Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 smoking/burning oil

Views : 2040

Replies : 45

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 4th, 2020, 12:35   #21
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
See notes re oil

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]
That and the chart is identical to my Owner's Manual for a 1990 740.

Bob
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 4th, 2020, 12:55   #22
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
See notes re oil

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Is that including the bit about 15W40 and 20W40 Mark?

Also Volvos original choice of words is potentially important - "Synthetic or semi-synthetic may be used ......." as long as it meets API/SG etc.

The key word is may, i suspect their thoughts were people would default to mineral oils which usually have larger molecules than semi-synth and larger still than fully-synth.

Semi-synth is therefore a good all-round choice as while it provides for extended oil changes, it still has a mineral base so the molecules are larger. Fully-synth will extend the oil changes further and is likely to stay in grade longer with constant sustained high speed driving and/or town use/short journeys but having smaller molecules is likely to be more conducive to oil burning.

Hence Volvos recommendation to use 15W40 or 20W40 in engine prone to oil burning.

I'm a big believer in using the oil that was used (or most likely to have been used) when the car was first used. While fully-synth oils were available throughout the life of the 7/9xx range, they were barely available when the B20 pushrod OHV engine morphed into the B21 OHC engine that the 240 used and was later improved further for the 7/9xx range.
As such, it could be considered the engine (in its basic form) is actually a 1960s design and then, even semi-synth was borderline witchcraft!
Fast-forward to the 90s and the chances are, Volvo used semi-synth from new. This would have produced different wear patterns in the engine to mineral or fully-synth oil. As such, using semi-synth would seem to be the most logical and best option.

I note Robs comments about using fully-synth, not knowing when he got the car (how new) or any of its history (did he rebuild the engine for example?) it may be he's used fully-synth and never had a problem. If memory erves, i think he also runs on LPG in which case the engine oil will stay cleaner between changes so less wear will occur when it's due for a change.

The big thing is consistency. Chopping and changing oil brands and types won't do the engine any favours long term and in my experience, semi-synth seems to be what all my 740s were happiest on.

A nte about part-synthetic oil. This is mineral oil with synthetic additives, no more, no less and certainly not a 50/50 blend of mineral and semi-synthetic oils which may or may not have additives as well.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 4th, 2020, 12:56   #23
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
That and the chart is identical to my Owner's Manual for a 1990 740.

Bob
DItto my 1988 760 Bob.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Apr 4th, 2020, 14:18   #24
bob12
bob12

Yes Dave, I have always used semi synthetic 10/40W but, I'll have to ask my mechanic what he's been putting in since I delegated oil and filter changes a couple of years ago. Whatever it is it hasn't created any problems currently. Bob .
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 4th, 2020, 16:47   #25
Jelle9990

The intercooler came out today and there were very little amount of oil in it! I cleaned the intercooler and chargepipes with petrol and now it should be even cleaner than it already was(was very surprised how clean it was!)

I assembled everything and fired it up, let it warm up and reved it and saw the same big cloud of white smoke...

Soooo.... the valve seals might be toasted?

Or the turbo seals are? Is that a hard task to replace or can I do/check it my self?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 50BF78F1-0910-41C6-B684-9F2BC57A4F1D.jpg (51.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 01A1D7FF-314E-43ED-9036-330E3ABBAE8E.jpg (46.3 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Jelle9990; Apr 4th, 2020 at 18:53.
Jelle9990 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jelle9990 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 5th, 2020, 14:17   #26
Jelle9990

Does the T3/T4 turbo fit straight on the original manifold?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/372964639358
Old Apr 6th, 2020, 23:53   #27
Jelle9990

Never mind the question above, don’t know how to delete a post(noob)
I looked further in to it and saw it wasn’t water cooled like the one I have(just saw a lot of videos of b230’s with T3/T4 but that looks like a bigger conversion....

Is there any way I can 100% confirm it’s either the seals or turbo? Or is it 100% the turbo? Like rolling down a hill in gear, take a drive without charge pipe or something like that?

I’m not sure but I think I have a Garret t3 maybe? is that worth rebuilding or should I swap with another?

Last edited by Jelle9990; Apr 7th, 2020 at 00:12.
Old Apr 7th, 2020, 00:22   #28
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelle9990 View Post
Never mind the question above, don’t know how to delete a post(noob)
I looked further in to it and saw it wasn’t water cooled like the one I have(just saw a lot of videos of b230’s with T3/T4 but that looks like a bigger conversion....

Is there any way I can 100% confirm it’s either the seals or turbo? Or is it 100% the turbo? Like rolling down a hill in gear, take a drive without charge pipe or something like that?

I’m not sure but I think I have a Garret t3 maybe? is that worth rebuilding or should I swap with another?
Fairly certain the 760T used the Garrett T3, you can buy replacement cores quite cheaply, i don't know if this is the correct core but gives you an idea :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-Saab-...AAAOSwftZbfROd

Might be worth a look?

*** EDIT *** Sorry, was thinking of another thread about a 760T!

Last edited by Laird Scooby; Apr 7th, 2020 at 00:47. Reason: Wrong thread! Oops!
Old Apr 7th, 2020, 00:39   #29
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Fairly certain the 760T used the Garrett T3, you can buy replacement cores quite cheaply, i don't know if this is the correct core but gives you an idea :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-Saab-...AAAOSwftZbfROd

Might be worth a look?
What year is the car as most 940's used a Mitsubishi turbo
griston64 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 7th, 2020, 10:40   #30
Jelle9990

It’s and 93’ 940 with B230FT with 4 gears with overdrive(m46?) but the middle of the turbo clearly says garret and the front says b.c AIR-48m

Tags
940, b230ft, bad turbo, burning oil