Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

M46 d24tic clutch

Views : 428

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 4th, 2020, 12:26   #1
monkeh
Pain in the backside

Default M46 d24tic clutch

Last year the clutch was replaced by my local garage, with specific instructions NOT to fit a national clutch kit.
It was returned to me with a national clutch kit as it was the only option. Last week, I detected some slippage on boost. Confirmed again this morning.
What are my options? It's a 93 940, d24tic with the m46 plus overdrive. I heard clutch sourcing is difficult for these.
Old Apr 4th, 2020, 22:03   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I only use and stock sachs, National clutches are really just a short term fix for a near end of life car. It either that is strengthened kits for running more power
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2020, 22:58   #3
jor
VOC 20573

I have not had personal experience with replacement, although having had intermittent problems with selection of gear one I assumed that a clutch would be needed and therefore invested 'appropriately', or not.

I see that Skandix have different reference numbers for the turbo and the turbo intercooler clutches (both around 180 euros, they also have a 'top' one (? sachs) for the Tic at 320 euro), one being for all d24 and d24T, the other for all models Tic.

Anyway it would appear that they know what they are on about, as you really will not want to hear about transmissions for awhile after your experience I would be tempted to ask an expert on this e.g. Barry or Bernard at Lakes, or Clan.

jor
Old Apr 5th, 2020, 06:33   #4
barkster1971
VOC Member

Default m46 to M90

My brother put an M90 in mine. So much better, plus genuine Sachs clutch which was £120.
Old Apr 5th, 2020, 22:26   #5
monkeh
Pain in the backside

Quote:
My brother put an M90 in mine. So much better, plus genuine Sachs clutch which was £120.
Think an m90 d24 gearbox is getting rare occurence.

Quote:
I see that Skandix have different reference numbers for the turbo and the turbo intercooler clutches (both around 180 euros, they also have a 'top' one (? sachs) for the Tic at 320 euro), one being for all d24 and d24T, the other for all models Tic.

I might go down the route of getting a skandix supplied clutch then.

Quote:
I only use and stock sachs, National clutches are really just a short term fix for a near end of life car. It either that is strengthened kits for running more power
I dont see any D24 specific kits. Are the petrol clutches the same?
Old Apr 5th, 2020, 22:30   #6
monkeh
Pain in the backside

They sourced a few clutches for this when the garage was trying to fix it. But I think due to its age, condition, mileage, I reckon they wanted to bung anything in it to get it out of their way.
Old Apr 10th, 2020, 16:38   #7
TonyS9
Premier Member

Its the same 228mm clutch as the early 940 Petrol turbo with M46/M47, I wouldn't accept that excuse "only National is available". Its all they could be bothered sourcing from their 1 supplier. What they should have done is offer for you to priovide it yourself or pay them for an hours labour to source a Sachs one.

I think this is the pressure plate;
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kupplungs...wky1aivhHaQEIw

For my 360 I had to mix and match clutch parts to uprate it to turbo spec. The Sachs web site / database is very good for this, you can get the codes for the full kits or bits and pieces and then search for those on ebay or the web. Just don't get caught out database searching companies who say they have everything but only go looking when you pay them money, then try to get it cheap somewhere. They just waste your time, and come back and say its only available on a 3 month turnaround from outer mongolia and will you pay £50 for next day delivery.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2020, 07:08   #8
MiniNinjaRob
Master Member

I hope you didn’t pay them for the work. They did the one thing you told them not to do - I certainly would not have paid them.
MiniNinjaRob is offline   Reply With Quote