Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rotary Multi-tools.

Views : 1104

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 27th, 2023, 22:03   #1
VolvoFan
Master Member

Default Rotary Multi-tools.

There are so many rotary multi-tools available that I am bewildered. I'm looking for a cordless one which will drill, cut, grind, sand and polish, complete with a range of tools. It needs to be a well-known make for ease of obtaining spares and not over-expensive.

I'm not a professional tradesman, so any points on what to look for when buying or recommendations for particular brands/models which give good performance and durability, yet not break the bank!

Thanks in anticipation.
VolvoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2023, 23:35   #2
Bob 1967
Master Member

In my experience the most important part of any rotary tool is the chuck.
If it can't grip the tool correctly(under load) it's totally useless.

Other than that, they are pretty similar.
Most have variable speeds.
Accessories are made by countless companies.
Old Feb 27th, 2023, 23:42   #3
Bob 1967
Master Member

On further reflection, an air tool(die grinder) would be better.
Probably outside in budgetary terms though.
My compressor wouldn't power one for some reason.
Old Feb 28th, 2023, 01:21   #4
blueosprey90
Master Member

I'm a home gamer.

I have a basement full of tools, but not one of them will do what you wish.

For automotive fabrication, I find an angle grinder quite useful. I have two - the second one used mostly for sanding. A dremmel tool comes in handy, especially for cutting or shaping smaller parts. I have an orbital sander, a belt sander and an orbital polisher - but the latter for polishing and waxing, not for sanding of any kind.

I have a bench grinder for shaping, sharpening tools and the like. I have a hand held electric drill, but a drill press might be nice.

A come-a-long for pulling engines and moving heavy parts.

If you want portable, I like DeWalt tools - but batteries are expensive. Most DeWalt tools are sold without the battery. Most of my tools are corded. My air compressor isn't large enough for air tools.

Don't go cheap. Try to buy quality tools, as they will function better and last longer.

Last edited by blueosprey90; Feb 28th, 2023 at 01:23.
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blueosprey90 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 28th, 2023, 01:29   #5
142 Guy
Master Member

A good air powered rotary die grinder will be expensive, noisy and require a good sized air compressor. I have a 60 gal 2 cylinder 3 or 5 hp up-right compressor and I would say that it is borderline for heavy use of my admittedly middling quality die grinder. $1000 - $1500 Cdn would probably get you started with a good air grinder, compressor and hoses.

The lower [priced cordless rotary tools that I have seen are mainly for hobby work / model making. They work fine on plastic and wood and other relatively soft materials. They will not be satisfactory if you are trying to cut steel. I am now on my 3rd corded Dremel tool - having burned out the previous two. I am unintentionally wedded to the Dremel because I have a bunch of Dremel specific attachments. Even the best corded Dremel is marginal for heavy work. After about 5-7 minutes of heavy use I have to put it down to let it cool off. Makita, De Walt, Bosch and probably others make some nice, albeit heavier and larger corded die grinders which start north of $200 Cdn without any accessories. I know Bosch does have a cordless die grinder. With its battery it is kind of big, almost two handed and its price is around $400.

You need to be more specific about your end -use for the die grinder. My only observation is that for anything on a car, the light weight battery powered die grinders are probably going to be extremel;y unsatisfactory.

Last edited by 142 Guy; Feb 28th, 2023 at 01:31.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 28th, 2023, 18:46   #6
Rustinmotion

Dremmel and similar are last resort, they are not man enough for the job but useful in a bind
Splitting a nut or grinding a rivet out fine taking 20 out not so good and drilling is fine as long as it’s 3mm as that’s all that fits
Don’t get me wrong they are a godsend for that one awkward job but not what you want for long term use
Plenty of systems now use the same battery so getting a drill and a grinder is not too expensive then expanding to a die grinder and other tools as and when funds allow is a good way to go
I have a Ryobi drill and angle grinder as a starter kit, expanded it to an led work lamp I may go for an impact wrench next the bare tools are not that expensive once you have a couple of batteries and a charger
Rustinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rustinmotion For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 1st, 2023, 14:20   #7
Derek UK
VOC Member

It would be good if the OP said what tools he thinks will do the jobs he is likely be going to do. It can be a big investment if they are all bought at once. Initially it sounds as if a Dremel is wanted but although it is useful it's at the bottom of the list. Pick a decent make. It may be De Walt, Makita or similar and build a system that will use the same batteries. Having said that there will be times when a small drill with lower volts will be best and win over a large high volt piece of kit. Horses for courses. A small drill and a medium size impact driver might be a good starter pair. Wired angle grinders are a lot cheaper than cordless ones and better for larger jobs that take extra time.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 1st, 2023, 18:44   #8
Jimmy Cliff

Dremel 4000 is the one you want, more robust than the others. As a sculptor I’ve explored tons of other options including die grinders and alike. I’ve lots of other power tools carvers etc, but for small or restricted areas they are ideal. This is the 4000 though, the other versions are made of cheese. As an aside, I’m also a time served engineer so my experience of them is not limited to sculptor alone. Oh, and the flexi shaft attatchment is a must. All the best.
Jimmy Cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2023, 19:33   #9
142 Guy
Master Member

I have a Dremel 4300. It is just OK. As Rustinmotion noted, if you had to remove 20 rusted nuts it would be stinking hot by the time you finished. The 4300 is convenient to use because it is relatively small and light weight. Unfortunately, because of its small size the vent holes are right where your hand holds the tool so cooling air flow is partially blocked. Also, if you are doing things like cutting rusty bolts you are using an abrasive disk and those do not work well at high speed. I typically run the tool at 10-15 on the 0-35 speed range. The lower motor speed also means reduced cooling air flow.

If you are regularly doing a lot of heavy metal cutting I would be looking for something heavier duty than any Dremel. OK for occasionally cutting a rusty bolt or sharpening the blade on your lawnmower.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 5th, 2023, 21:12   #10
VolvoFan
Master Member

Thanks. I liked the spec of the 4000 but understand that it has been discontinued and couldn't find a stockist who had one. I was also put off by some negative reviews; but I try to read between the lines and suppose a poor workman blames his tools for his failures.
I'm not sure exactly what the 4000's replacement is, but the Dremel's I've seen advertised are above my price limit.
VolvoFan is offline   Reply With Quote