Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 blowing fuse 1 and not starting

Views : 3854

Replies : 108

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 9th, 2020, 17:56   #21
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

see post 16

behind the ABS at the inner wing side will be the RSR, this is powered by fuse 1

(can't remember rhd cars, shoud be the same place)

Last edited by mocambique-amazone; Apr 9th, 2020 at 17:59.
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mocambique-amazone For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 9th, 2020, 18:37   #22
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpurks View Post
Ok so I have found a bulb holder for one of the rear lights with a bulb in it will this work for the tester? I’ll solder a couple of wires on.

Just thinking back, the only wiring that could have possibly been disturbed, was any wiring near to and including the open bonnet sensor, and the wiring to the fan relay, and any other wiring that appears to go towards the back of the headlights near the fan/radiator. I moved this out the way to remove the intercooler. I clipped it all back in place after I re-fitted the intercooler – do you have any idea whether any of these wires could be linked to fuse one? No worries if not!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocambique-amazone View Post
see post 16

behind the ABS at the inner wing side will be the RSR, this is powered by fuse 1

(can't remember rhd cars, shoud be the same place)
Kay beat me to it! If necessary, emove the intercooler again and just make sure you haven't trapped any wired - it's easily done, too easily in fact!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 9th, 2020, 19:43   #23
coolpurks

Cheers, I have now freed up the wires as much as possible but run out of fuses! I will make up the tester, is the idea to them put that into the fuse box? Fuse Position one? Or is that horrific idea! I will have a play around tomorrow hopefully I’ll let you know how I get on. Thanks for all your help it’s really appreciated
coolpurks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to coolpurks For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 9th, 2020, 19:46   #24
coolpurks

If I have caught it though is that not likely I’ve damaged it or will sometimes just freeing it fix it? Cheers!
Old Apr 9th, 2020, 21:25   #25
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Cheers, I have now freed up the wires as much as possible but run out of fuses! I will make up the tester, is the idea to them put that into the fuse box? Fuse Position one? Or is that horrific idea! I will have a play around tomorrow hopefully I’ll let you know how I get on. Thanks for all your help it’s really appreciated
Quote:
If I have caught it though is that not likely I’ve damaged it or will sometimes just freeing it fix it? Cheers!
Now you know why Ash and i both said make the short-tester first!

The 21W bulb won't really be good enough although it might do at a pinch. Once you've made it, fit the wires in place of fuse #1 and then start checking to see if you've still got the fault. You can also see how quickly the fault develops, whether it's the instant you turn the key to KP2 or whether there's a delay of a couple of seconds etc.

You may have freed the cables but they may still be strapped somewhere and/or damaged so they're still shorting out. Only way of doing it is to inspect the whole length of them in the area they would have been trapped.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 9th, 2020, 22:40   #26
coolpurks

Thanks I think I have this- so when the bulb lights there is a problem and if the bulb no longer lights all is good? I am assuming I won’t damage anything by doing this, I only ask because the fuse would normally blow out cutting the circuit but I assume this is drawing the voltage protecting the other components? Thanks!
Old Apr 9th, 2020, 22:47   #27
aardvarkash10
Master Member

the tail light bulb is not big enough - it has to be a headlight bulb. Wired in parallel (both filaments running) a headlight allows about 8A of current which is plenty to run most circuits, but low enough to not damage most circuits in a short.

Yes, you are right about the technique - if the bulb glows bright, you still have a short.

Yes, you plug the bulb in where the fuse goes - instead of the current flowing through the fuse, it flows through the bulb.
aardvarkash10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aardvarkash10 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 9th, 2020, 22:51   #28
aardvarkash10
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Now you know why Ash and i both said make the short-tester first!

You may have freed the cables but they may still be strapped somewhere and/or damaged so they're still shorting out. Only way of doing it is to inspect the whole length of them in the area they would have been trapped.
If you have smelt smoke, there is a good chance that the short is now permanent. Either a live wire has melted itself onto an earth point (including an earth wire) or a component has failed internally and connected a live to an earth. This sometimes happens in relays that fail mechanically.

WIth the dim bulb tester, the easiest way to isolate the location of the fault is to disconnect the harness at each major connector, one at a time.
The Following User Says Thank You to aardvarkash10 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 9th, 2020, 22:56   #29
aardvarkash10
Master Member

use one of these

with one of these

The Following User Says Thank You to aardvarkash10 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 9th, 2020, 23:27   #30
coolpurks

Thank you I will make the tester try and disconnect everything listed in post 16 connect to fuse 1 and then if the bulb doesn’t glow connect 1 at a time...

Is white ground on that bulb holder? Cheers!