Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 8 speed geartronic characteristics

Views : 6182

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 20th, 2016, 20:53   #1
Thorium

Default D4 8 speed geartronic characteristics

Hi All,

I’m interested in views and opinions on the smoothness of the 8 speed geartronic autobox.

I’ve had several V70s and an XC70 with geartronic boxes and these have always performed flawlessly with almost imperceptible gear changes.

The 8 speed geartronic in my current XC60 D4 seems to be quite jerky at times, particularly the 1st to 2nd change when moving in slow traffic, and seems worse after a motorway cruise (think queuing on the exit slip road). I’m not sure if this is a ‘normal’ characteristic for this ‘box so I’d value any thoughts from other owners before I take it to the dealer. The dealer I use have been great and I’ve had many cars from them, but it’s quite a long way and I don’t fancy a long trip to be told ‘it’s normal’!

The car is a MY15 XC60 D4 FWD and has done 13,000 miles.

Judging by the lack of threads on the forum on this gearbox, i'm guessing mine needs 'looking at'. Opinions welcome!

Matt
Thorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2016, 08:50   #2
Agouti

I was actually a bit disappointed that my 6 speed S60 wasn't smoother... so either mine is jerkier than it should be or the 8 speed is horrendous!

From what I've read the 8 speed is meant to be butter smooth so it sounds like yours might need attention. With the 6 speeds I believe the first step is a transmission fluid change plus triggering an adaptation or relearn phase. Wouldn't surprise me if the 8 speed was similar.
Old Jul 21st, 2016, 09:07   #3
Bloke

Mine sounds similar to yours so I'll be interested to know the outcome of this.

While most of the gear changes are fairly smooth, 1st to 2nd is as you describe and also as you say worse when in slow traffic.

Paul.
Old Jul 21st, 2016, 13:43   #4
GusGecko
from C30 to XC60

Is it any different in sport mode? Better/worse/no difference?

GusGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2016, 14:35   #5
Dan85

I've got a MY16 D4 FWD Geartronic too and my experience is the same. While I've not tried sport mode a lot (will give it more of a go) slow speed changes are much more jerky than I expected.

Worst element for me seems to be accelerating from a slow speed after slowing down i.e. when slowing for a roundabout or to go over a speed hump. The car always seems to jerk itself into too low a gear when starting to accelerate again

Like you Matt, I've been thinking something must be wrong!

Dan
Dan85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2016, 15:12   #6
MikeIOW
Premier Member

I've had mine for about 35K miles now, and to my mind it is silky smooth.

Not to say you cannot feel all changes, and lower down I guess it is easier to just make them out, but in comparison to all other autos I have driven, this is the doggies doodahs!

Now it is the first I have owned....but I always felt other autos I have been n over the years have been a bit clunky. I guess BMW ones tend to get good reviews, and I actually took a punt on mine without testing just because I figured the newer 8-speed boxes ought to be good....& they do go VERY well with the DSP etc......

Sounds to me like yours may well need looking at. Perhaps you can combine it with a test drive of another one (or two) at the dealer for YOU to see if you notice the difference? One man's clunky gearbox could be another man's silky smooth!
Old Jul 21st, 2016, 15:46   #7
AngloScot
Master Member

I have had the odd clunk in mine from 1st to 2nd, but not very often. Overall I'm very happy with the geartronic, smooth as the dogs heehaws and drives beautifully. Just finished washing mine, but no polish this time as too hot. I just love it, black metallic and silver alloys sparkling. Ahem til the next sandstorm from the Sahara anyway.
Old Jul 21st, 2016, 16:58   #8
Considered1
Premier Member

Been in love with mine since I got it, really smooth.
If the car is new to you or had any updates the gearbox does learn your driving style apparently.

Obviously if you are heavy footed its easy to throw your passengers around but no worse than any other car, esp given the weight of the thing.
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2016, 21:47   #9
Thorium

Thanks everyone for the thoughts. Having had various geartronic T5/D5 V70s and an XC70 D5 and covered approximately 100k miles in each without issue, I was expecting the same silky smoothness with the 8 speed box. Whilst it's not horrendous by any stretch of the imagination, it has been lumpy enough on occasion to prompt passengers to comment.

I'll contact the dealer and see what they say. I've used them for years and they've always been honest and helpful, so I'm sure I'll get sensible advice and opinion. I'll let you know the outcome.

Thanks again everyone.

Matt
Thorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2016, 00:08   #10
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Pretty certain it should be smoother than the older autos!
Good luck