Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Possible purchase

Views : 710

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 8th, 2019, 08:15   #1
heyskull
Heyskull

Default Possible purchase

After my son bought his S60 D5 it has intrested me in buying one.

The car sales place next to me has a 2002 D5 automatic come in as part ex.
It is half decent condition but has the awful oak leather interior which could be only worse if it was the cream interior.

Has anyone one come across a decent and cheap way of rejuvenating this colour, as it never seems to be as hard wearing as the black leather?

Also this had the original in dash sat nav system which will probably need updating. Is their a manual for this (as it is not part of the original owners manual) and any updates still available? Is their anything else you can do with this using the screen as a dvd player etc?

Lastly what should I be looking for regarding faults and repairs to check for?

SC
heyskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2019, 09:40   #2
reggit
Premier Member

Had a couple with the Oak interior and it wasn't bad at all, but does show wear quicker than black - I think you can get leather dye if that's what you want to do. or there are various leather feed treatments around.

the satnav is OK, but lacks postcode input which is a pain. Last available discs are 2015 - check it works as the laser gets weak and can fail as they get older. If buying new discs, get used ones off ebay as volvo still charge around £200 as far as I know. The screen was also used as a TV and the car may have a tuner built in, if so this will be analogue so is as much use as a chocolate fireguard these days.

This age of car can suffer a failing dashboard cluster (volvo speak is DIM), its around a £100 repair - if anything on the dash is suspect, factor this in. May be as little as the highbeam warning light not working. Also check the little screen at the bottom left is working, will say door open etc at the appropriate times. It's also used to advise if there are any faults on the car (but not what the fault is) some unscrupulous sellers have been known to take the back light bulbs out of it!

Otherthings, they are heavy cars, so likely getting ready for some of the suspension bushes/shocks etc renewing.

Timing belt is 10 years/108,000 miles - the auxbelt and tensioners must also have been done as failure here often takes out the timing belt.

This thread may be useful reading https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=40932

Last edited by reggit; Sep 8th, 2019 at 09:43.
reggit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2019, 17:48   #3
heyskull
Heyskull

Well all the dashboard works brilliantly and the car runs and changes gear so smoothly.

As for the sat nav their is no disc in the drive so I will not know whether it is ok without it.
Is their somewhere I can download it or buy it cheaply?

Bit weird that although it has sat nav and the dolby pro logic stereo it doesn't have heated seats.

The seats are OK but not perfect with the normal bolster repair on the drivers seat. If their was one thing I would change is the horrible colour but sadly it carries on to the door cards and dashboard! Would it look odd with the seats dyed?

The centre armrest console has a broken hinge and a very tatty handbrake gator.

SC
Old Sep 8th, 2019, 20:38   #4
davebb
Premier Member

You can get very good gaters from ebay
How many miles and what price is it,
Dave
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2019, 01:48   #5
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

dont bother if its an auto. Unless you have evidence its been refurbed
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2019, 10:18   #6
heyskull
Heyskull

barrybritcher

Really?
Drives better than my sons Manual which is three years younger and 50,000 miles less.
ATF is clean and it works perfectly when at working temperature.
It has no warning lights and was owned by a haulage company that serviced and maintained it.
Normally I can fault something, but this drives as if it's a three year old car (probably better than some three year old cars)

SC