Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 smoking/burning oil

Views : 2046

Replies : 45

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 7th, 2020, 19:36   #41
Jelle9990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
It could certainly have blown a seal or ten Mark and if the loss of oil pressure starved the rings of oil, yes.
With a blcoked PCV system the weakest seals would go first. If they happened to be in the turbo, for example because the PO didn't give the engine a few minutes idling to let the turbo slow down and stop spinning before switching off, the turbo could well have been running dry while it was spinning with the engine off.
The seals and bearings in the turbo won't last long then.
I think it’s the blocked pcv system rather than the “too high” boost... I haven’t cranked it up my self and as I described its a turbo plus version. All I have added was the boost gauge...
I have always been good to let the turbo slow down before shutting off the engine.
Jelle9990 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jelle9990 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 7th, 2020, 20:12   #42
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelle9990 View Post
I think it’s the blocked pcv system rather than the “too high” boost... I haven’t cranked it up my self and as I described its a turbo plus version. All I have added was the boost gauge...
I have always been good to let the turbo slow down before shutting off the engine.
Have you tried the test to see if pcv is blocked ? Either with glove or oil cap upside down on a level surface.

I think I mentioned earlier that the pcv on my breaker car with 220k on it was blocked solid at the y piece and it ran like a dream. Smooth idle and no smoke at all
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2020, 00:24   #43
Jelle9990

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
Have you tried the test to see if pcv is blocked ? Either with glove or oil cap upside down on a level surface.

I think I mentioned earlier that the pcv on my breaker car with 220k on it was blocked solid at the y piece and it ran like a dream. Smooth idle and no smoke at all
If you read my first post again I told how the smoking started and what I did after(cleaned the WHOLE pcv system) and when I put the oil cap on flipped upside down it jumps a little but stays on! I can check it again but as Laird Scooby said that might be the reason why the turbo has blown the seals because I didn’t clean the PCV system before it was too late
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jelle9990 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2020, 22:11   #44
Jelle9990

Calling all turbo experts!
Should I rebuild my Garret turbo or throw it in the bin?
The Following User Says Thank You to Jelle9990 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2020, 22:17   #45
griston64
Premier Member

If you don't have any smoke on acceleration and there is no oil in pipes from turbo to intercooler I would guess it's a valve issue if all the smoke is on deceleration

Have you removed the turbo yet ?
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 9th, 2020, 00:13   #46
Jelle9990

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
If you don't have any smoke on acceleration and there is no oil in pipes from turbo to intercooler I would guess it's a valve issue if all the smoke is on deceleration

Have you removed the turbo yet ?
Well I’m guessing it could be from the exhaust side the turbo seal is done? And I’m guessing the smoke would be more blueish if it was the valve seals?? But I’ve asked like 3 times so far in this thread if there was a way to test if it were the valves or the turbo...
I did try to disassemble the turbo but when it came to crawl under the car to loosen the down pipe my 3weeks old broken collarbone said NO so I assembled it all again lol
And it is not really on deacceleration but after reviving in neutral, between gears doing pulls

Last edited by Jelle9990; Apr 9th, 2020 at 00:15.

Tags
940, b230ft, bad turbo, burning oil