Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

smart motorways?

Views : 5179

Replies : 105

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 15th, 2019, 04:55   #21
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
I have done and yes it does, but the steering is so vague you need to be 100% alert to avoid the trees. There is NO dozing off in a series.

Paul.
You just pass out from fatigue on a long run You are right though, having had three Land Rovers, 6 LDV/Freight Rover you become used to correcting the steering after a while and it becomes second nature.

TT
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 17th, 2019, 20:27   #22
Marty Dolomite
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis View Post
Smart motorways. It's just another entrapment method to upset motorists.

Got hit by one last week. The gantry was showing 60mph, as had the last three gantrys. There was no reason to presume anything might change. The traffic was flowing perfectly smoothly. I was in the middle lane overtaking a lorry. At 60mph, using cruise control. Someone was overtaking me at about 65 I'd guess.

Suddenly the gantry changed to 40mph, only yards before I passed it. Both me and the driver beside me braked sharply, but not sharp enough. We both got the tell-tale double flash of the speed camera.

Now as everyone on this forum knows, I hate speeding offenders with a passion. And yet here I find myself.

Not recieved the summons in the post yet. But I wouldn't be suprised.

It's the modern way. Machines are telling us what to do, and we must comply.
you won't receive one, there is a 90 second delay in the sign changing and speed infringement.
Marty Dolomite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marty Dolomite For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 17th, 2019, 20:34   #23
Marty Dolomite
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
And in the light of both government AND manufacturers promoting drivers incompetence...
(Automatic brakes, automatic lights, automatic "stay in lane" thingy, plus distractions "Facebook built into dashboard" etc)...

Of course its all, ALL, motorists' fault, no?
Who is in control of switching off facebook or their phone, who is in control of the car auto braking will only become active if the driver isn't paying attention, lane departure warnings will only activate if the driver strays across lanes because they either haven't indicated or aren't paying attention.

Incase you're not sure its the driver who is the one control the cars and everything inside it.
Marty Dolomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2019, 14:45   #24
jamei305

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis View Post
Smart motorways. It's just another entrapment method to upset motorists.

Got hit by one last week. The gantry was showing 60mph, as had the last three gantrys. There was no reason to presume anything might change. The traffic was flowing perfectly smoothly. I was in the middle lane overtaking a lorry. At 60mph, using cruise control. Someone was overtaking me at about 65 I'd guess.

Suddenly the gantry changed to 40mph, only yards before I passed it. Both me and the driver beside me braked sharply, but not sharp enough. We both got the tell-tale double flash of the speed camera.

Now as everyone on this forum knows, I hate speeding offenders with a passion. And yet here I find myself.

Not recieved the summons in the post yet. But I wouldn't be suprised.

It's the modern way. Machines are telling us what to do, and we must comply.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendolfc View Post
You will not receive anything if it was as you described, enforcement is inactive until 60 seconds have passed following a speed limit reduction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Dolomite View Post
you won't receive one, there is a 90 second delay in the sign changing and speed infringement.
Lots of misinformation about this. It's 10 seconds, which at 60mph is 286 metres.

Here is the wording of the legislation:

"1) No person shall drive a vehicle on a section of road which is subject to a variable speed limit at a speed exceeding that indicated by a speed limit sign.
3) In relation to a vehicle, the speed limit indicated by a speed limit sign is the speed shown at the time the vehicle passes the sign, or, if higher, the speed limit shown by the sign ten seconds before the vehicle passed the sign."
jamei305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2019, 21:34   #25
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamei305 View Post
Lots of misinformation about this. It's 10 seconds, which at 60mph is 286 metres.

Here is the wording of the legislation:

"1) No person shall drive a vehicle on a section of road which is subject to a variable speed limit at a speed exceeding that indicated by a speed limit sign.
3) In relation to a vehicle, the speed limit indicated by a speed limit sign is the speed shown at the time the vehicle passes the sign, or, if higher, the speed limit shown by the sign ten seconds before the vehicle passed the sign."
Thanks. I'm aware of what the legislation says and what the numerous FOIs to various police forces and highways England state too, e.g. this one https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...3400.docx.html

Quote:
Response – When the speed changes from national to variable there is a minimum of a minute before any enforcement begins. Every time the speed limit changes the same period is applied before enforcement.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2019, 21:57   #26
The Thong
VOC Member

I have to say, since the work up by J19 on the M6 has been completed it’s been far better. People need to get their heads out of their arses though and start using the N/S Lane and stop Kane hogging do the whole system can function better.
Old Apr 21st, 2019, 10:40   #27
Ukwide

The Highway Code states the following:

Rule 268

Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

But I also says once you have moved to a right hand lane to overtake a slower moving vehicle, you should return to the left hand lane as soon as it’s safe to do so, - but they don’t!
Ukwide is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ukwide For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 21st, 2019, 10:52   #28
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukwide View Post
The Highway Code states the following:

Rule 268

Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

But I also says once you have moved to a right hand lane to overtake a slower moving vehicle, you should return to the left hand lane as soon as it’s safe to do so, - but they don’t!
Some people move into the centre lanes and stay there, I’ve seen em do it countless times
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 21st, 2019, 18:13   #29
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thong View Post
Some people move into the centre lanes and stay there, I’ve seen em do it countless times
To be frank..

That's what I do.

Now, before I get stoned to death, please observe, that to do it, I make sure few conditions are met, and at any given moment, if these conditions change, I will amend my course to make it easier for others:

Condition 1, possibly most important:
Lane to my right needs to be either free, or moving faster than me.
On rare occasions I will go into right most lane, but that's under heavy traffic.

Condition 2

Keep observing rearview mirrors.
If someone wants to overtake and it will be difficult for him/her to merge into lane to my right- I'll make space. In other words- thinking if others.

Condition 3

There actually IS traffic in lane to my left

May not be to everyone's liking, this, but I won't be classed as lane hogger, all right?
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ThomasG For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 21st, 2019, 18:37   #30
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
To be frank..

That's what I do.

Now, before I get stoned to death, please observe, that to do it, I make sure few conditions are met, and at any given moment, if these conditions change, I will amend my course to make it easier for others:

Condition 1, possibly most important:
Lane to my right needs to be either free, or moving faster than me.
On rare occasions I will go into right most lane, but that's under heavy traffic.

Condition 2

Keep observing rearview mirrors.
If someone wants to overtake and it will be difficult for him/her to merge into lane to my right- I'll make space. In other words- thinking if others.

Condition 3

There actually IS traffic in lane to my left

May not be to everyone's liking, this, but I won't be classed as lane hogger, all right?
But a lane hogger is exactly what you are Thomas.
If you and everyone else moved back to the left hand lane after you passed the vehicles in the left hand lane then both right hand lanes would be open for others to overtake, because you sit in the middle lane you obstruct that lane and force any wanting to overtake you into lane 3 if they are permitted to do so. Remember hgv and towing vehicles are prohibited from entering lane 3.

Poor lane disapline and lack of enforcement have made Britain's motorways a nightmare for any driver trying to obay the rules. In many areas it survival of the fittest and anything goes and due to lack of enforcement it is now the norm.

I preffer lane 1 with hopefully proffesional drivers that understand give and take, the problem arises when folk sitting in the middle lane lock me into lane 1.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post: