Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

145 Auction - Help

Views : 7824

Replies : 68

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 20th, 2022, 06:46   #41
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Hi,

Guy with wheels for sale on eBay, did email me back a YT link showing a walk around of his 145 that I think should be posted on eBay over the weekend sometime.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9wTZwi...ature=youtu.be

Think that this one would be one for Luke😀 as in my novice eyes, it looks to have twin Webers and possibly banded wheels??

Anyone interested then I'd suggest contacting seller on the wheel posting, no idea on what he'll be looking for it though......

Cheers
Steve
Thank you Steve,

I watched the video: that 145 is just like Marmite - people either love it or they hate it. I'd be firmly in the hate it camp: I can see no point whatsoever warming up a cooking car and I don't like the banded wheels. It always seems to me that one would have been better off buying a better or faster car in the first place.

I'm no stickler for originality: I couldn't care a damn if something has been modified to extend the lifetime of a motor car or is just sensible (like fitting electronic ignition or modern tyres for example). There will be plenty of folk (including on this forum) that disagree with me of course, and that is just fine.

I've dipped in and out of this thread: do I recall correctly that the auction is today? Did you decide to attend or bid remotely?

Good fortune,

Alan

PS. I've just had a look at the (very good) auction bidding site. It looks like the 145 (lot 278) will come up towards the end of this afternoon.

I would not trust myself to attend the auction - I'd just come back with a full bike trailer every time, maybe the odd motor car as well. An Onyx Bobcat 4:

... or Lomax 223 - how cool would one of those be for popping down to the Wetherspoons for breakfast on a Sunday morn!

Last edited by Othen; Aug 20th, 2022 at 08:25.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 20th, 2022, 10:14   #42
Steve 940
Premier Member

Hi Alan,

Yes it is today, and after a bit of time thinking about what I would want from that car, I landed on the 'it's not one for me at £7-£9k guide price.

Realistically it's unlikely to steal a bargain around £4-£5k, and I just couldn't trust myself to register to bid online.

Also a slight problem being the sister in law hosting their annual family BBQ this afternoon, exactly around the expected lot time. Might get rather disapproving looks using the phone trying to follow the auction😀

Yes the varied lots with ACA are usually very interesting and tempting, and I expect the Bobcat would probably go for not too much £...

Just for interest around the following Wednesday/ Thursday after the auction, they post actual sales results on the auction catalogue.

Have a great weekend, cheers,
Steve
Steve 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 20th, 2022, 11:03   #43
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Hi Alan,

Yes it is today, and after a bit of time thinking about what I would want from that car, I landed on the 'it's not one for me at £7-£9k guide price.

Realistically it's unlikely to steal a bargain around £4-£5k, and I just couldn't trust myself to register to bid online.

Also a slight problem being the sister in law hosting their annual family BBQ this afternoon, exactly around the expected lot time. Might get rather disapproving looks using the phone trying to follow the auction😀

Yes the varied lots with ACA are usually very interesting and tempting, and I expect the Bobcat would probably go for not too much £...

Just for interest around the following Wednesday/ Thursday after the auction, they post actual sales results on the auction catalogue.

Have a great weekend, cheers,
Steve
Ah, that is interesting - the sold lots bit. Does ACA post a list of unsold lots that might be available if someone put their hand in their pocket a little deeper (many property auction houses do that)? If so I might see if the Bobcat or the Lomax might still be available... :-)
Old Aug 20th, 2022, 11:13   #44
Wolvesbully

Default 145 for sale

Thanks Steve for the heads up on the 145 for sale watched the you tube video sadly not for me want something more original.I’ll post an official wanted ad maybe get more coverage
Regards to all Mick
Wolvesbully is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wolvesbully For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 20th, 2022, 11:19   #45
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Ah, that is interesting - the sold lots bit. Does ACA post a list of unsold lots that might be available if someone put their hand in their pocket a little deeper (many property auction houses do that)? If so I might see if the Bobcat or the Lomax might still be available... :-)
I'm pretty sure that the catalogue does indeed show unsold, if you go on the website, select Classic, and then results from drop down list, you can get a list of the June auction.

Just had a look and it gives sale price for lots sold, some still have just guide price, so I assume unsold.

Happy viewing, must be some bikes on there you need👍👍

Cheers
Steve
Old Aug 20th, 2022, 11:45   #46
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:

Happy viewing, must be some bikes on there you need👍👍

Cheers
Steve
... there are always bikes I need :-).
Old Aug 20th, 2022, 20:06   #47
Steve 940
Premier Member

Just to update, despote being at a family BBQ this pm, I couldn't resist so kept an eye on the You Tube live feed from the auction of the 145.

As perhaps expected, bidding started at £5k crept to £5.4k and auctioneer said a Very provisional as guide £7-£9k so well under reserve.

Cheers
Steve
Old Aug 20th, 2022, 20:14   #48
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Just to update, despote being at a family BBQ this pm, I couldn't resist so kept an eye on the You Tube live feed from the auction of the 145.

As perhaps expected, bidding started at £5k crept to £5.4k and auctioneer said a Very provisional as guide £7-£9k so well under reserve.

Cheers
Steve
The market has spoken? We’ll see!🤔
Old Aug 20th, 2022, 20:36   #49
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:

Cheers
Steve
... is it worth interjecting with your own bid at (say) £6,000 on Monday morn?

Alan

PS. I like public auctions: they are the acid test of real worth. As Andrew says, the market has spoken and we now know a 145 like this is worth rather less than the £7,000 to £9,000 the owner thought it was. How much less? That is the question.

Last edited by Othen; Aug 20th, 2022 at 20:40.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 21st, 2022, 06:55   #50
Othen
Premier Member

... talking of 145 values, I saw this one on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144665488...Bk9SR8LUyu7XYA

... now, I'm 99% sure it is the same one that we discussed on the 'Seriously?' thread on 22 Nov 20 - when the asking price was £4,000. Either it never sold and the seller is still trying to hawk it, or someone bought it, realised it was a bag of barf and is trying to unload it at any price.

It is quirky (LHD 145 Express), but almost worthless of course; that isn't my point though, which is that many people think their old motor cars are worth much more than they really are.

Keep looking Steve - £5,000 sounds like a perfectly good budget to buy a good old Volvo to me. What is so special about 145s though? For about half that you might find a good 245, which would be a much better motor car.

:-)