Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

740 air distribution box removal ‘90RHD non-AC GLT

Views : 440

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 17th, 2019, 11:24   #1
lobster740

Default 740 air distribution box removal ‘90RHD non-AC GLT

Having a bit of a brick wall moment with getting the air distribution box out of my ‘90 745 GLT which is RHD with heater blower only - no air con or climate control fitted. Heater matrix has properly let go which explains the holes in the floor on photos.

The FAQ and how-to articles I’ve found here and on Brickboard all seem to relate to air con models and I can’t fathom out the process for getting mine out.

I’ve got exploded diagrams from my mate who works at a Volvo dealer but I can’t figure out whether I need to take the whole air box out, or whether I can get away with removing the bottom half of the assembly to get the core out.

Any advice from anyone who's been there before appreciated!

PDF file with photos attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Volvo air box.pdf (485.5 KB, 21 views)
lobster740 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lobster740 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 17th, 2019, 23:09   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobster740 View Post
Heater matrix has properly let go which explains the holes in the floor on photos.
Sorry to burst your bubble but usually if the heater matrix leaks, it does it into the drivers footwell.
What you have in the passenger side is a common rust trap.

Not sure exactly what causes it but it's fairly common.

Sorry i can't offer any advice on the heater matrix removal - so far i've been spared that task!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2019, 23:23   #3
lobster740

Thanks - I did see that about the rot spot in the passenger floor above the outrigger somewhere. Most of the coolant was in the drivers footwell and the drivers side duct that feeds to the rear. Got a hole in the same spot as your pic on the drivers side too. Also coolant coming out of the central face vents and defrost vents and soaking all the relays and fuses. From the glimpse I’ve had of the matrix it doesn’t look happy, and neither does the water valve by the clutch pedal.
Seen the threads on the unobtainable water valve as well, happy days
Not looking like the quick turnaround I’d hoped for!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lobster740 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 17th, 2019, 23:41   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

As a temporary measure, you could bypass the valve and/or heater matrix with some 15mm copper pipe to keep you mobile, i've heard rumours a Mk1 Golf heater valve fits and works which might be an option.

Does the car have a sunroof? Just wondering if a sunroof drain has caused the heater box to fill with water - also there are a couple of rubber drains on the bulkhead in the engine bay, they have a habit of getting clogged with leaves etc and causing the heater box to fill with water.

Can't find any pics of them but they're a bit of a way down on the bulkhead, one each side if memory serves. Either that or one near the brake servo - sorry to be sketchy but it's a while since i had a 740 and my 760 is different.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 17th, 2019, 23:53   #5
lobster740

It’s been off the road for 3 years and I’ve got it fairly extensively disassembled at the moment, so I’m in for a penny...
It does have the sliding sunroof. One of the circuits that’s been knocked out by liquid(s) as it happens, so I can’t open the blighter at the mo. Might as well have a look at air intake blockage potential as well, would be daft not to check it. The enduring stickiness / slipperiness of the front drivers side carpet and the pink crust around the water valve are concerning me though, time to jut out the jaw and climb back in...
The Following User Says Thank You to lobster740 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 18th, 2019, 00:16   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobster740 View Post
It does have the sliding sunroof. One of the circuits that’s been knocked out by liquid(s) as it happens, so I can’t open the blighter at the mo.
The most usual cause of inoperative sunroof (after the fuse) is the switch on the dash. No relays onvolved, the switch is fed with a switched +ve from the igniton switch and an earth then swaps them round on each output depending which way the switch is pressed.
If you get some contact cleaner spray, squirt it in the gap at the top of the rocker between it and the switch casing and operate the switch "viforously" in both directions then turn on the ignition and try it, you may well find it works. Try the tilt function first, easier to wind back down manually if needs be! A bit of contact cleaner and exercise on the switch should hopefully see it working again.

There should be a cover over the sunroof motor between the front edge of the sunroof hole and the windscreen top. It's held in place by two Phillips head screws at the rear edge and lugs at the front so undo the two screws and drop the motor cover down, being careful to not lose the screws. You should then see the motor, depending which one you have there will either be a square hole visible or a slot for a wide, flat bladed screwdriver to manually operate the roof.
The screwdriver slot has a pin in the middle that pops out when the motor is in the start position (sunroof closed in other words) which gives you a good reference point.

If you can get the roof open, lube the mechanism with silicone lube spray. While you have it, wind all the windows down and spray the groove in the rubber channels the glass runs in. If you're feeling enthusiastic, push the shutter aside on the locks in the doors and tailgate and squirt it in the lock barrels too. Same goes for any parts of the latch mechanisms and hinges. Simple job but very effective, especially if it's been off the road for a while!

Gives you something else to do that should give instant results while sorting the heater! Always handy to have a few little jobs like that when doing a resto, helps boost the enthusiasm again!

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 8th, 2020, 18:35   #7
Hickory Chris

Default 940 air distribution box like yours.

Did you ever get a reply to your post that addressed your question. I too have hit the same brick wall. How do you remove that white air distribution unit to get to the heater matrix?
Hickory Chris is offline   Reply With Quote