Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

I Have Returned...

Views : 13143

Replies : 99

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 20th, 2020, 17:52   #21
Foeux

Dear Pals.

It failed but not badly.

- front NS tyre
- bulb
- track rod end

Whilst it is all stuff I could do myself (not tyre actually), I want the mot garage I use to be there once this chaos stops.

For a reasonable fee including labour and parts and test I can have it back on Monday.

750ish for a 12.month mot car seems OK to me,with the added bonuses that it has a plate I like and forms the basis for v8ing.

Thanks for all the interest. I am really glad to be back. I'll edit the videos together and publish it for you.

Fred.

Ps. It. Is NA not. LPT or HPT for those discussing mods and merits.
Foeux is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Foeux For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 20th, 2020, 21:19   #22
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foeux View Post
Dear Pals.

It failed but not badly.

- front NS tyre
- bulb
- track rod end

Whilst it is all stuff I could do myself (not tyre actually), I want the mot garage I use to be there once this chaos stops.

For a reasonable fee including labour and parts and test I can have it back on Monday.

750ish for a 12.month mot car seems OK to me,with the added bonuses that it has a plate I like and forms the basis for v8ing.

Thanks for all the interest. I am really glad to be back. I'll edit the videos together and publish it for you.

Fred.

That's pretty much a pass or would have been if you'd owned it a bit longer - no doubt you would have sorted those things if you'd had more of a chance to do so.

My mistake, i thought i'd seen somewhere it was an LPT. The turbo route becomes more difficult going from n/asp to blown, that said i'm biased and thin the 1UZ would be the way to go!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 20th, 2020, 21:52   #23
volvo always
Premier Member

Quote:
Dear Pals.

It failed but not badly.

- front NS tyre
- bulb
- track rod end

Fred.

All minor faults and easily sorted. I bet more modern cars fail on more!

James.
volvo always is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2020, 09:26   #24
Foeux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
That's pretty much a pass or would have been if you'd owned it a bit longer - no doubt you would have sorted those things if you'd had more of a chance to do so.

My mistake, i thought i'd seen somewhere it was an LPT. The turbo route becomes more difficult going from n/asp to blown, that said i'm biased and thin the 1UZ would be the way to go!
Rightly, I was ribbed for not checking the bulbs. I do not know how easily a v8 will go in. My head calculations lead me to believe the sump will need work, the brake servo will need moving but apart from that the 'does it fit' conundrum seems to produce the answer, 'Yes!'

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo always View Post
All minor faults and easily sorted. I bet more modern cars fail on more!

James.
They certainly can and do. Can't wait for it to be back OTR.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Foeux For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2020, 11:56   #25
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Rightly, I was ribbed for not checking the bulbs. I do not know how easily a v8 will go in. My head calculations lead me to believe the sump will need work, the brake servo will need moving but apart from that the 'does it fit' conundrum seems to produce the answer, 'Yes!'
The Bulb Failure warning light should have lit up every time you hit the brakes, if it didn't, there's a very high chance the bulb failed during the test. Many moons ago a colleagues works van failed the MoT on the rear foglight not working - bulb had blown.

He got plenty of ribbing for that and then i put my car in for an MoT a couple of weeks later.
Despite testing all the bulbs on arrival at the test station, both rear fog bulbs failed during the test, hence a failure! Two new bulbs and a pass certificate was issued.

I also got some ribbing at work over that until i pointed out i had checked them before i left the car at the test station and all was good.
Simple fact is bulbs can fail at any time so i wouldn't worry about it.

Fairly sure the brake servo won't need moving for the V8, plenty of videos on YouTube showing the installation of a 1UZ V8 into 2/7/9xx cars, most are LHD but a few RHD as well, none seem to have moved the servo. This one shows a 240 with a 1UZ in it, brake servo is in the same place :

https://youtu.be/nrDgAitsOrE

Plenty more on there, just that vid shows a nice underbonnet shot. Don't forget it's a 90 degree V8 so each bank is canted over 45 degrees from vertical unlike the original redblock which is 20 degrees to the right from vertical. That means the head will sit below the servo. There's more room in the 7/9xx engine bay than the 2xx but gives you an idea.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2020, 13:51   #26
360beast
Go redblock or go home

If your gonna go to the effort of fitting a V8 you might as well go for a T6 or 2JZ and then have turbo too.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2020, 14:23   #27
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
If your gonna go to the effort of fitting a V8 you might as well go for a T6 or 2JZ and then have turbo too.
Those ideas have their merits Luke but unless i'm mistaken, they also have the added complexity of VVTi whereas the 1UZ is straightforward 32 valve V8 and 250+bhp but either way, the 2JZ is quite a long lump being a straight 6 so might be a bit tight lengthways - a tape measure would confirm.

Old Mar 21st, 2020, 14:29   #28
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Those ideas have their merits Luke but unless i'm mistaken, they also have the added complexity of VVTi whereas the 1UZ is straightforward 32 valve V8 and 250+bhp but either way, the 2JZ is quite a long lump being a straight 6 so might be a bit tight lengthways - a tape measure would confirm.
There's plenty of 2JZ and T6 2/7/900s on YouTube Dave so I believe fitment wouldn't be an issue.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2020, 14:47   #29
Foeux

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
I hear you but Ultimate power is not my goal. I love the idea of smooooooth V8 and I have a serious affinity for the 1UZ.

If you use an early 'thick rod' engine, they take forced induction very happily.

I just like the idea of a brisk, torquey, sonorous, practical, reliable estate that looks nice.

I don't think I'd like to do the bodywork on it, I love how the car wears its mileage.

All subject to change of course...

Last edited by Foeux; Mar 21st, 2020 at 14:48. Reason: Missed a space
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Foeux For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 22nd, 2020, 11:49   #30
Foeux

Just slapping together a video for you all.

Cheers,

F
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Foeux For This Useful Post:

Tags
940, estate, moth, project, volvo