Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New turbo, not enough boost

Views : 439

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 16th, 2019, 14:32   #1
zac123

Question New turbo, not enough boost

Howdy Volvo lovers,

fitted a new turbo to my V50 this weekend. the bearing had failed on the old one and was making a hell of a noise.

stupidly i did not adjust the actuator arm on the new turbo to match the old turbo when i installed it and now i'm finding the new turbo doesn't boost up quite as much as the old one.
can anyone tell me which why i should twist it to increase boost.

clockwise or anti clockwise?

here is a picture of the old turbo in the correct orientation.
thanks
zac
Attached Images
File Type: jpg turbo.jpg (166.0 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by zac123; Sep 16th, 2019 at 15:27.
zac123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2019, 14:49   #2
rob99

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac123 View Post
Howdy Volvo lovers,

fitted a new turbo to my V50 this weekend. the bearing had failed on the old one and was making a hell of a noise.

stupidly i did not adjust the actuator arm on the new turbo to match the old turbo when i installed it and now i'm finding the new turbo doesn't boost up quite as much as the old one.

clockwise or anti clockwise.

thanks
zac
That core doesnt look new.

If you changed the core then the actuator arm should not of been moved only un-clipped from arm.

What may of happened is vnt tirbos work with the vacuum pulling the arm to the grub screw stop in your picture you must change this if the actuator arm length has not changed.

The grub screw stop is the start of where the vnt mechanism starts from if its not starting from the correct position then the cheese wedges of the vny will not be directing exhaust gasses onto your turbine correctly.
rob99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2019, 14:52   #3
rob99

Sorry thats your old turbo.

The stop screw must be set to the same length as the old one try and set it up best you can with the threads you can see from your old pic.

If you have unscrewed the actuator arm the again you need to set it up as best you can from your picture.

Or i would send the turbo off to get it setup properly.
rob99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2019, 15:54   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac123 View Post
Howdy Volvo lovers,

clockwise or anti clockwise?

thanks
zac
The question which comes to mind is what did you do to ensure this turbo won't fail any time soon? Turbochargers generally do not wear out , 90% of failures are down to the oil supply . did you fit a new oil feed pipe and make sure large quantities of oil pumped out when you cranked the engine? Just wondered ..
Old Sep 16th, 2019, 17:32   #5
zac123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The question which comes to mind is what did you do to ensure this turbo won't fail any time soon? Turbochargers generally do not wear out , 90% of failures are down to the oil supply . did you fit a new oil feed pipe and make sure large quantities of oil pumped out when you cranked the engine? Just wondered ..
yes new feed pipe and banjo and properly primed with oil before cranking the engine for the oil pump to do its job.
Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 14:30   #6
zac123

to finish this tread off in case anyone else has the same question..

i adjusted the grub screw stop upwards by approx 3mm. I then released the locking nut on the actuator arm and wound the thumb turn section clockwise down until it met with the locking nut.
i made these adjustments based on information i gathered online. please do your own research first in case these adjustments are suitable for your setup.

the turbo now boosts the same as it did before and i'm happy its operating as it should.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zac123 For This Useful Post: