Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo V70 Xc steering shake

Views : 1448

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 8th, 2010, 05:29   #1
snowdude

Default Volvo V70 Xc steering shake

I took it to our local volvo dealer to get it looked at. (for $70) they concluded it is a join in the rear drive shaft, and i have to get the shaft rebuilt by an drive train person (a new shaft is $1200)

would this cause a shake in steering only while going round the bends?

also its throwing a p0422 catalyst defective thingy. i plan on just leaving it defective since we don't have emissions tests in my state. (anyone know how to remove the cat censor?) otherwise i just might take out the CEL bulb and get it scanned every month.

thanks!

snowdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 17:31   #2
pacman67
VOC Member

Ive always understood vibrations from the rear are felt in your seat, and front can be felt in the steering wheel. Is it only in corners, or is it present otherwise.
currently held: V70 P3 D5 SE LUX, XC90 MK2 Inscription Pro.
pacman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 17:39   #3
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

I had bad steering shake on my v70 and when i took the wheels off it was obvious why

The inside rims of the alloys had been bent out of true by hitting various obstacles and this was what caused the issues - I had them 'straightened' and the the vibrations disappeared!

Worth having a look, especially as a rear drive shaft would manifest itself as vibrations throughout the car, not steering which I agree would indicate the front wheels
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 18:54   #4
FCPGroton
Trader

+1

If all of your suspension parts seem to be in good shape, I would check out the wheels for any bends in them.
+1.877.634.0063
Get 10% off your order, use coupon code VOLVOFORUMUK : FCP Euro Official Car Parts Website <- Click
FCPGroton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 01:25   #5
snowdude

its only while cornering.. and its slowly getting worse.

Old Jan 9th, 2010, 01:38   #6
Lmason
L Mason

Default wobbling

maybe worth getting your wheels balanced first. also, check the rear swinging arm bushes,
dunno how riggorous your mot tests are over there, but it may be as cheap to get it re tested so the suspension etc is check out.
if your wanting to do it yourself, jack up each corner of the car, lifting off just one wheel at a time and check for any play etc.
are the wheel nuts tightened correctly?
yeah, sounds funny, but this year i had 2 wheels nearly fall off because the nuts had worked loose.
and i felt a wobble going round corners so just caught the problem before i lost my wheels in the ditch (lol)
Lmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 02:00   #7
GEORGEROV
GEORGEROV

Cool

They said it was ' a join in the rear drive shaft ' . But where?. You have the longtitudinal main drive shaft coupled through a rear cv joint to the Viscous coupling then the diff!. Viscous coupling is a known weak point . As is the front transfer box. Shake in the steering while going round bends sounds like a transfer box or viscous coupling issue to me. I wouldn't proceed unless on a no fix no pay basis.
GEORGEROV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2010, 20:09   #8
snowdude

im pretty sure its not a wheel problem. its a rear propeller shaft, my mistake. apprently it just has to get rebuilt.

the problem with me trying to get a "no fix" no pay is the shaft would be rebuilt by a person and then will be put on by another. the volvo dealer will not be involved, as the dealer recommended (i know the service manager he said it wouldn't be worth it.

We dont have MOT's here, once the car is off the showroom its done. the only time cars have to get work done is at used dealers. selling your car private however requires no inspection.