Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1800E leaking injector

Views : 1034

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 21st, 2019, 00:54   #1
sleek lemur

Default 1800E leaking injector

Hi all, craving your advice again!

I had a bad fuel leak from injector #2 and so bought the seal kit. Leak still as bad after fitting. Could the problem be the injector itself?

Took out injectors numbers 1 and 2 again and compared. Number 2's body is mostly covered in black glaze, whereas #1 is smooth steel. Put them back, but swapped positions. The offending injector still leaks (now at cylinder 1), but not as badly. Engine still hunting badly. Difficult to see clearly, but could the leak be from the injector itself? Certainly the top part is wet and I would identify the leak as where the blue plastic piece meets the metal body of the injector.

Does that seem possible/likely? Having swapped positions, I can't see any other option.

I'd really appreciate any wisdom, before I shell out on new Injectors.

Many thanks as always.
sleek lemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2019, 04:43   #2
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleek lemur View Post
Hi all, craving your advice again!

I had a bad fuel leak from injector #2 and so bought the seal kit. Leak still as bad after fitting. Could the problem be the injector itself?

Took out injectors numbers 1 and 2 again and compared. Number 2's body is mostly covered in black glaze, whereas #1 is smooth steel. Put them back, but swapped positions. The offending injector still leaks (now at cylinder 1), but not as badly. Engine still hunting badly. Difficult to see clearly, but could the leak be from the injector itself? Certainly the top part is wet and I would identify the leak as where the blue plastic piece meets the metal body of the injector.

Does that seem possible/likely? Having swapped positions, I can't see any other option.

I'd really appreciate any wisdom, before I shell out on new Injectors.

Many thanks as always.
You could get one of those fuel leak dye test kits on the bay of ee and see if the leak is at the top joint of the injector but I fear you'd be wasting your time for this instance but a kit like this might be of use in detecting other fuel leaks.

I'd go for the new set of injectors if they have been in the car for a long / unknown length of time. Check the fuel supply lines and the fitting to the injectors and replace the injectors as a set.

On my Mercedes CIS (system) I found I cured a hard starting problem by sealing unions with Loctite 5400 thread sealant. I didn't use it on the connections to the injectors but I don't see why that wouldn't work. The problem with using an additional sealant, however, is when you break the seal and you need to put things back together again...
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Army For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 21st, 2019, 11:33   #3
cassell
Member since 1988

Hi,
Reading your post I seem to think you may have two separate issues with your injector.

Firstly, the black glaze is likely to have been caused by a leaking/split/distorted seal ring which you have possibly rectified by fitting new seals. One question, did you also replace the thin O ring in the head where the injector fits or just the two thicker injector seals?

I would assume the blackening was caused by exhaust gas forcing its way past the seals?

Secondly, before you condemn your injector it's likely that the top blue bakelite part of the injector is getting wet with petrol because of a leak where the short rubber hose and collar are fitted to the inlet stub. Remember that the fuel pressure here is very high and the slightest weakness in that area will cause a visible leak and if left unattended, an engine fire!

Before spending a lot of money on new injectors have a look at this kit on eBay, it's got everything you need to overhaul all 4 injectors to ensure that they are properly petrol-tight.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-P18...0AAOSwEYpb4KES

The kit doesn't include the thin O ring I mentioned but they are available from Brookhouse separately.

Hope this helps, Paul.
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cassell For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 21st, 2019, 13:11   #4
sleek lemur

Hi Paul, thanks for the really helpful reply. Just checked and the injector is leaking at the joint between the plastic cap and the metal body. Not clear whether the kit would solve that. Have asked the seller. If it does then you might have saved me £400!

Tim
Old Aug 21st, 2019, 13:25   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Hi Paul, thanks for the really helpful reply. Just checked and the injector is leaking at the joint between the plastic cap and the metal body. Not clear whether the kit would solve that. Have asked the seller. If it does then you might have saved me £400!

Tim
I wonder if the later 940 injectors would work ? easily available and cheap . i have often though about fitting the whole LH system from one to a B20E it would run faultlessly ...
Old Aug 21st, 2019, 13:33   #6
sleek lemur

Hi Clan, Simon from Brookhouse says he supplies the early 240 injectors as a direct replacement. He doesn't have any in stock right now and is checking with his supplier in Sweden. The eBay Mr Injector kit sounds v interesting, though, but I can't see from the picture of the kit how it.might solve my leak. Have messaged the seller, so let's see.
Old Aug 21st, 2019, 13:56   #7
sleek lemur

Hi Paul and Clan. Spoke to manufacturer of repair kit and he has confirmed that my Injector is scrap. Really helpful fellow.

Brookhouse's usual suppliers can't help and so quote is £525. Good news is I should have them in 5 business days.

Bad news is I now can't afford to fee the cat.

Thank you both again.

Tim
Old Aug 21st, 2019, 14:03   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Hi Clan, Simon from Brookhouse says he supplies the early 240 injectors as a direct replacement. He doesn't have any in stock right now and is checking with his supplier in Sweden. The eBay Mr Injector kit sounds v interesting, though, but I can't see from the picture of the kit how it.might solve my leak. Have messaged the seller, so let's see.
The 240 did not use those type injectors until 1990 , so I would say a late 240 , although they are the same as late 740 and all 940 .. I daresay 360 GLT are the same too . except the top fitting is not for a rubber hose , you might be able to use the whole rail if the injector spacing is the same , or perhaps someone supplies adapters to convert to hose fitting .
Old Aug 21st, 2019, 14:04   #9
Derek UK
VOC Member

You look to be close to Brian Gue who runs Amazonia at Denham IP21 5EX 01379 871561. I think he might be worth a visit. He covers all old Volvos and could have some used injectors you could try.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 21st, 2019, 14:23   #10
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
I wonder if the later 940 injectors would work ? easily available and cheap . i have often though about fitting the whole LH system from one to a B20E it would run faultlessly ...
940 injectors won't work

A LH2.4 swap is easy and will be the best running B20 ever
A LH2.2 with dizzy from a 240 with LH2.2 even more easy and tuneable at the ignition site.

Big problem in Germany: not road legal

Have a nice day, Kay
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mocambique-amazone For This Useful Post: