Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Post-manual conversion thoughts

Views : 575

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 15th, 2018, 11:55   #1
AlexO

Default Post-manual conversion thoughts

Chaps,

So the manual conversion went well at the weekend and I can't tell you how pleasant it is to have a proper gearbox again! I'll have to spend a bit of time relearning how to use this funny pedal on the left again though There are just a couple of points I'd appreciate some help with:

-Engine timing: My B230f is generally a pretty smooth runner. I'm aware it needs a plugs/leads/alternator service but it was running nicely on the auto box once it warmed up. On the M47 I've noticed it's a bit more "chuggy" in a way that my brothers (who've got a lot more experience in this than me) suggest means it needs the timing looked at. Whilst I certainly believe them I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem before? Also if someone could recommend a good classic/volvo garage in the Portsmouth area to have this done I'd be grateful since I don't really want to entrust my car to any old spanner monkey who hasn't seen a 240 before. (extra info: it's running a 60-2 flywheel on LH 2.4)

-Transmission mounts: In my naivety I assumed that an AW70 gearbox mount would bolt straight on to an M47. Whilst the crossmember and mount sort of worked it seems to have stretched the mount in to a pretty wild configuration. Is this just because my whole engine is "slumped" backwards on it's mounts or because I'm using the wrong mounts? A quick google suggests the mounts don't look too different to each other so if someone could suggest how I'm going wrong that'd be brilliant.

Thanks

Alex
Old Oct 15th, 2018, 12:43   #2
iain_o

Get Chris_C to help with the timing, he always has plenty of time to play redblock.

THIS LINK tells you what is wrong with the gearbox rubber bit.

THIS ONE says the crossmembers are different although drilling a new hole or two might fix it.

I wonder if the bit of bent metal is different too? Not my fault though, I didn't play underneath once the box was actually bolted up.
iain_o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2018, 14:09   #3
AlexO

Quote:
Originally Posted by iain_o View Post
Get Chris_C to help with the timing, he always has plenty of time to play redblock.

THIS LINK tells you what is wrong with the gearbox rubber bit.

THIS ONE says the crossmembers are different although drilling a new hole or two might fix it.

I wonder if the bit of bent metal is different too? Not my fault though, I didn't play underneath once the box was actually bolted up.
That make sense Iain since I think I've actually got that rubber mount from when you took the transmission out of the donor car. That said, the rubber is only £16 from Brookhouse (if I can't find it elsewhere) so once I've found a crossmember I'll take a look.
Old Oct 15th, 2018, 14:16   #4
AlexO

Yup, looks like the bracket's different as well. The hunt begins!
Attached Images
File Type: png M47 gearbox mount.png (243.4 KB, 13 views)
Old Oct 15th, 2018, 18:12   #5
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexO View Post
Is this just because my whole engine is "slumped" backwards on it's mounts or because I'm using the wrong mounts?
I've no experience of automatics but I do know the front mounts can slump and distort backwards a lot, to a point where it becomes very difficult to get the rear mount or cross-member holes to align. I'd get the front sorted first - they'll be the ones controlling the engine rocking, which can affect smooth running. The RH one in particular softens from spilled oil during filter changes.
Also you possibly have strained them doing the gearbox swap.

On the chugging, perhaps the Crank Position Sensor or its wire has been disturbed?
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2018, 10:02   #6
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

I'd change the crossmember and see if that helps with the engine running. You might be getting more vibration through the car with the wrong mount on it.

Swap a T5 motor into your RWD Volvo:The Guide
Antz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2018, 10:57   #7
AlexO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antz View Post
I'd change the crossmember and see if that helps with the engine running. You might be getting more vibration through the car with the wrong mount on it.
With you on that one Antz. The more I think about it, the more it seems like a logical answer.

Clifford, the crank sensor seems fine and I havent got any fault codes. I'm more inclined to believe it's the transmission mount because that's the only thing that's change, although you're right to think they potentially got strained in the change.

Anyone got a cross member to hand?!