Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Replacement for stromberg

Views : 1015

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 24th, 2007, 18:57   #1
Scott Stephen

Smile Replacement for stromberg

Hi all.

I want to replace the nasty Stromberg on my '75 244, 2.1 with a more modern carb. Any suggestions????
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 02:28   #2
Rich 264
Pinball Wizard

From the research I have done the stromberg seems to be actually quite a highly regarded carb but maybe I missed something! It is crude to some tastes but simplicity is definitely a plus in my book after 15years of playing with mature motors!
I had similar thoughts of changing it on mine, and the haynes shows a SU HIF 6 fitment, I have "heard" that the SU's improve mpg and performance but I don't know if there is any substance to this, although again the SU is in some circles highly regarded.

i am going to experiment on my 262 with a B23, by fitting a 740 manifold (ex pierberg with loads of nasty pipes and bits hanging off) and a weber 32/36. I hoping to have similar 'foot to the floor' power output to the k-jet, but hopefully better mpg on 'normal' driving. My old 1800 Jetta with a twin choke went like stink and drank foot down, but normal driving it ran off the vapour in the tank and didn't appear to touch the petrol! (or so it seemed...)

The k-jet is a great system but i resent the way it sucks fuel up even when sat in traffic, i guess thats the weakness with continuous injection, squirting high pressure fuel into an engine even when it doesn't need it...

but getting back to the topic, I'd look into the SU fitting as it should bolt straight onto the stromy manifold, i think they were sold as direct replacement carbs at one time. You can also exploit the jag/triumph/mg etc parts industry as these all used SU's.
Rich 264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 13:03   #3
Fivehundred

There was an SU HIF6 direct replacement kit, I haven't bought one in years, but it contains everything needed. I used to get them from Carburettor Exchange in Leighton Buzzard.

http://www.carburetterexchange.co.uk/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Stephen View Post
Hi all.

I want to replace the nasty Stromberg on my '75 244, 2.1 with a more modern carb. Any suggestions????

Last edited by CTCNetwork; Jul 17th, 2020 at 18:05. Reason: Updated url
Old Jul 17th, 2020, 18:04   #4
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

The Carburettor Exchange website will be moving soon.

Can now be found here:

http://www.carburetterexchange.co.uk/

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote