Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Electrical problem 940

Views : 15003

Replies : 314

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 10th, 2020, 18:43   #251
Ammorack

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS9 View Post
FYI the fuel pressure regulator is not fully eliminated, the leak test is just a basic test. You need to measure the pressure during the fault condition. (I think you measured it before but maybe in normal condition?)

BTW I think you have 2 fuel pumps, do you know if that is correct, and have you tested either of them in any way? Its possible the lift pump is failing.

Another random thought, adding everything together, feels like a ground problem on one or both of the ECUs. There is a buch of ground points in a big matrix beside the fuel ECU, all these should be connected.
Yes I have measured it before when the car decides to idle fine. Showed 2.5-3.0bar

I have checked ground points around both ECUs

I have two fuel pumps I believe. The one with the filter is renewed and delivers 3 bar. The intank is probably the original one. I haven’t been digging inside that tank. But I do have an Intank pump laying around
Ammorack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ammorack For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 10th, 2020, 18:47   #252
Ammorack

Quote:
Ok interesting video, mainly the idle + rev counter one.

The rev counter is not showing the correct rpms, its like doubling the rpms and really intermittent, its an untrue repesentation, jumping irratically NOT according to actual RPMS. Do you have a after market rev counter to check this with? Either the rev counter is faulty or the signal driving the coil is bad, normally the ignition amp, but I understand you have changed this. Definately give the wiring a good wiggle there (between AMP - coil -Ignition ECU).

It would be good to see if there is double the sparks pulses too. We are getting into scope requirement terratory.

I see why Dave was suspecting the CPS signal. Did you check the shield continuity to ground for the CPS?

When everything is good, do the rpms show the proper idle around 750rpm?

What happens when you squeeze shut the idle air bypass valve pipe (with your fingers)? Does it stay the same or completely die?

And other times its idles normally?
I don’t understand what you mean with “Shield continuity” if it’s Resistance it’s 160ohm. But shield continuity?

If I squeeze the idle hose the car stalls. And the tachometer is still bouncing.

When everything is functioning. It’s 650-750rom I believe
I don’t have an aftermarket rev counter.
Old Apr 10th, 2020, 18:58   #253
Ammorack

Sometimes when I turn on the ignition, the tachometer bounces 1mm or so slightly upwards.
Old Apr 10th, 2020, 19:12   #254
TonyS9
Premier Member

The shield continuity is just to check it is well connected to ground. The signal is small and is amplified so any noise from ignition system can be amplified into a fake signal. The shield keeps the electrical noise out.

When you unplug the connector for the CPS, put 1 probe on the shield pin (connected to the computer side) and the other on the chassis and check the resistance is near zero (maybe a few ohms).

You can do the same with the CPS cable aswell if you can find a way to connect to the shield near the sensor end. That maybe more difficult.

Additionally the 5V trigger signal going ignition amp from the computer is also shielded. The high voltage spark system needs to be kept away from the delicate computer signals.

Last edited by TonyS9; Apr 10th, 2020 at 19:30.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 10th, 2020, 19:56   #255
Ammorack

Quote:
The shield continuity is just to check it is well connected to ground. The signal is small and is amplified so any noise from ignition system can be amplified into a fake signal. The shield keeps the electrical noise out.

When you unplug the connector for the CPS, put 1 probe on the shield pin (connected to the computer side) and the other on the chassis and check the resistance is near zero (maybe a few ohms).

You can do the same with the CPS cable aswell if you can find a way to connect to the shield near the sensor end. That maybe more difficult.

Additionally the 5V trigger signal going ignition amp from the computer is also shielded. The high voltage spark system needs to be kept away from the delicate computer signals.
Black cable on CPS loom to chassis is 1.9ohm
Red cable on CPS loom to chassis is 2,9ohm

And on the CPS cable itself? So you mean from the tip of the sensor to chassis?
When it’s grounded to the engine of course

I get no readings on the end of CPS sensor to chassis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E8428386-BE3C-41F1-B6CE-AFBB32F656C4.jpg (88.8 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Ammorack; Apr 10th, 2020 at 19:59.
Old Apr 10th, 2020, 20:15   #256
Ammorack

Or I did this test wrong 🤔
Old Apr 10th, 2020, 21:29   #257
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I've just watched your first video Ammo. Have you got a timing light? As in for checking the igniton timng with the engine running? If so, can you connect it up and let us know (preferably with a video) what it's doing please?

I was thinking this over earlier and i've thought of something definite that would throw everything out and cause this. It's a known fault butwe need to tst for it to make sure.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 10th, 2020, 21:38   #258
Ammorack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I've just watched your first video Ammo. Have you got a timing light? As in for checking the igniton timng with the engine running? If so, can you connect it up and let us know (preferably with a video) what it's doing please?

I was thinking this over earlier and i've thought of something definite that would throw everything out and cause this. It's a known fault butwe need to tst for it to make sure.
I have actually done a timing light test. When idling it’s out of specs, really far out from 0-15DEG. And on 4000rpm it’s in between 0-15deg. The timing light is not here with me though. So I cannot so a tear with it for now. As it isn’t my tool.

So I have to get a timing light and see
Old Apr 10th, 2020, 21:44   #259
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammorack View Post
I have actually done a timing light test. When idling it’s out of specs, really far out from 0-15DEG. And on 4000rpm it’s in between 0-15deg. The timing light is not here with me though. So I cannot so a tear with it for now. As it isn’t my tool.

So I have to get a timing light and see
Ok, i thought that might be the case. That's probably causing your rhythmic misfire on idle.

These engines have a reputation for the timing pulley (crankshaft) to distort and that causes things like the cam timing to be out.

Do you know how to find TDC using a screwdriver, bolt or rod in the spark plug hole?

If not, i'll explain tomorrow unless someone else can now, had a long, busy day and the brain cell is jelly so not thinking straight enough to explain properly.

Once you find TDC, you need to recheck the cam timing, i'm pretty sure it will be 2-3 teeth late which in turn will make the timin late and try and fire #2 when it should be firing #1, trying to fire #1 when it should be #3 and so on.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 10th, 2020, 21:58   #260
Ammorack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Ok, i thought that might be the case. That's probably causing your rhythmic misfire on idle.

These engines have a reputation for the timing pulley (crankshaft) to distort and that causes things like the cam timing to be out.

Do you know how to find TDC using a screwdriver, bolt or rod in the spark plug hole?

If not, i'll explain tomorrow unless someone else can now, had a long, busy day and the brain cell is jelly so not thinking straight enough to explain properly.

Once you find TDC, you need to recheck the cam timing, i'm pretty sure it will be 2-3 teeth late which in turn will make the timin late and try and fire #2 when it should be firing #1, trying to fire #1 when it should be #3 and so on.
Super 👍🏻👌🏻

Well i have a cylinder stopper that’s fitted in the spark plug. But it’s originally bought to use on motorcycles. Finding TDC turning the crankshaft and unscrew a plug and check with a tool.

Stupid question - if sometimes it idles fine. Wouldn’t that not be a a timing failure? I don’t kNow. Just a question.

I have changed timing belt and tensioner. But it could have slipped when this problem occurred. so we shall see 👍🏻

I have already marked the timings and 1-2 months ago I checked timingmarks and it were correct. But hey! I’ll check it anyways. Gotta be sure.

Later 👍🏻

Tags
electricity, issues