Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Any Advice?

Views : 13381

Replies : 248

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 28th, 2020, 19:43   #161
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I can not find any way to explain how a 760 turbo could have left the factory with a B23ET and running K jet rather than Motronic. I have seen a LOT of 760 Turbo's and every single one was running Motronic injection. The only K jet Turbo car I have ever seen is a imported 244 Turbo with a B21ET that should have been K jet anyway.

The Key variation with motonic (as the only system found in the 740/760 turbos) is that 1 ECU controls both fuel and ignition. LE in 360's has ignition controlled by the Renix module and LH uses the EZK for ignition
classicswede is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 28th, 2020, 19:46   #162
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

760 Turbo wheels were most commonly the style in this link (82 760) https://driventowrite.com/2015/11/14...burg-volvo262/
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 29th, 2020, 11:31   #163
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
.... Again, my words are being altered! ....
David I'm not sure your words were actually altered olde chap. The registration letter or year(s) might have been interpreted differently. Let us not go there.

I do know that someone posted a "quote" by me in another thread in another section, blatantly altering my word. I consider them contentious. Hey ho. And let us not go there.

I never grasped the current plot. Does anyone know if the discussion is still on topic?

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 29th, 2020, 11:58   #164
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
David I'm not sure your words were actually altered olde chap. The registration letter or year(s) might have been interpreted differently. Let us not go there.

I do know that someone posted a "quote" by me in another thread in another section, blatantly altering my word. I consider them contentious. Hey ho. And let us not go there.

I never grasped the current plot. Does anyone know if the discussion is still on topic?

Let me explain Stephen - i said i had seen a B reg 760 Turbo (the details were the subject of most of the preceding posts and shall remain there) and the response was that i hadn't seen a 1983 760 Turbo.

Firstly, i hadn't said i'd seen a 1983 car, secondly, B reg relates to 84/85 and third, the fact that the assumption was wrongly made that i had said 1983 was used as the basis to make me out to be an idiot.
I'm vertainly not an idiot and i object to things i've said being taken out of context and/or altered to try and make me out to be one.
If i'm wrong on something and someone can explain convincingly and preferably with references as to why/how i'm wrong, i'll gladly put my hands up and apologise.

However, nobody asked the question about the origins of the cr, how i came to know about it or anything but i eventually voluntered just enough information on it to explain.
However, as you've not been party to the discussion, i'll explain further.

The guy that owned the car was an ex-boss of mine. I worked for him after he sold his company to the one i worked for about 10 years after the event.
He therefore had a major chunk of money burning a hole in the taxmans pocket so he bought a brand new 760 Turbo. However, he didn't want it standard, he wanted GLE spec (which it had), different alloy wheels, which it had, a few other extras (can't remember what but i'm sure climate control was in there too) and didn't want electronic injection.

As such, he ended up with a B23ET with K-Jetronic injection, optional alloys, velour interior and several other things making it a very unique car that he had to collect from Volvo HQ as it was a special order.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29th, 2020, 18:04   #165
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

David I'm fairly sure therefore that your words were not actually altered olde chap. I hope that helps.

I look forward to seeing how the topic of this thread develops.

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 29th, 2020, 21:02   #166
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I had to read back through the past couple of pages to see where all this got out of hand.

All I did is correct your mistakes/confusion over what fuel system matched what engine code so I will list that applies to UK market

Carb engines Single choke side draught
B19A
B21A
B23A
B200A???? never seen one
B230A

The above could be had with a Turbo and would add a T at the end of the code

Carb twin choke down draught

B200K
B230K (note later versions use a Heron head)

K jetronic mechanical fuel injection

B19E - not offered in the UK
B21E
B23E
B200E * 200 and 700 series only
B230E

K jet turbo never sold in the uk but applies to B21ET engine in early 240 turbos

LE
B200E * 360 only

Motronic
B23ET Turbo engine 740 and 760 turbos
B230ET Turbo engine 740 and 760 Turbo early

LH2.4 Na
B200F
B230F
B230FB (vx cam 531 head)

LH2.4 Turbo
B230ET late
B200FT
B230Fk low pressure
B230FT high pressure
B230GT

When you look at other markets things become more confusing with Regina and LH2.2 sharing engine codes with other fuel systems

The above is all from the bible stored in my very good memory but I should be able to support the above with documentation but if the local Volvo dealer comes to me for this kind of into I think that says enough.

Applying the logic of a one off custom built car to form a general rule as to what fuel system a certain engine code model should be is where things all went wrong. Nick and myself could not find any logical way to explain this very odd engine/fuel system combination as all 760 turbos should have had Motronic injection on the redblock. BTW interesting story on this one off. It is amazing what Volvo would custom build back in the day. I have seen some unusual customs including things like a twin sunroof in a 240 again the car was collected from the factory in Sweden

How to identify Motronic / LH2.4

Motronic injection uses,
1) a mechanical flap air flow meter
2) twin crank position sensor
3) the ECU has Motronic in big letters on it along with type code

LH2.4 uses
1) hot wire air flow meter
2) single crank sensor
3) The ECU has Jetronic in big letters along with type code

LE and LH are not so easy but the flywheel and crank sensor are the give away. LH engines will have a 60-2 crank marks and LH uses 20-2-20-2 marking for the renix ignition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
Other than its a bit confusing all the above is wrong.

UK NEVER had any K jet turbo cars. The B23ET and B230ET with both Motronic (not LH) and used a mechanical flap air meter and no lambda. US Market and Euro market B21ET was K jet with Turbo.
B230FT B230FK and B230GT were LH2.4 closed loop lambda feedback electronic injection

Motronic and LH2.4 are very different systems with nothing in common other then being electronic injection

B200/230E engines were dropped 1990 with some cross over but easy to identify just by looking at the manifold. The LH2.4 engines are B200/230F

B230K is carb (early are a normal engine and later Heron heads)
Old Mar 1st, 2020, 09:33   #167
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

There were different versions of "LH2.4" during the production run.

LH2.4.2 has the cold start injector, but it was done away with by 'improved' electronics in LH2.4.4.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2020, 15:48   #168
Chris152

We've agreed the red ones and the white ones are our favourites. And black leather, mmmm... :-)

240s continue to come up slowly, but we're not finding the right combination of engine, non-cat, estate, condition and price. There seem to be three main categories:
£Lots for cars that look great but clearly priced far beyond all the others - presumably dealers who'll sit and wait for the right person;
£Silly for cars that obviously don't match up to the first category (some are faaar from it) but presumably the sellers have seen prices in the first category and are hopeful;
£Sensible asking prices as starting points, but which just don't tick all our 'essential' boxes.

I've been tempted, looking at some of the ads, to try to persuade him to compromise on a red line but really there's little point at this stage - it'll be his car to keep, so dad needs to be patient...
Chris152 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris152 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 17th, 2020, 19:54   #169
Chris152

Any idea what we could expect to pay for a used set of standard wheels and to have standard springs fitted to a 240? Thinking about a car with non-standard parts that'd need reverting to standard for insurance purposes.
Thanks, Chris.
Chris152 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris152 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 17th, 2020, 20:39   #170
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris152 View Post
Any idea what we could expect to pay for a used set of standard wheels and to have standard springs fitted to a 240? Thinking about a car with non-standard parts that'd need reverting to standard for insurance purposes.
Thanks, Chris.
I've replied to these questions in your PM Chris, something just crossed my mind and that's there might be other mods you're not aware of.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: