Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 smoking/burning oil

Views : 2049

Replies : 45

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 20:28   #11
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
Hi Dave

Service book for UK suggests 10w 40 semi which is what I've always used.And also just bought to do a change next week. Is 15w 40 better for the engine ? Or an older engine ?

Cheers, Mark
Spot on Mark! In an older engine going slightly thicker (even up to 20W50) can help to reduce oil burning. Go back to the 140 series of the early 70s and 20W50 was the recommended oil.
Manufacturing tolerances have tightend since and the OHV B20 sprouted an OHC arrangement, fuel injection and turbos so the oil was made more suitable. In some climates, even with all that, 20W50 is still the recommended oil.

Most of the time, red blocks don't seem to liek fully-synth as it was more or less witchcraft when the redblocks were first designed. Even in my Rover that's a much more modern design than the red block, fully synth isn't recommended and if someone uses it, fuel economy, power and oil consumption suffer.

My line of thought on this one is the oil the OP used was too thin and has caused him problems, hence suggesting 15W40 to help get things back on an even keel. If it's still burning oil after my suggestions, he's going to need to start taking things apart.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 21:56   #12
aardvarkash10
Master Member

lots of high detergent cleaning products have been used, so I figure that a lot of carbon and build-up has been removed and has exposed old, tired seals.

On over-run, the oil is only likely to be coming from one of two locations - valve stem seals, or rings. Stem seals are a relatively easy problem to solve, rings less so.
aardvarkash10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aardvarkash10 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 22:12   #13
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelle9990 View Post
Here is the plugs! Don’t know why it doesn’t wanna upload the picture from cylinder 3, but I looks like the others soo I guess it doesn’t matter too much
Those plugs look fairly normal, no signs of oil fouling but the gaps look a bit large like about 1.1-1.2mm. Could be camera angle i suppose but try setting them back to 0.7mm as they should be. If nothing else it should run smoother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkash10 View Post
lots of high detergent cleaning products have been used, so I figure that a lot of carbon and build-up has been removed and has exposed old, tired seals.

On over-run, the oil is only likely to be coming from one of two locations - valve stem seals, or rings. Stem seals are a relatively easy problem to solve, rings less so.
That all came into my thinking on the oil i suggested as well Ash.

Thing is, if the smoke is white then it's burning oil after the combustion chamber, if it was blue it would be burning oil and petrol together in the combustion chamber, hence my thoughts about the turbo oil seals. I suspect because of the excessive pressure in the crankcase caused by the blocked breahters, the oil pressure has risen and blown past the turbo oil seals and into the intercooler so is pulled through on maximum vacuum i.e. the over-run when there will be no petrol anyway due to the fuel cut-off.

I coulod be wrong but it's a theory worth exploring and certainly a logical one.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 22:26   #14
aardvarkash10
Master Member

missed the white smoke bit. Still too early here and a french toast/bacon/cream/peaches breakfast had me focussed!
The Following User Says Thank You to aardvarkash10 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 22:44   #15
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkash10 View Post
missed the white smoke bit. Still too early here and a french toast/bacon/cream/peaches breakfast had me focussed!
I hope the peaches and cream weren't on the same plate as the French Toast and bacon?

Old Apr 4th, 2020, 01:30   #16
aardvarkash10
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I hope the peaches and cream weren't on the same plate as the French Toast and bacon?
Of course they were! Very continental/US approach to breakfast.

Home-made pork pie for lunch too! Gotta love being locked down.
The Following User Says Thank You to aardvarkash10 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 4th, 2020, 09:51   #17
Jelle9990

Soooo first move is to clean intercooler(pipes also?) and check the PCV again? If that doesnt work out, 15w40 semi synthetic?

No one wonders why there isn’t coming ANYTHING in my catch can?
Jelle9990 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jelle9990 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 4th, 2020, 10:23   #18
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Soooo first move is to clean intercooler(pipes also?) and check the PCV again? If that doesnt work out, 15w40 semi synthetic?

I wouldn't be to worried about the pcv tbh. My breaker on 220k ran as sweet as anything with no smoke and the pcv pipe was pretty much blocked solid.

I would check pipes that go into your intercooler first. If they are really oily ( not just a normal smearing ) it would suggest the turbo. If not I would say it's valve seals.
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 4th, 2020, 10:55   #19
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:

What Mark said in the post above explains why there's little or nothing in the catch can - there shouldn't be. I was suggesting recleaning the PCV as a precaution but my big suspicion is the intercooler and pipepwork to/from it.

So far most things point to the turbo seals, perhaps they were compromised as i outlined further up because the crankcase pressure forced the oil into a higher than normal pressure and blew past them, causing the original smoking.

I'd still suggest 15W40 semi-synth in place of the fully synth as generally speaking, red blocks don't seem to like fully synth. Also given the heavy cleaning you've done with engine flush etc, as Ash pointed out, it may have taken some of the carbon away that was helping to seal things on an older engine.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 4th, 2020, 12:15   #20
griston64
Premier Member

See notes re oil

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (123.8 KB, 16 views)
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:

Tags
940, b230ft, bad turbo, burning oil