly hoping mine will all be working fine after: it’s been working just fine before!
Guess I will ask about the hoses when I’m there.
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 13:37   #349
apsel

I just received my letter from Volvo inviting me to call the dealer to arrange the recall fix. I called and was told it is only a software upgrade which should take less than an hour. They weren't able to tell me what this does other than cancelling the recall. I guess all it does, as others believe, is to monitor for compression loss on each cylinder and if detected shuts the cylinder down and puts the car in limp home mode. Not a solution to the underlying problem but a method of avoiding a fire!
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 14:51   #350
GuidoBrunetti

Default Recall R29947

Just got my car back. Invoice to Volvo says (including lack of punctuation) “R29947 carried out EGR hose recall clean EMAP and TMAP replaced hoses carried out software update”.

Line items include a “hose kit” and”090973/ECM EGR REBUI”

Before the recall my hoses had a T-piece and now don’t so presumably now at latest spec.

Tags
egr problems, v60 d4