Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Newbie - C30 T5 manual or Geartronic choice advice please

Views : 1714

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Geartronic or Manual is the better choice
Geartronic 1 7.69%
Manual 12 92.31%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 12th, 2017, 11:29   #1
SnowEagle

Default Newbie - C30 T5 manual or Geartronic choice advice please

Having decided to buy one of these, I have not found any of the numerous reviews that are very conclusive as to which option would be most suitable so I would really appreciate some comments from actual owners of these models as to the real world plusses and minusses.

Naturally, buying one of these means that I like good performance on a fairly regular basis, and so the manual would presumably provide this in a better manner, but I also do like the convenience of an auto when I'm not pressing on the rest of the time(and my wife likes and has driven Tiptronic autos for years and so that is also a consideration since we will soon be sharing this - 75/25 basis - as our only car). I gather though that the manual shift of the Geartronic isn't all that good? i.e. sluggish for changes, and also jerky on downshifts? So is it good enough without using the override most of the time? Also how reliable are Geartronic boxes please?

What surprised me is that the Powershift box wasn't offered on this model (only the D5 apparently according to my research thus far?) since that would have provided the best of both worlds, but I guess there's a reason why Volvo didn't do this ( £?) - anyway not an option so.......decisions, decisions!
SnowEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2017, 14:54   #2
domhart10
Volvo S40

posted in the wrong section, unless you are planning to sell a car you haven't got?

but id go for a manual

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to domhart10 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 29th, 2017, 09:37   #3
SnowEagle

Default Which forum?

Hi,
Only just seen your reply as I didnt have notifications set up but now changed that.
Am having trouble identifying which forum to post my question on so which one would you suggest please?
Old Nov 6th, 2017, 20:51   #4
dme123
Master Member

The 5 speed AW autobox these use is poor. The engine is torque limited in 1st and 2nd and it's very much a late 90s gearbox and well off the pace of a modern box. They seem to die young with monotonous regularity even in the little C1 platform cars, after a decade of use and refinement in Volvo cars.

The engine has a lovely broad spread of torque so you're not changing gear too often, and the manual has a good feel to it anyway. You also have more (and safer) remap options with the manual. You'll also get an extra 4mpg or so.

If you were looking D5 or at an S40/V50/C70 I'd consider the auto, but for a nice little C30 I wouldn't hesitate to get the manual.
2003 C70 T5 GT Manual
dme123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dme123 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 12th, 2017, 09:07   #5
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Just apropos of the AW55, it's only really in Volvos that it has such a bad reputation for longevity. In Saabs of the era for instance it goes on and on, having had its ATF changed as part of the service schedule. It's not leading edge these days, but it's a perfectly OK box IMHO.

That said, on balance the manual.
Bonefishblues is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonefishblues For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 12th, 2017, 10:11   #6
phil1968
Master Member

I have the Geartronic in a C70 D5 & have to say it's not the smoothest shifting 'box I've experienced. The only time I use the tiptronic is when descending hills to get engine braking because as soon as you ease off the accelerator below about 45 mph the 'box just puts itself in top gear & the revs drop to idle. Other than that don't bother using the tiptronic as it doesn't allow half the selections you want anyway. As said it's an old school auto, just about adequate.

2008 C70 D5 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
phil1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to phil1968 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 12th, 2017, 10:17   #7
SnowEagle

Default Decision made

Well I’ve heard enough to decide now to definitely choose the manual, so thanks for the responses.
Old Nov 12th, 2017, 10:17   #8
phil1968
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishblues View Post
Just apropos of the AW55, it's only really in Volvos that it has such a bad reputation for longevity. In Saabs of the era for instance it goes on and on, having had its ATF changed as part of the service schedule. It's not leading edge these days, but it's a perfectly OK box IMHO.

That said, on balance the manual.
Any idea how often the fluid gets changed in the Saabs as part of their service schedule, just out of interest?

2008 C70 D5 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
phil1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2017, 10:40   #9
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil1968 View Post
Any idea how often the fluid gets changed in the Saabs as part of their service schedule, just out of interest?
72K according to Saab's schedule.
Bonefishblues is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonefishblues For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 8th, 2018, 04:57   #10
SnowEagle

Default Gone for manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowEagle View Post
Well I’ve heard enough to decide now to definitely choose the manual, so thanks for the responses.
Ended up buying a 2011 2.0 Petrol R- Design just today 👍 because I couldn’t find a facelift T5 in my budget. However, I’m delighted with it and whilst the extra performance would have been great to have - and I could’ve bought a pre- facelift T5 - I can live without it and the R- Design updates help to even things out a bit overall. Eg steering, suspension and exterior design changes. Thanks for all the input though and looking forward to reading the forum more often now that I’ve finally got my C30.