Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 960 2.5 litre engine, 24V, SIPS, manual, N reg

Views : 1092

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 6th, 2020, 18:01   #1
NCAshton

Default Volvo 960 2.5 litre engine, 24V, SIPS, manual, N reg

Hi Everyone

We are looking to sell our family car to a Volvo enthusiast who would appreciate it. I would value your help and advice. Car has always been looked after very carefully, FSH. The car is in Didsbury, Manchester. Details are:

VOLVO 960
2.5 litre engine, 24V, SIPS
194,591 K on clock
Manual
Car body undersealed
Bottle green
Beige leather seats

Two days ago unfortunately the driver side window was smashed and the steering lock is damaged. Power steering fluid leaking.

I hope that someone would be interested in the car either as a doer upper or for parts, I know that 960 manual gearboxes are sort after. Before it was broken into two days ago it was in very good condition.

Any transactions would of course be no contact due to current situation.
Thank you very much!
NCAshton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2020, 19:40   #2
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, these scores really do need putting down.

It seems a shame to sell it due to this especially when the most likely outcome is it gets broken, a manual 960 is a rare thing these days.

If the doors are the same as on a 940 then I can supply a used door window for you and I'm sure you could live without the steering lock.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 7th, 2020, 00:59   #3
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Sorry to hear about your misfortune, these scores really do need putting down.

It seems a shame to sell it due to this especially when the most likely outcome is it gets broken, a manual 960 is a rare thing these days.

If the doors are the same as on a 940 then I can supply a used door window for you and I'm sure you could live without the steering lock.
I'm 99% sure the doors are the same Luke, bodyshell is virtually the same on both the 940 and 960.

Also fairly certain the steering lock would be available from a breaker so should be fairly easy to return it to the road.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 7th, 2020, 10:24   #4
NCAshton

Thank you both for your replies. I am very sad about what has happened. It is more than the steering wheel lock - it is the whole steering wheel column that was damaged. It was broken so it could be moved, unbeknown to me.

Also in the current situation it is very difficult to sort things out and I no longer can keep the car where it is parked.

Thank you for your offer of a door. In normal circumstances, and if I had somewhere to keep it, I would, and then get it back on the road. It was always my intention and hope to do that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NCAshton For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 7th, 2020, 10:35   #5
NCAshton

I would love it to go to a Volvo enthusiast and currently only have less than two weeks to move it from where it is at the moment. It isn't about the money, I would just like the car to keep going if possible. But it isn't a good time for people to be moving around the country to collect a car.
The Following User Says Thank You to NCAshton For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 7th, 2020, 10:38   #6
NCAshton

Although haulage firms are still working of course.
Old Apr 7th, 2020, 10:40   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCAshton View Post
Thank you both for your replies. I am very sad about what has happened. It is more than the steering wheel lock - it is the whole steering wheel column that was damaged. It was broken so it could be moved, unbeknown to me.

Also in the current situation it is very difficult to sort things out and I no longer can keep the car where it is parked.

Thank you for your offer of a door. In normal circumstances, and if I had somewhere to keep it, I would, and then get it back on the road. It was always my intention and hope to do that.
Not wishing to pry into your personal circumstances but what's the problem with keeping it where it is?

At the moment i get the impression you'd be willing to sell it below what it's worth just to remove the problem it's causing you, it would be better if there was a way to keep it so you could get it up and running again, there are plenty of Volvo breakers around that will have the bits needed to repair the upper steering column, trim, steering lock etc.

For the sake of that and a door glass and fixing a PAS leak (which could be down to a poorly centralised steering rack before wheel alignment was carried out) it doesn't seem fair for you to lose out on the deal. Have you contacted your insurers at all? Usually if it's vandalism, they will repair it without effecting your NCB or premium, including fixing any paintwork damage caused by the broken glass from the widow.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 7th, 2020, 10:51   #8
NCAshton

Default VOLVO 960 Manual looking for a good home in the North West

Do you know of any Volvo enthusiasts who would want to take the car on?
The Following User Says Thank You to NCAshton For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 7th, 2020, 11:08   #9
NCAshton

Hi Dave
My circumstances are that this is my father's car (Guardian reading Volvo enthusiast) which he has had and looked after for many years. Sadly he died last year. He looked after it very well and his ideal situation was that it would go to someone who wanted it, he thought that someone would. I have been waiting for probate paperwork to come through, which it now has but we are in the middle of a global pandemic.
I rent a flat and have been keeping the car parked in a corner out of the way for 9 months. I have explained the position to the DVLA and so the car has been between keepers. My brother and I now legally own the vehicle. At the weekend, my landlady, who did not know the car belonged to me, organised for it to be taken away, I just happened to be looking out of the window to see it on the back of a truck. Hence the damage. I stopped them and asked them to put it back, which they did. I am very upset about it and reproach myself for not telling my landlady, but I didn't really think I needed to. I now realise that I should have done, because people have been wondering about ownership. She understands why this has happened but I only have a short time to sort it out, less than two weeks.

It could go to a scrap dealers and I know the parts would be taken out first, so hopefully re-used. But I have logged on to here to just see what the Volvo enthusiast community thinks. My intention was to get it sorted and sell it to a good owner this Spring. My preference is that it would go to someone who would appreciate it. But these are unprecedented times and people are more important than cars, even this one! I want absolutely nobody to be put at risk. The scrap dealer who I have talked to would be able to move the car with just one person and a winch, which would be safe. I care about the car, but people's safety is more important.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NCAshton For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 7th, 2020, 11:58   #10
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

First of all, your landlady has a tongue in her head - i'm sure she uses it when she asks for the rent! If it's been there 9 months, and she's not mentioned it/asked if you know anything about it and has decided unilaterally to remove it without checking, she's liable for the damage. I don't know the exact rules of ownership during probate but if the DVLA have given you leeway, there are obviously some rules to be taken into account!

On a more practical note, has your landlady not heard we're in a global pandemic? It's highly unreasonable of her to expect you to be able to dispose of it by whatever means in 2 weeks! Selling it for scrap is not only a waste of what sounds like a good car (ignoring the damage) but would also be emotionally hurtful for you .
Considering it's been there 9 months out of the way in a corner, the damage done to it due to her actions etc i think the least she can do is give you more than 2 weeks to find someone who can come and pick it up to return to the road. Bear in mind a private buyer is likely to turn up with a trailer and due to travel restrictions won't be able to do that for a while.
You either need someone local or someone that has a good enough reason to be out on the road with a trailer to pick a car up to buy it.

Sadly not for me, mainly because it's manual. I'm sure someone on here will be interested in it, again the nationwide travel restrictions won't help. HOwever if you secure an "in principle" agreement to buy it from someone then i don't see why your landlady wouldn't wait until they could reasonably collect it.

Good luck with selling it, hopefully someone else will come along and see the thread. Did you know there is a Sales section on here, also a Wanted section?

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forum...aysprune=&f=14

Should get you to the parent page of both sections.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: