Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 Auxiliary battery not charging

Views : 15608

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 15th, 2016, 21:02   #21
sniffymoylan

Default Auxiliary Battery

Where did you buy the auxiliary Battery???
sniffymoylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2016, 09:46   #22
muffking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniffymoylan View Post
Where did you buy the auxiliary Battery???
I bought a pet tern one off ebay, although it turned out my main battery was on the way out, so I still have the original Volvo auxiliary for sale if you're interested?
Old Dec 16th, 2016, 11:13   #23
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffking View Post
Finally fixed it!

You were spot on about the car choosing not to charge the Aux battery as it was the main battery that was below par. I bought myself a new multimeter as my old one was reading high, but as the MyCar menu kept telling me that the battery was on charge and that's why Stop/Start was disabled. I ended up measuring the main battery which I found was reading low 12's in the morning, but high 12's after a run, so I suspected that the main battery was losing some of its charge overnight, although not enough to stop the car from starting ok.

Looks like I may have wasted £25 on changing the Auxiliary battery, but someone local had a spare brand new Bosch S4 main battery which I got for £40, so it all worked out in the end

The car must have a AGM type battery for the stop start system to work properly ...
Old Oct 3rd, 2017, 16:41   #24
zork

Hi!

1.My main battery on my V60 1.6D is showing 14.9V while on idle,readings taken with voltmeter on battery terminals... Is it normal? Isn't too much?

2.I am starting to get BATERIE FAIBLE on the dash... The car hasnt moved for weeks now... Should I wory or a ride with the car should do the trick?
zork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2017, 17:30   #25
SwissXC90
Premier Member

14.9V is pretty normal for an AGM battery during the Absorbtion Charging phase at colder temperatures,
Exact voltage depends on state of charge, electrical load, and battery temperature

If the car is showing battery low then you have 2 choices:

1. Charge it with a battery charger, but make sure you use the right type for your battery. if you car is charging at 14.9V, then you likely have an AGM battery and will need a charger capable of handling AGM batteries.

2. Or go for a drive of 30 to 60 minutes to put some charge back into the batrtery.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2017, 00:04   #26
NigelDay
Premier Member

Many of us recommend CTEK chargers. Expensive, but 'intelligent' and will cope with AGM batteries.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2017, 07:18   #27
zork

Ok... Thank you!
zork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2018, 14:02   #28
roryk

I'm having similar problems with Start/Stop and the dealer advised I charge the auxiliary battery overnight to see if that fixes it. But for the life of me I can't find where the auxiliary battery is or any instructions about how to charge it. Any tips?

I have a CTEK charger so will start by just checking the main battery in the meantime...
roryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2018, 14:23   #29
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryk View Post
I'm having similar problems with Start/Stop and the dealer advised I charge the auxiliary battery overnight to see if that fixes it. But for the life of me I can't find where the auxiliary battery is or any instructions about how to charge it. Any tips?

I have a CTEK charger so will start by just checking the main battery in the meantime...
Very poor advice , the Aux battery is only there to power the car after the engine stops … if it never stops the aux battery does not come into the equation . They are well charged by the cars system , failures are extremely rare , I've know of 2 since 2008 .. you would be better off charging your main battery , it can take 24 hours to get it right up which is what it needs ,and remember to put the negative charger lead on the chassis NOT the negative battery terminal otherwise the battery monitor module will not calculate the battery charging current .